Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 01:11 PM

3,617 posts, read 1,820,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
To live in a free society everyone must be awarded equal rights and opportunities. Everyone must be free to drink from the same water fountains, sit at the same lunch counters and free to patronize the same establishments.

You are wrong. Wearing a specific article of clothing is a behavior. Wearing a gun on your side, even though there is a 2nd amendment protecting individuals from having the government infringe upon that right, is a behavior and businesses all across the country can prohibit people from carrying guns in or on their property. It's THEIR property therefore THEY get to decide what they will and will not accept.

But then again, that's just MY opinion, for what it's worth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2019, 01:14 PM

3,617 posts, read 1,820,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
your rights end at the doorway of my home or my business as do mine at yours.

100% correct. Nothing else need be said.

Old 03-14-2019, 01:25 PM

193 posts, read 69,039 times
We could just all walk around naked so we don't wear anything that could offend someone else or we could just act like adults and realize that although you may not like what someone else is wearing or saying you don't have the right to assault them or act like a freaking child and throw a tantrum, maybe we could all try acting like civilized human beings...or is that to much to ask?? I see a car in the parking lot at work with a sticker that reads "A woman's place is in the resistance" which I find both tasteless and offensive but I don't feel the need to smash a rock through the windshield, that would make me look like a bigger idiot then the person who chooses to drive around with such an idiotic sticker.

Last edited by sixlets82; 03-14-2019 at 01:34 PM..

Old 03-14-2019, 01:41 PM

78,337 posts, read 60,527,398 times
The bottom line is that in a number of relatively minor instances have been escalated to national news because it makes for ratings even though the number and severity are tiny relative to the size of the country. (this goes both ways, the media is no more responsible or morale than any corporation or shark for that matter.

That being said, it's a bad look and everyone that isn't rabidly partisan knows it.

So, you of course you have the right trumpeting the violence and intolerance to try to milk it.

....and you have the far far left trying a variation of the "she was asking for it by how she was dressed" defense.

(and we all know that if this were rightwingers slashing the tires on Hillary bumpersticker vehicles it would just be the same thing in reverse)

Old 03-14-2019, 01:47 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,111,029 times
Differentiate between Actions vs something someone has no control of like akin color

Old 03-14-2019, 01:52 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,426,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post

You do NOT have a right to express yourself on MY property. The only way you can express yourself on my property is IF I allow it because it is MY property. PERIOD.
Unless you bake cakes or make pizza on your property.

Old 03-14-2019, 01:52 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,104,274 times
I think people should get over themselves. Seriously. Eat your food and MYOB.

Old 03-14-2019, 02:00 PM

4,559 posts, read 1,435,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I have no problem with someone voicing their opinion about someone's hat or a business asking someone to leave.

What I have a problem with is someone being physically assaulted, pushed around or have their rights infringed upon somewhere they have every right to be.

Do you have a problem with that? If you don't then you are a hypocrite.
Short of the wearers intentionally inciting a riot....leave others alone to express them selves.

Old 03-14-2019, 02:25 PM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
To refuse service to someone over a political belief is NOT illegal. To physically attack someone IS illegal. We shouldn't confuse the two by equating them as equally harmful. One deals with a property owner exercising their property rights. The other encroaches upon the right of a person to not be assaulted.

If I own a piece of property, I don't even need to express why I am demanding a person leave my property. It is my property, therefore it is my right. However if I lay a hand on someone, use force, for anything other than defense of self, defense of others or defense of property, I'm going to have some serious explaining to do when I'm standing in front of a judge.

You do NOT have a right to express yourself on MY property. The only way you can express yourself on my property is IF I allow it because it is MY property. PERIOD.

There are a lot of people who confuse rights which are protected from government infringing upon with being some kind of an absolute set of rights where no one can intrude upon them. Even in the case of harm, one does NOT have an absolute right to not be harmed. If they themselves are harming someone, their right to not be harmed goes away.

It shouldn't be a difficult thing to explain BUT it appears some people just don't get it.

Yes we get it. No one said anything about rights. Legal or not the point was its not acceptable behavior. No one should be afraid to patronize a business due to their political beliefs, religion, culture, language, etc.

Old 03-14-2019, 02:26 PM

1,991 posts, read 899,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
your rights end at the doorway of my home or my business as do mine at yours.
That's big negative as far as your business is concerned. The National Civil Rights Act of 1964 make illegal to discriminate based on race, color, sex, religion, or natural origin. As a business, you cannot say you will, or won't, accommodate a person based on the previously mentioned conditions. So your rights are not absolute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies