Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 11:59 AM

50,232 posts, read 46,991,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Then you admit there's nothing to worry about, so why would you feel the need to run around with a gun?

Why does a cop need one. What makes someone in LE more important than the common man?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2019, 12:05 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,950,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Then you admit there's nothing to worry about, so why would you feel the need to run around with a gun?
Why do you feel the need to lock your door when you leave?
Why do you feel the need to lock your car when you parked?

It’s a concept called “individual responsibility” that I am responsible for my own safety & welfare.

Look it up. Stop relying on government (police) to protect you & solve your personal problems.

Old 03-11-2019, 12:16 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,960,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
This is someone who talks out of his/ her empty studio apartment.

Let's look at real life cases, the State of Arizona (or Nevada, or insert "State with Open Carry" here) have wild shoot outs? A minor auto fender-bender ended up in wild shoot outs? Is Arizona (or Nevada) has a higher gun crime rate than LA?

Get a life. Learn how things work in real life outside of your studio apartment.
Dear Lord, you really do have nothing. Try to argue the points made, not the daydream you came up with to make yourself feel better. Oh, and Heinlein wrote fiction.

Old 03-11-2019, 12:21 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,950,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Dear Lord, you really do have nothing. Try to argue the points made, not the daydream you came up with to make yourself feel better. Oh, and Heinlein wrote fiction.
I don’t argue with hypothetical that you dream out of your head. Instead, i’d encourage you look at real life cases where people do open carry and see if your “hypotheticals” fit in real life cases. The fact that it doesn’t should point to your flawed arguments.

Old 03-11-2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
I don’t argue with hypothetical that you dream out of your head.
I don't think I posted hypotheticals. Someone made up something about "wild shootouts" and - for some reason - studio apartments, but that wasn't me, IIRC.

Quote:
Instead, i’d encourage you look at real life cases where people do open carry and see if your “hypotheticals” fit in real life cases. The fact that it doesn’t should point to your flawed arguments.
I have no idea what you're on about. English not your first language? I merely objected to the idiocy that an armed society is polite qua it being armed. Even provided historical counterexamples.

Old 03-11-2019, 12:59 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,818,755 times
I know we don't have moderators here that actually moderate threads but technically political threads are not allowed here so take it somewhere else

Old 03-11-2019, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
I know we don't have moderators here that actually moderate threads but technically political threads are not allowed here so take it somewhere else
Yeah, I let myself be provoked.

Old 03-11-2019, 01:09 PM

427 posts, read 367,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Why does a cop need one. What makes someone in LE more important than the common man?
2A is meant to help protect against an over zealous government. 1980's Rampart was the perfect scenario of LE gone wrong.

Old 03-11-2019, 01:12 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,149,140 times
Quote:
Judging from your post, you obviously have no awareness of your surrounding when you walk in a neighborhood.
Oh, good, you led with the ad hominem as opposed to reserving it for later. Strong move.
Quote:
It's only when the predator is on top of you then you realized "oh s^&*", that maybe too late, then you cry out for help and wonder why no one comes to your aid? You probably grew up in a safe neighborhood and the idea of being aware has never enter into your mind. Sorry to say, guys like you are like sheep waiting to be slaughtered in a bad neighborhood. Your body language is like a neo sign flashing the word "VICTIM" all over the street.
Yeah, here's the thing - guys like me (whatever that means) generally don't tend to find ourselves in bad neighborhoods because we're risk averse enough not to jump in a lion's den if we can avoid it. What's the alternative you're proposing? Keeping constant vigilance and a finger on the trigger at all times? You do realize most rapes don't happen in dark alleyways, right? Here's a not-so-difficult-to-imagine hypothetical for you: a woman goes out on a run. Where would you have her keep her weapon?
Quote:
Nothing can replace a mental awareness of where you are and your surroundings! Do not be like the fools who walk with their eyes glued to there phones! Be aware of your surroundings and those who approach you. Gun is always the last resort in protecting yourself. Sometime it's enough just to show you're armed but always be prepared to "stop" your adversaries.
Yeah, nothing in my post suggested that you should ditch situational awareness. But no matter how much you continue to delude yourself that you can foresee a dangerous situation, you still don't have eyes in the back of your head and nor does this hypothetical woman.
Quote:
This comment comes from a person who obviously let his imagination gets a better of him. You should read my prior post above, the fact that you have a gun does not instantly transform you to a demon-possessed maniac. What's stopping the same guy from physically assaulting you under the same circumstance without a gun? Use your brain, do not fear-monger.
No, this comment comes from someone who is capable of reading and analyzing a quote that, taken out of context, makes an asinine point. No fear mongering. Just good ol' one-upping of one ridiculous statement with another.
Quote:
There, I corrected your fixes.
No, you didn't.
Quote:
You need to experience gun culture
No, I don't.
Quote:
and stop letting the paranoia and your imagination run wild.
I'm not.
Quote:
Be an informed citizen
I am.
Quote:
not a scary-cat like the Liberals want you to be.
I'm not (and the word you were looking for is "scaredy").

Last edited by highlanderfil; 03-11-2019 at 01:58 PM..

Old 03-11-2019, 01:14 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,231,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
That's really a silly question. If you don't know the difference between an armed Police Officer and a cosplay cowboy packing "bling" I just can't help you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
View detailed profiles of: