Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 07:28 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,769,712 times

Advertisements

White people have more money on average than blacks and Hispanics. Therefore they spend more money on stuff, the production of which causes air pollution. Blacks and Hispanics, with less money on average, tend to live in less desirable places closer to sources of pollution. So they suffer more pollution-related early deaths which are, ultimately, the fault of white people.

Quote:
While we tend to think of factories or power plants as the source of pollution, those polluters wouldn't exist without consumer demand for their products.
The researchers found that air pollution is disproportionately caused by white Americans' consumption of goods and services, but disproportionately inhaled by black and Hispanic Americans.
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...ntent=20190311

Old 03-12-2019, 07:29 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,721,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
White people have more money on average than blacks and Hispanics. Therefore they spend more money on stuff, the production of which causes air pollution. Blacks and Hispanics, with less money on average, tend to live in less desirable places closer to sources of pollution. So they suffer more pollution-related early deaths which are, ultimately, the fault of white people.

Thanks for summarizing the article so succinctly.

Old 03-12-2019, 07:34 AM

50,357 posts, read 47,109,092 times
How odd. Most everyone I see sitting on a tractor is an old white farmer dude. For that matter driving a diesel anything.

Old 03-12-2019, 07:45 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,385,633 times
There is nothing particularly controversial about what this study demonstrates. Pollution follows production follows demand. The highest demand comes from those with the most resources, those who can afford to insulate themselves from the pollution caused by their consumption. The only thing new in all this is the quantification of the different burdens borne by the rich and poor as a result of production. Those who are concerned about the consequences of their choices will view this study as further support of their convictions while those who don’t will ignore it as usual.

Old 03-12-2019, 07:48 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,872,138 times
I will let Mr. White Privilege aka Beto O'Rourke know of your findings... he will let you know what his "hispanic" side says and then continuing living and depending on White Privilege... Isn't it a wonder that he gets $100 million to run for Senate while people of color get very little... I wonder if the Democratic party will call him out and demonize Beto... nah.... he's a rockstar after all... of White Privilege Central aka Austin, TX...

Old 03-12-2019, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I will let Mr. White Privilege aka Beto O'Rourke know of your findings... he will let you know what his "hispanic" side says and then continuing living and depending on White Privilege... Isn't it a wonder that he gets $100 million to run for Senate while people of color get very little... I wonder if the Democratic party will call him out and demonize Beto... nah.... he's a rockstar after all... of White Privilege Central aka Austin, TX...
Huh?

Old 03-12-2019, 07:51 AM

50,357 posts, read 47,109,092 times
A picture of Hollywood with smog. Perfect for the article since no rich, white people live in Hollywood. Hollywood is just POC driving old beater f-150s with 2 stroke lawn mowers and leaf blowers in the back.

Old 03-12-2019, 07:51 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,387,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post

So, I guess we can glean, from the overwhelmingly white NPR, two suggestions to combat pollution:

1) Kill white people.
2) Make everyone poorer.

Old 03-12-2019, 07:53 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,872,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Huh?
The whole article is about White Privilege.. maybe you didn't get it...

Old 03-12-2019, 07:59 AM

A couple of years ago, I watched a Canadian documentary that followed the adventures of a family that signed on to live with the trash they created through their consumption for a period of time. It may have been a year. I don’t recall. In any case, all of the garbage they created, from diapers to to-go containers to orange peels, ended up in their garage. Within just a few days, they experienced a complete turn-around in their consumption habits. Funny what happens when we have to live with the consequences of our choices. Many of us, and I include myself, have grown comfortable and with the idea that we can just send our pollution away, but there is no away. Someone, somewhere is dealing with it. The study above just puts a number on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies