Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2019, 08:49 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,690,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
yupper, totally agree, and here's the bad part....b/c their parents did this, now the kids will raise their kids to believe that it's ok to do this....

My aunt used to have a saying...if you don't want your dog on the sofa, don't EVER let them get away with it one time, b/c if you do...you've lost....and enabled them....

Same with kids....
Indeed. This will be the legacy they leave their children.

What’s really sad to me is that this daughter knew how important it was to her parents that she and her sister go to college because the parents didn’t.

And yet neither of them worked hard enough to make that happen honestly.

I do believe that the parents worked hard for their success. It’s a real shame that they didn’t impart that ethic to their children.

Meanwhile much less privileged kids all across this country internalize their parents’ hopes and dreams for them and work their butts off to achieve them with nowhere near the guarantees of success that these girls are assured.

What a slap in the face this is to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2019, 08:51 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,904,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Limousine Liberals, strike again!
It is all an illusion for them.
Lol... Only on this cesspool of a forum would people make this political.

Old 03-13-2019, 08:56 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,690,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The thing is that these incompetent children of privilege for whom their parents paved their paths with gold are endowed with power and influence as well. Some go on to positions in industry and government that they are entirely unqualified for. They might even become president!
If any good comes from this, it’s that maybe people will be a little more skeptical about the supposed bona fides of these born to privilege, particularly when those individuals’ words and actions clearly contradict those alleged accomplishments.

Old 03-13-2019, 08:58 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,571,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Lol... Only on this cesspool of a forum would people make this political.
Now, that's funny - "cesspool of a forum" from a person who has posted over 10k times

And as an aside, only the usual LWLTs say it isn't political. Of course it is.

Old 03-13-2019, 09:02 AM

24,596 posts, read 9,434,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
This isn't partisan unless your naïve enough to believe that only one political affiliation has money and the will to bypass admissions. We should be able to agree that this is wrong but here some are arguing over whose party is worse rather than condemning the action, and we wonder why we end up with bad governance.
The offenders in this case are rich white liberals elites, facts are facts. Again, this is how Obama got his kids into Harvard.

The left only pretends to care about the average Joe, while they’re bribing their way up the social ladder for their kids to perpetuate educational and opportunity inequality for the foreseeable future.

This is why people of color have had no choice but to sue these elite liberal colleges.

Old 03-13-2019, 09:02 AM

14,215 posts, read 4,585,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
Exactly. It's human nature to do what you can legally or illegally, but know at the end of the day you're effin over many who don't come from privelaged backgrounds. The whole reason for affirmative action.
affirmative actions gives preferential treatment to colored/minority kids (mostly black and Hispanic kids). In another word, Beyoncé or Michael Jordan's kids have better chances to apply for elite schools than white or Asian kids from working families.

That's why elite schools should get rid of affirmative action based on race and start implementing preferential treatment based on social class/income.

Old 03-13-2019, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
Now, that's funny - "cesspool of a forum" from a person who has posted over 10k times

I enjoy it. What can I say

But man... Sometimes...

Keep in mind, most of my time on this site is in other subforums, but I mostly post here these days because the nonsense really gets to me. The "cesspool" is in regards to this subforum, if that wasn't obvious.

And to your last point... Please show how this is political. What does that even mean in this context? Lol......

Old 03-13-2019, 09:07 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,103,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post

Only if you can prove that all of the people charged are of one political ideology. Otherwise it'a a case of rich people buying their lazy-a$$ed entitled kids a way into college.

Old 03-13-2019, 09:09 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,103,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
The offenders in this case are rich white liberals elites, facts are facts. Again, this is how Obama got his kids into Harvard.

The left only pretends to care about the average Joe, while they’re bribing their way up the social ladder for their kids to perpetuate educational and opportunity inequality for the foreseeable future.

This is why people of color have had no choice but to sue these elite liberal colleges.
Do you have a link to your claims?

My guess would be no.

Old 03-13-2019, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
affirmative actions gives preferential treatment to colored/minority kids (mostly black and Hispanic kids).

That's why elite schools should get rid of affirmative action based on race and start implementing preferential treatment based on social class/income.
I think you're right. But I'd go a step further and target investment in low income regions. Education, access to amenities (e.g eliminating food deserts would be huge), etc.

By the time kids are through highschool, it's hard to get them back. You have to work with them and show them that they're worth it early on, middle school and earlier.

I work with some disadvantaged youth weekly, as part of a program through my company, where we introduce science to them, and it's really great. You can see it in their eyes when you show them things. They're smart, but most never really thought of science as a potential thing they could do... When they work with us, you can see the light switch turn on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies