Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 03:17 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
When did people get so thinned skinned? Telling Polish jokes, Irish jokes, etc.. ot jokes about states are what some people do, out of pure jest.

I personally don't tell jokes like that, because even in the most casual crowd, feelings can be hurt.

I doubt he resigned over the joke, there must be other more serious matters behind his resignation than telling a joke.
I'm guessing if someone takes exception to a racial joke, their "thin-skinned". Thanks for the gaslighting moment. The truth is, some people have never liked people making cracks at their ethnicity. And I would never make Polish jokes, especially in front of any Polish person.

If some elected official was making racist jokes like that, especially of people of my ethnicity, that tells me that person has a very low opinion of my ethnicity. That tells me that person has a bigoted mindset. I should do what I can to make sure that person is voted out of office the next time around.

There might be some underlying problems, but when an elected official, specifically the mayor, makes bigoted remarks like that, it reflects poorly on the city he/she presides over, and it will make some people question the mayor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2019, 04:25 PM

19,603 posts, read 12,206,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
More like I'm trying to prevent the attack of those who might say "I'm looking for handouts". I wasn't trying to imply being against it. I was saying that while I don't use it, I get that there are those who need it. My way of saying that I'm not against it.
Meh, don't worry about saying it. I hope I never have to use any of those programs either but many people really need them right now and unless something changes, they will for the foreseeable future. I really feel for poor people in rural areas who have little anyway, and some politician wants to make sure they have nothing, or proceeds to humiliate and threaten them for seeking some crumbs. Especially when they are still building multi million dollar homes for the rich on the coast.

Old 03-12-2019, 05:19 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,806,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Says someone who has never lived in Maine. I lived there. There is no "collective mindset". But please, continue to think so - the more who stay out of the state the better.
I was talking about the people who lump all Mainers or anyone else, Republicans, etc. as racists, or any other ist, ism, phobe. IOW I was agreeing with you. I loved Maine and thought its people wonderful.

Old 03-12-2019, 06:28 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Meh, don't worry about saying it. I hope I never have to use any of those programs either but many people really need them right now and unless something changes, they will for the foreseeable future. I really feel for poor people in rural areas who have little anyway, and some politician wants to make sure they have nothing, or proceeds to humiliate and threaten them for seeking some crumbs. Especially when they are still building multi million dollar homes for the rich on the coast.
I would never want to use welfare. I come from a middle class home and it would scare me if I ever had to use it. However, I get it if someone else truly needs it. I really hope someone never has to use it. However, this is my way of thinking about it. Better to have that safety net there without ever needing it than to need it and it's not there.

It is hard for me to imagine Maine and welfare in the same sentence together. I know Maine has a large safety net compared to Georgia where I currently live. Certainly bigger than Mississippi. However, when I think about states where welfare dependency is the highest, I think about: Mississippi, West Virginia, Alabama, Kentucky.

Mississippi and West Virginia are both states with alot of rural poverty and alot of problems. West Virginia's coal industry isn't supporting as many people as it used to. Mississippi ran on the plantation system for a long time, and then mechanized farming changed things. Alot of rural poverty in Mississippi, and more people live in rural areas than cities in Mississippi.

It is bizarre that LePage would want to snatch the safety net away. He grew up very poor, and was homeless at one point in his life.

Old 03-12-2019, 10:57 PM

18,560 posts, read 7,362,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
No surprise that Maine's most famous bigot, former Republican Governor Paul Lepage, and the state GOP endorsed Bouchard.
Lepage's critics are the bigots. Every time he is criticized, it turns out he's the good guy, and his critics are advancing hateful positions of their own.

As for Bouchard, I don't know anything about him excerpt for this stupid comment.

Old 03-13-2019, 12:02 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,397,655 times
I have said racist jokes but I would be hesitant to do that were I a politician!

Old 03-13-2019, 12:22 AM

10,206 posts, read 15,910,503 times
But Maine is a reliably Democrat state and has always been. There's liberal New England for you.

Old 03-13-2019, 01:03 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,397,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
But Maine is a reliably Democrat state and has always been. There's liberal New England for you.
There should be a Maine called Bleeding Heart.

Old 03-13-2019, 01:05 AM

5,888 posts, read 3,222,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Let it. Then people won't flock up there and will leave it to be a peaceful place. What 2 leaders did is not indicative of the entire state of Maine...but man can the left not ever seem to figure that out.

The people of Maine go by the idea of "live and let live". Until you get downeast, into the Portland, Augusta, Lewiston area where the liberal flock - then all bets are off. The rest of Maine doesn't give a flying pig's carcass what color you are, they care about your character.

Go ahead, assume Maine is "completely racist". Speaking of which, "Maine is too white", according to bigots in the NYSlimes:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/27/u...mid=tw-nytimes

Read the article. It includes NH, Maine, and Vermont.

One person cried that she couldn't speak Spanish every day. No one is stopping her from speaking Spanish, and how egotistical to think that we need to change the "whiteness" of states because someone got their fees fees hurt.

What the Mayor said was wrong. Assuming that means everyone there is racist, is also wrong. And spare me any tears about "there goes Maine again" when the leftist pukes in the propaganda arm of the Dem party want to destroy the way of life up there so someone can speak f-en Spanish.

I don't care what you, or anyone else on the left, thinks of Maine. Leave it alone.
Ayuh.

Old 03-13-2019, 04:43 AM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
I was talking about the people who lump all Mainers or anyone else, Republicans, etc. as racists, or any other ist, ism, phobe. IOW I was agreeing with you. I loved Maine and thought its people wonderful.
My bad. Sorry for misunderstanding. I've seen enough Maine bashing on social media - and I know how it really is because I lived there. I may be 3000 miles away now, but if I decide against Alaska, I'm going back to Maine, because it is the most peaceful place I've ever lived. It really is a "live and let live" state - for now - until the idiot Dems get their venomous claws into it. I was telling another person on this forum who lives in Maine that even though I'm not a "true Mainer", because I was not born and raised there, I'm still very protective of it even though I didn't live there as long as they have. I fully understand why they don't want people coming up there and trying to change things around. Some may want more businesses to go up there, but I like that it doesn't have a lot of people. The more who don't live there, the better.

By the way, something I've never understood:

In high school, we had exchange students, and the people who ran that would try to put students from other countries into areas that were relatively similar to where they lived. If someone came from a warm climate, they wouldn't first pick the coldest climate that they could.

Why are all of these "refugees" being shipped from hot climates to the coldest ones we have? They put Somalis in the north - that makes no sense. Why not put them in climates that they are used to, or closer to what they are used to?

That's really a rhetorical question - I think I know why - but no one seems to even blink at the fact that it's going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies