Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 11:32 AM

18,429 posts, read 8,258,982 times

Advertisements

...does AI think they all look alike??...are we ever going to get over this crap?

People with Dark Skin at Higher Risk of Being Hit by Self-Driving Cars, Study Finds

'AI has a problem. Apparently, it's racist. Specifically, self-driving cars are racist because people of color have a greater chance of being run over by one than white people do, according to a new study published by the Georgia Institute of Technology.

The study concludes that the existing recognition technology used in self-driving cars has a harder time recognizing humans the darker their skin is.

It’s easy to start fretting about the coming robo-takeover and all its attendant Terminator and I, Robot-esque predictions about how artificial intelligence is coming for humanity. But for the moment, the real concerns about new technology aren’t so different from the old concerns: systemic bias against people of color.'

https://pjmedia.com/trending/people-...s-study-finds/

Last edited by Corrie22; 03-09-2019 at 12:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2019, 11:37 AM

24,461 posts, read 17,203,514 times
Oh boy I can hear it now from some well intentioned but clueless Democrat "the big companies that are stealing from the poor and destroying the middle class are purposely building a racial bias into their cars" and they would go on with "we need to break up these racist conglomerates and force them to hire a more diverse staff in key top positions in their board rooms"

BIG UGH.

Old 03-09-2019, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Oh boy I can hear it now from some well intentioned but clueless Democrat "the big companies that are stealing from the poor and destroying the middle class are purposely building a racial bias into their cars" and they would go on with "we need to break up these racist conglomerates and force them to hire a more diverse staff in key top positions in their board rooms"

BIG UGH.
...follow the link...they are already saying that

Old 03-09-2019, 11:42 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
Didnt they say recently when they permitted those 2 AI systems to start developing their own language, a lot of it was actually pretty racist, seems like this was about 10-12 months ago, and they had to shut it down ultimately.

Old 03-09-2019, 11:43 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,867,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
...does AI think they all look alike??...are we ever going to get over this crap?

People with Dark Skin at Higher Risk of Being Hit by Self-Driving Cars, Study Finds

AI has a problem. Apparently, it's racist. Specifically, self-driving cars are racist because people of color have a greater chance of being run over by one than white people do, according to a new study published by the Georgia Institute of Technology.

The study concludes that the existing recognition technology used in self-driving cars has a harder time recognizing humans the darker their skin is.

It’s easy to start fretting about the coming robo-takeover and all its attendant Terminator and I, Robot-esque predictions about how artificial intelligence is coming for humanity. But for the moment, the real concerns about new technology aren’t so different from the old concerns: systemic bias against people of color.

https://pjmedia.com/trending/people-...s-study-finds/
You should put things you quote directly in quotations. Your entire post was lifted from the article without attributing that it was.

That said, the fact that you copied and pasted the entire article except the last paragraph is telling. Let's hear the rest of the story now:

Quote:
Look, the fact that researchers are working hard at finding solutions for the problems with current recognition technology undercuts claims of "systemic bias against people of color" as it relates to self-driving cars. Researchers recognize that people of color have a 5 percent greater chance of being struck by a self-driving car than a white person, but the problem is in the technology not in the latent racism of the developers. There are variables creating this issue in the technology that aren't connected to the motives of the developers. The GIT study states, "Common challenges of Pedestrian Detection include: occlusion by other objects or people, changes in clothing, and diverse lighting conditions."
Seems the technology still has some bugs. What a shocker.

Old 03-09-2019, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
You should put things you quote directly in quotations. Your entire post was lifted from the article without attributing that it was.

That said, the fact that you copied and pasted the entire article except the last paragraph is telling. Let's hear the rest of the story now:

Seems the technology still has some bugs. What a shocker.
Jude...are you someone's mother?...you're not mine

I posted the link, anyone that wants to, can read it all...I'm not going to post it all...and that's what's telling

If you can't figure out that everything below the title is from the article...tuff

Old 03-09-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Jude...are you someone's mother?...you're not mine

I posted the link, anyone that wants to, can read it all...I'm not going to post it all...and that's what's telling

If you can't figure out that everything below the title is from the article...tuff
It's in the TOS. And you did deliberately omit the one and only part of the article, the conclusion, that disagreed with your agenda. Sorry if pointing that out to those reading here distresses you, but that's the truth.

Old 03-09-2019, 12:18 PM

293 posts, read 120,964 times
Quote:
It's in the TOS. And you did deliberately omit the one and only part of the article, the conclusion, that disagreed with your agenda. Sorry if pointing that out to those reading here distresses you, but that's the truth.
Hmm...I wonder what quality in Corrie, would cause them do such a thing

What a mystery

Old 03-09-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:

Yes Mother....so I hid it by posting the link...and you easily found it by following the link

...the entire article is 13 pages

want me to post the entire 13 pages next time.....

we can play a game that fits your agenda too....I'll leave out one word....and you try and find it

Old 03-09-2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Yes Mother....so I hid it by posting the link...and you easily found it by following the link

...the entire article is 13 pages

want me to post the entire 13 pages next time.....

we can play a game that fits your agenda too....I'll leave out one word....and you try and find it
I didn't write the TOS.

Meanwhile....your title is a lie, and it appears even you know it. But carry on. I've done what I set out to do by exposing that fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies