Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 03:22 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,598,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
The French Canadians came in large numbers and settled all over northern NE during the industrial era. There were tensions between them and other immigrant groups, who felt marginalized. LePage is a descendant of French Canadians and Bouchard probably is too. Now it's hard to find a Yankee up there. So, yes their ancestors kind of took over the state from Yankees, and changed the way of life, they shouldn't throw stones. In fact many of them did not assimilate well, and did not learn English even while other immigrant groups from far away places were happily assimilating. So, hmm.
2nd reply.

Part of the point I was making was this. Throwing stones isn't a good idea. And it is something you brought up. One shouldn't throw stones. Portland is another example of a Maine city that has seen its share of immigration over the years. Alot of Irish, as well as French, settled there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2019, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
LePage did not discriminate, he didn't care about any poor people, native Mainer or not. He made a specific dig toward poor rural folks and their recreational vehicles or boats. Like that makes them wealthy. They live in the wilderness in a single wide and they can't have a way to fish or get around in the mud, or they lose any assistance.

It doesn't matter what the wealthy elites want. These programs for the poor which survived thanks to Mills, such as expanded Medicaid, are income based. That does help the rural whites.

Also - Bouchard the former mayor is an idiot, and the woman who he had an affair with is a snake.
This whole situation is like a rotting carcass. It stinks and can only make one sick. Paul LePage lacks empathy and seems like a jerk. I would think he would understand what it's like to go through some really rough times. Something tells me he is as pompous as some of so-called "elites".

Now, as for Bouchard, he has embarrassed his city with the antics he pulled. Some people are only going to know Lewiston for the wrong reasons, which isn't a good thing. Bouchard is an idiot. He and that woman are pretty much nutty.

Old 03-14-2019, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
All I had to do was read the title of this post to form my opinion, and that is I am embarrassed by this person who should know better. Where in hell is his brain?
Bouchard knows better. Shane Bouchard decided to be the way that he is and it shows. He has a brain, he chose not to use it. A better question is this: Where is his heart at?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies