Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2019, 09:37 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
The thing is this has always been a very corrupt country in every institution as well. Jim Crow was literally legal corruption. Corrupt the system to keep "undesirables" from the top of American society. If you ask me things have been getting better the fact that this is even a big of a deal that it is. Tells me that we've come along way.
More transparency, yes, but we have to keep these systems responsible to the people, who they serve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2019, 09:38 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I don't think she has a good point at all. Her damage is that her degree from Stanford is now subject to the perception that it is less legitimate?
It's a lame argument in an attempt to support a cash grab.

Old 03-14-2019, 10:08 AM

19,209 posts, read 16,696,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Who's supposed to pay for that?
The schools can eat it. If they allowed these cheats to bribe their way in, then students who gains admittance by honest means should be given a break too.

Old 03-14-2019, 10:15 AM

19,209 posts, read 16,696,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
The ringleader (as he is being referred to in the media) testified on Tuesday that he helped ~750(!) families.

Lots of people should be worried right about now.

“The ringleader behind a $25 million college admission scam that implicated dozens of people, including Hollywood actresses Lori Loughlin and Felicity Huffman, said he has worked with more than 750 families.â€

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...ssions-n982666
Yes, they should be. This isn't done. The more they dig, the more dirt they're going to find. I think a lot of people who haven't had a knock at the door yet may be getting a little nervous.

Old 03-14-2019, 10:32 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
Here's the first student lawsuit. She has a good point as well. https://abcnews.go.com/US/elite-scho...ry?id=61679252 I assume there'll be way more to come.
It is a very good point.

Sadly, anyone attending one of these schools could indeed be tainted by this scandal.

It's going to be interesting to see where this goes.

Old 03-14-2019, 10:43 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
It is a very good point.

Sadly, anyone attending one of these schools could indeed be tainted by this scandal.

It's going to be interesting to see where this goes.
I disagree. And opening that door means that anyone who is attending or who has attended could make that complaint. The colleges were victims. But there is nothing in this case that says that the rigorous education provided by these colleges was impacted negatively.

Old 03-14-2019, 10:51 AM

5,341 posts, read 4,429,096 times
Stay on topic, please. This thread is not for speculation about Trump, Obama Warren or their children. It's also NOT about affirmative action.

There's plenty to discuss without bringing them into it.

If it comes out that any of the aforementioned are involved in THIS SCANDAL, only then would it be appropriate to add them to this thread.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.

Old 03-14-2019, 10:51 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I disagree. And opening that door means that anyone who is attending or who has attended could make that complaint. The colleges were victims. But there is nothing in this case that says that the rigorous education provided by these colleges was impacted negatively.
And why not?

Sure, the colleges can claim that they were victims, but clearly a lot of someones didn't do their due diligence.
Think about it: how well did these kids' transcripts track with their SAT/ACT scores?
Were there anomalies? Personally, I think that there had to be.

Similarly, all of the sports stuff. The Georgetown student who was in on it, claimed that she had traveled all around the country playing tennis. Did anyone check? Ask for the schedules of these tournaments?

I think that the fallout from this remains to be seen. And I do believe that there is a certain demographic that will be considered suspect.

Old 03-14-2019, 10:54 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
One of the actresses got a million dollar bond imposed. A million dollars! OK, I get that they are putting on a show for us little people, but perps get less than that for murder.

Old 03-14-2019, 10:55 AM

21,933 posts, read 9,503,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
The schools can eat it. If they allowed these cheats to bribe their way in, then students who gains admittance by honest means should be given a break too.
They would have to pay the loans off. The loans are not on their books. They are on the lenders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies