Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of the past 8 Presidential elections would you reverse the result of?
1988 3 1.88%
1992 10 6.25%
1996 1 0.63%
2000 31 19.38%
2004 4 2.50%
2008 57 35.63%
2012 10 6.25%
2016 44 27.50%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 10:44 AM

23,736 posts, read 14,846,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
During 8 years he did as much damage as any other President in history. Packed the Courts with left wing extremist judges. Weaponized the executive branch against his fellow countrymen. Pandered to America's enemies and terrorists abroad.

We haven't even seen the entirety of the harm his presidency caused.
You may want to read up on the many empty courtrooms during the Obama years. IIRC, over 100 federal courtrooms remained empty for years because MeConnell would not allow any nominee to come to a vote. Trump got to appoint those judges. So as far as court packing goes, nobody holds a candle to the Republicans
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
Easy -2008. Worst prez in my life time (and since it seems to matter to some of you, I'm 72) because he hates the US and did his best to change it for the worse. And as usual, any criticism of him on here automatically gets you labeled as "raaaacist" because what he did as prez is otherwise indefensible.

Had 9/11 occurred on his watch, he would have apologized for putting those big buildings in the path of the planes....
I call BS

In the summer before 9-11 we had an out of town houseguest, a former employee of DH.
We invited all of her friends over for dinner. As the party wound down a few good friends remained. The SO of a friend started talking about something awful was going to happen. He was pretty specific and agitated. He was a former spook.

I paid no mind to him as I was cleaning up because I figured anybody in that position would not be talking that way to strangers. Just figured he had had one too many Obans. Well, the rest sure let me have it the afternoon of 9-11. Seems he pretty much told us what was going to happen.

As far as Cheney goes. When he left Halliburton he had a lot of deferred compensation. Halliburton was about to go under because they had not done any due diligence on a business they had purchased that had a huge amount of contingent liability. Cheney had to save Halliburton or lose his bankroll.

The loss of all lives, here and abroad, and the amount of treasure pissed off would lead me to change the result of the Bush/Gore election.

FWIW, you can thank Al Gore for CD and your access to it. He was the number one promoter of everyone having access.

Old 03-14-2019, 11:09 AM

5,884 posts, read 2,151,393 times
2000 election set the climate for what we have now in politics. Even if 9/11 happened the same way we wound not be in Iraq and our time in Afghanistan would have been focused on terrorism, not rebuilding the country. Therefore no ISIS or Syria conflict that involved the USA.

We had a balanced budget, surplus of funding that could cover Medicate or SS needs. We were in a better place overall compared to 2008 when Bush left office. We have been at war nearly my entire adult life in the Middle East, its had a direct impact on my family, friends, and those I work with. Add to that, 50% of my adult life has been spent working in a declining economy under a recession or a wall street bubble burst. Hard to plan for retirement when you have to worry that you might lose half your gains every 10 years.

Old 03-14-2019, 11:10 AM

20,867 posts, read 23,401,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
Gore and the democrats were just as anti-Iraq as the republicans and Bush
al gore in 2000...4 months before elections....."""There can be no peace for the Middle East so long as Saddam is in a position to brutalize his people and threaten his neighbours""""...al gore

===============================
"
Iraq's search for weapons of mass destruction has proven impossible to completely deter and we should assume that it will continue for as long as Saddam is in power.

We know that he has stored secret supplies of biological and chemical weapons throughout his country."

Al
Gore, Former Clinton Vice-President
Speech to San Francisco Commonwealth Club
September 23, 2002
------------------
Al
Gore said last night that the time had come for a "final reckoning" with Iraq, describing the country as a "virulent threat in a class by itself" and suggesting that the United States should consider ways to oust Saddam Hussein.

"Even if we give first priority to the destruction of terrorist networks, and even if we succeed, there are still governments that could bring us great harm. And there is a clear case that one of these governments in particular represents a virulent threat in a class by itself:
Iraq. As far as I am concerned, a final reckoning with that government should be on the table."

The New York Times
Gore, Championing Bush, Calls For a 'Final Reckoning' With Iraq
February 13, 2002

=================================
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
Who said the following:

AL Gore 2002

Both by Bill Clinton in 1998.

So with those two statements by Clinton in 1998, that is where George Tenet, Clinton appointed director of the CIA and later held the same position in the Bush administration, who give that false information to Bush.

John Kerry 2002.

Hillary Clinton 2002.

All were acting on fake information given to them by Bush and Cheney. I highly doubt Gore would have gone into Iraq. He was much smarter than that.

Old 03-14-2019, 11:12 AM

20,867 posts, read 23,401,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
Could you explain that^^^ statement? Do you honestly believe if Gore had been president 911 wouldn't have happened?

Did you know that during Bush's term of eight years in office that 630 US military death occurred in combat in Afghanistan? But during Obama administration 1777 American military personnel were killed and during the first two years that Trump has been in office 20 have been killed and most of those were by the so called Afghan military.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...n-afghanistan/
Amazing how you have totally left out Iraq. 4000+ Americans as well as over 100,000 Iraqis were slaughtered there thanks to Bush and Cheney's war. I see that Conservatives have blacked out that war from their memory now.

Old 03-14-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
2000 election set the climate for what we have now in politics. Even if 9/11 happened the same way we wound not be in Iraq and our time in Afghanistan would have been focused on terrorism, not rebuilding the country. Therefore no ISIS or Syria conflict that involved the USA.

We had a balanced budget, surplus of funding that could cover Medicate or SS needs. We were in a better place overall compared to 2008 when Bush left office. We have been at war nearly my entire adult life in the Middle East, its had a direct impact on my family, friends, and those I work with. Add to that, 50% of my adult life has been spent working in a declining economy under a recession or a wall street bubble burst. Hard to plan for retirement when you have to worry that you might lose half your gains every 10 years.
Hard to be retired 20 years living on dividends, too.

Old 03-14-2019, 12:09 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,358,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
You may want to read up on the many empty courtrooms during the Obama years. IIRC, over 100 federal courtrooms remained empty for years because MeConnell would not allow any nominee to come to a vote. Trump got to appoint those judges. So as far as court packing goes, nobody holds a candle to the Republicans
Reid was in charge of the senate for the first 4 years of Obozo....

Old 03-14-2019, 12:17 PM

5,230 posts, read 6,151,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post

BTW - Back then Cheney advised Bush Sr not to go into Iraq for all the right reasons. Why he did a 180 as VP with Bush Jr is one of the questions I'd like to aks him personally if I could.

I voted to keep the Manchurian candidate out, as he was a disaster on many fronts, not the least of which he stirred racial animus to a level I have never witnessed in my lifetime.

Schwarzkopf, Powell, Scrowcroft, and Baker carried more weigh than Cheney in terms of having the elder Bush's trust and respect.

Old 03-14-2019, 12:30 PM

6,098 posts, read 3,320,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
All were acting on fake information given to them by Bush and Cheney. I highly doubt Gore would have gone into Iraq. He was much smarter than that.

False information give to Bush by the Clinton administration and the director of the CIA.... George Tenet.

Please re-read what Clinton said in 1998.

Old 03-14-2019, 12:37 PM

5,884 posts, read 2,151,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Hard to be retired 20 years living on dividends, too.
That is my goal but i'm getting worried I wont make it if another recession hits. Glad to hear your able to do it, encouraging in fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies