Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 07:49 AM

388 posts, read 200,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post
You are not getting it. Classified information: Top secret, Secret, Confidential. Intentional disclosure and passing to third party is a crime, Period.
you are not getting it. substantial criminal acts are not ultimately protected by any level of secrecy.

suppose there were plans for a coup to overthrow the country-- do you still think classifying that top secret, confidential makes it a crime to report on it? if so, i think youre leaning on being consistent more than youre leaning on sense.

the law of the constitution overrides the law of congress.

youve got the whole thing upside-down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2019, 08:32 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamicjson View Post
you are not getting it. substantial criminal acts are not ultimately protected by any level of secrecy.

suppose there were plans for a coup to overthrow the country-- do you still think classifying that top secret, confidential makes it a crime to report on it? if so, i think youre leaning on being consistent more than youre leaning on sense.

You’re not getting it. He was in the military. He was under written orders to safeguard the information he had access to. He violated that lawful order and was prosecuted under the UCMJ. If I was the presiding military judge, I would have him convicted of treason and if the firing squad was off the table, confine him to solitary confinement until he died.

Old 03-09-2019, 12:26 PM

5,301 posts, read 6,181,559 times
The murder of civilians in Iraq by a US helicopter gunship crew- exposed by Manning.

https://collateralmurder.wikileaks.org/

The mass murder of civilians in Vietnam kept secret for 19 months until exposed by reporter Seymour Hirsch.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.a2a878539b3c

Information is often classified to avoid embarrassment. It has nothing to do with national security.

Old 03-09-2019, 12:57 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
The murder of civilians in Iraq by a US helicopter gunship crew- exposed by Manning.

https://collateralmurder.wikileaks.org/

The mass murder of civilians in Vietnam kept secret for 19 months until exposed by reporter Seymour Hirsch.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.a2a878539b3c

Information is often classified to avoid embarrassment. It has nothing to do with national security.
But lying, cheating, and stealing is the American way.

All of those who blew the whistle on government corruption are heroes. All those vilifying them are traitors.

Old 03-09-2019, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
He left because the government is going to come down hard on anyone exposing their lies. Is this really a question you needed addressed?

You seem to not want to address your support of the government lying to us. In Mannings case they were covering up the murder of innocent people.
No, he knew his actions were illegal. If he believed he was right, he shouldn’t have run. So he is a weasel and a huge wuss.

Old 03-09-2019, 06:45 PM

Quote:
I've explained myself. You won't.
I did. And he was on the military. Different set of rules. You are wrong in all ways in this.

Old 03-09-2019, 06:57 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamicjson View Post

He did not vet each and every document to determine if it was criminal or not, there were numerous documents that were classified that were not related to anything criminal at all. Also, disclosing to parties like Wikileaks is not on the list of actions protected by whistle blower laws, in fact, he did not contact a single appropriate authority.

He did a data dump is all he did, he should still be in prison for it.

Old 03-09-2019, 07:00 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Lies should not be classified as something that is protected.

Even if that were true there was far more involved than "lies".

Old 03-09-2019, 07:02 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,523,517 times
Quote:
I addressed that. How many times do I need to address it? Please, give me an exact number.

Lies should not be classified as something that is protected. Exposing lies is exactly why we have whistleblower laws. The government should not be above the same standards.
He dumped 700,000 documents to wikileaks. Were they all lies? Thats what you need to be true to sustain your argument.

Old 03-09-2019, 07:14 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Manning is refusing to provide info on Julian Assange
Manning is going to jail to protect info re how s/he was contacted and passed information

The supposition is Assange crossed the line and was working with or helping Manning. He was already skirting the line claiming to be a jouralist but if he was enabling the act in anyway there is no question about a crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies