Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 10:26 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,912,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
And you are spewing fact? eat your vegetables junior ...

Is this AOC?

Soy beans use land in abundance tractors,combines use fuel sure other grow op's use energy,equipment,water you must be very young and naive.Animals have been on this planet doing what they do forever now its a crime to use what God has created.I guess we all might as well hold our breath and die to stop green house gases we all expel to appease the moronic left.
Of course vegetables and fruit require resources and land. I didn't claim they don't...odd response.

You might want to reread the post I made. The point was pretty obvious.

I apologize if this reality upsets you, but resource allocation for raising animals for human consumption, particularly in factory farms, is incredibly more intensive on the planet than just vegetables and fruits.

I'm not a vegan, by the way - if that matters to you. Although I haven't eaten meat in a few years, I'm not against it entirely, particularly when done in sustainable ways. I also do still consume things like cheese from cow's milk, although I'm pretty selective on farms when I can be.

And while we (Humans) have eaten meat for a long time, it wasn't in the quantities that Americans consume it today (on average in every single meal vs. once a day or every few days). Honestly, things wouldn't be so imbalanced if we didn't get so much food from agribusiness factory farming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2019, 10:36 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,999,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Of course vegetables and fruit required resources and land. I didn't clean they don't...odd response.

You might want to reread the post I made. The point was pretty obvious.

I apologize if this reality upsets you, but resource allocation for raising animals for human consumption, particularly in factory farms, is incredibly more intensive on the planet than just vegetables and fruits.

I'm not a vegan, by the way - if that matters to you. Although I haven't eaten meat in a few years, I'm not against it entirely, particularly when done in sustainable ways. I also do still consume things like cheese from cow milk, although I'm pretty selective on farms when I can be.

And while we have eaten meat for a long time, it wasn't in the quantities that Americans consume it (on average in every single meal vs. once a day or every few days). Honestly, things wouldn't be so imbalanced if we didn't get so much food from agribusiness factory farming.

Guess we should all starve and die then ...

Old 03-13-2019, 10:49 AM

50,298 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
I'm okay with it.

If you have the gov't/taxpayers providing your meals then you do it on their terms and accept what they give you.

Don't like it, brown bag it or have it delivered.

Can we still say "brown" bag or is that on the things-you-no-longer-should-say list?
Remember this?

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...icle-1.3661449

Old 03-13-2019, 10:54 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,562,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
Guess we should all starve and die then ...
Now you’re just being over the top. I suggest you do some reading about it. That poster is correct, it’s well known.

Old 03-13-2019, 10:55 AM

2,417 posts, read 2,989,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Love grilled cheese and I'm not against the idea of cutting back on meat but let it be something the people decide to do.
Let the people decide? Are you proposing that we have elections to set school menus? I'm all for democracy, but the people don't have to decide every little detail.

Old 03-13-2019, 11:01 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
If parents want their children to have something that is not on the menu, then they can pack a lunch for them. They can even send a big fat steak for them if they so choose. My kids didn't like most of the things served at school, so we packed lunches, problem solved.
There ya go, problem solved.

Someone did mention that some schools don't allow students to bring lunch from home. I cant imagine that going over well in my area.

Old 03-13-2019, 11:03 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,562,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
There ya go, problem solved.

Someone did mention that some schools don't allow students to bring lunch from home. I cant imagine that going over well in my area.
Yeah, I’ve never heard of that one before.

Old 03-13-2019, 11:06 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
I'm with you, of course.

But realistically, letting people do what they want won't lead to sustainable practices. It just won't.
There is an ever growing segment that eats no meat at all. As I get older I've cut back. Not particularly for the reasons the mayor states, though I am good with that but for my health so it all works out the same. People can understand.

Old 03-13-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
LOL

Yeah, meatless Monday's will save the planet, along with buying a $50,000 Tesla automobile.
What's the price have to do with it? Today, it's a better option than a $50k SUV.

Old 03-13-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepie2000 View Post
Let the people decide? Are you proposing that we have elections to set school menus? I'm all for democracy, but the people don't have to decide every little detail.
We do that in most places. They are known as school boards. That is where things like this should be decided anyway, not with a mayor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies