Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 09:41 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,749,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Perhaps they should change the name of their store to something else now that the nutters no longer shop there
Yeah, call it bankrupt...

Old 03-13-2019, 10:37 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,822,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
They don’t believe in 2nd amendment and don’t care for gun owners. Fine its their business and they can run it anyway they want. However as a gun owner I can take my business else where.

https://investorplace.com/2019/03/di...rop-dks-stock/
Your logic doesn't follow their press release.

They are stopping gun sales because of declining sales -- LOL.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...es/3142257002/Dick's Sporting Goods announced Tuesday it will remove firearms from 125 of its stores, according to news reports. The move follows the company's ban on assault-style weapons last year in the wake of the Parkland shooting.

CEO Ed Stack said Tuesday that Dick's will pull hunting gear from 125 stores starting in around August in response to its slumping sales in those stores, Bloomberg reported, a move that may spread to more stores next year.

It seems the decline in value was due to poor earnings report.

https://www.thestreet.com/investing/...what--14894361Shares of Dick's Sporting Goods (DKS - Get Report) are getting creamed on Tuesday, closing lower by 11% to $34.60 after the company reported disappointing earnings results. More disappointing, though, is what's happening to the technical setup.

Just thought you would want to know the facts -- instead of the stuff you might be picking up elsewhere.

Old 03-13-2019, 10:37 AM

38,604 posts, read 26,223,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Yeah, call it bankrupt...
Yes, I plan to shop at Dick's one more time, when they hold their final clearance sale.

Old 03-13-2019, 10:38 AM

Oh and up 3 per cent today -- I wonder if it was because they decided to stop selling guns to improve their sales reports........

Old 03-13-2019, 10:44 AM

50,059 posts, read 46,593,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Oh and up 3 per cent today -- I wonder if it was because they decided to stop selling guns to improve their sales reports........
Did you miss the 5 year trend I posted? It will never recover.

Old 03-13-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Did you miss the 5 year trend I posted? It will never recover.
You are right -- I was being silly -- and using the kind of logic that others use.

Dicks has been in trouble for years now.

Old 03-13-2019, 11:52 AM

44,910 posts, read 59,905,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
More business for the local mom 'n pop gun stores and camp outfitters.

I bought a .22 rifle and 12 ga shotgun from Dick's several years ago.

Nowadays Dick's seems like more of an outdoor fashions store for soccer moms.
The locals here tend to be on the "overpriced and under inventoried with a dash of they don't make that any more (one time in reference to a Remington 870) end of the spectrum. They will, however, sell you a nice Norinco, " better than a Remington", for the price of a Browning.

Old 03-13-2019, 12:13 PM

3,617 posts, read 1,809,486 times
The problem isn't about bricks n mortar. The problem is their business model and their foolish political expressions which alienate their customers. If I am wrong about this opinion then someone should explain the booming success of Bass Pro Shops/Cabela's.

But then again, that's just MY opinion, for what it's worth.

Old 03-13-2019, 12:17 PM

5,884 posts, read 2,151,393 times
Might want to check all big box retail stocks or sporting goods retailer stocks.

Just might be a sign of the overall economy, sport equipment and clothing is a optional expenditure and one of the first to go. Sports Aurhority anyone?

Half the public does not vote and could care less about gun access at a sports store in a shopping mall. Too much self importance these days in politics, 100 factors other than politics are more likely than not buying a crap .22 so don’t throw yourself a parade yet.

Last edited by Daryl_G; 03-13-2019 at 12:26 PM..

Old 03-13-2019, 12:22 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,860,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
The problem isn't about bricks n mortar. The problem is their business model and their foolish political expressions which alienate their customers. If I am wrong about this opinion then someone should explain the booming success of Bass Pro Shops/Cabela's.

But then again, that's just MY opinion, for what it's worth.
I think you're half right.

To be a successful brick-and-mortar store in today's world, you have to offer something special or different than just the products themselves.

Bass Pro Shops and Cabella's offer something special. Their stores are enormous and pretty awesome inside (complete with waterfalls and climbing walls).

Similarly, REI (and places like Sports Basement in the Bay Area) are also like Bass Pro Shops - they offer something special. Things like outdoors/hiking/biking/backpacking classes, rock climbing walls, places to test the equipment out on-site, knowledgeable staff, and great incentive programs (great return policies, good frequent-buyer programs, etc.).

Dick's doesn't really offer anything special - they're just a place to buy product, and when faced with a choice a person in today's world will probably just go and buy that thing online (likely for less money). I think the political angle makes for a good story in the national news - but at the end of the day, I really think it was a statistical blip on their business - the reality is that the store just isn't anything special.

In today's world, you have to be more than just a place to buy stuff. Otherwise, you're likely destined for failure in the long term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies