Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 02:11 PM

34,258 posts, read 19,215,751 times

Advertisements

https://www.apnews.com/7f967313552c4f7fb56c9c1a1cfbb97a

Looks like the state of NY thought his newest sentence was too light, and that he might be pardoned.

More importantly.....if you are going to do time the Federal jails are MUCH nicer. You do not want to be in a state prison. And this should be a wakeup call for those thinking Trump will just pardon them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2019, 02:13 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,218,348 times
why would Trump pardon Manafort? all his crimes happened way before he joined the Trump campaign in which he only lasted 5 months.

Manafort can do 7 years...with good behavior, he will get out earlier.

Old 03-13-2019, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
why would Trump pardon Manafort? all his crimes happened way before he joined the Trump campaign in which he only lasted 5 months.

Couple of reasons why Trump would. It lets everyone know that backing him will result in pardons. Its a good propaganda method for yelling no collusion witch hunt sort of nonsense. And Manafort and him are friends.

And Manafort wont get out much earlier. Federal guidelines mean that you serve 85% of your sentence. Good behavior is capped at 15% off. State is where that can make huge differences. But more importantly I suspect? Federal is easy time. State is usually not. Especially for low risk inmates.

If I was Manafort? I'd refuse a pardon. Getting pardoned right now might mean going to State prison, and by now he has probably had his lawyers explain just how bad that could be.

Old 03-13-2019, 05:01 PM
Status: "A solution in search of a problem" (set 8 days ago)

34,401 posts, read 16,502,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post

Looks like the state of NY thought his newest sentence was too light, and that he might be pardoned.

More importantly.....if you are going to do time the Federal jails are MUCH nicer. You do not want to be in a state prison. And this should be a wakeup call for those thinking Trump will just pardon them.
See Manafort State Charges - Doesn't New York Have Better Things to Do Than Play Fed Politics. Why is New York reaching out to find wrongdoing on the part of a Virginia or Florida (I forget which) resident? I worry about drug dealers, burglars and car thieves, the epitome of local crime. Their only interest could be Trump-hatred.

Old 03-13-2019, 05:07 PM

9,126 posts, read 5,756,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post

I don't think he will live that long.
He's been in solitary confinement for many months; he can no longer stand.
They broke him, now they'll kill him.

Old 03-13-2019, 05:09 PM

46,164 posts, read 26,822,776 times
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Another, look what manafort got thread......

Old 03-13-2019, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Another, look what manafort got thread......
Nope this is about the fact that state charges have appeared, not about what he got. It is in fact a different topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
See Manafort State Charges - Doesn't New York Have Better Things to Do Than Play Fed Politics. Why is New York reaching out to find wrongdoing on the part of a Virginia or Florida (I forget which) resident? I worry about drug dealers, burglars and car thieves, the epitome of local crime. Their only interest could be Trump-hatred.
Oh the horror that a crime is prosecuted. And its because Manafort committed those crimes in that state. Or are people free to go if they commit crimes only in states where they do not live? Except he also has a residence in NY.

Or is your argument that since he is involved in politics we should ignore his criminal activity? Please. And he stole MILLIONS in evaded taxes alone. But sure, a stolen car is SOOOOO much more important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
I don't think he will live that long.
He's been in solitary confinement for many months; he can no longer stand.
They broke him, now they'll kill him.
Actually his medical issues appear to not be related to his confinement. And interestingly enough the last judge pointed out that no medical evidence had been submitted to the court about it....something that would be done normally when looking for a lighter sentence. So im not buying that one. And his "solitary confinement" included a laptop, a phone, and a shower. So not quite as bad as that phrase normally would indicate. If he was in solitary confinement without those things I might take it more seriously. In fact, I would take it very seriously. But given that he has a computer and a phone....not so much.

And lets be honest, the federal prison he will go to is pretty nice. Not like what most folks get. Now the state prison may not be as nice.....

Old 03-13-2019, 08:19 PM

6,864 posts, read 11,999,380 times
There will be a 17th charge. They found a form where he didn't dot 5 i's and cross 4 t's.

Old 03-13-2019, 08:31 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,712,943 times
Quote:

Sounds like "official malfeasance" by the state of NY. This clearly isn't about the law, but about punishing & intimidating political opponents.

The truth is Manafort's crimes are so commonplace in DC, they the FBI had already looked into all of this & didn't think it was worth prosecuting. The only reason they decided to go after Manafort was because he was associated with Trump. Had he just continued with what he was doing & not volunteered to work on the campaign, he'd still be lobbying & hustling.

What should be very interesting is the unredacted version of the scope memo updated by Rosenstein after Mueller couldn't find any collusion. If the scope was expanded specifically to get Manafort, Rosenstein & Mueller both will face "official malfeasance" charges.

Old 03-13-2019, 08:33 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,218,348 times
Quote:
Couple of reasons why Trump would. It lets everyone know that backing him will result in pardons. Its a good propaganda method for yelling no collusion witch hunt sort of nonsense. And Manafort and him are friends.

And Manafort wont get out much earlier. Federal guidelines mean that you serve 85% of your sentence. Good behavior is capped at 15% off. State is where that can make huge differences. But more importantly I suspect? Federal is easy time. State is usually not. Especially for low risk inmates.

If I was Manafort? I'd refuse a pardon. Getting pardoned right now might mean going to State prison, and by now he has probably had his lawyers explain just how bad that could be.

Manafort has been in politics since the '70s. He served as a campaign advisor to Presidents Ford, Reagan, HW Bush, and Senator Dole. I'm sure he has lots of friends and connections in D.C.

His crimes have nothing with Trump or Russia or the 2016 elections. Trump hired him March/2016 for 5 months to secure the GOP nomination and the delegates in case there was a broken convention because he was a GOP insider, he was let go 4 months before the General Election.

Trump doesn't gain anything by pardoning him. Not in his first term and the 2020 elections next year........Manafort's crimes of tax fraud and bank fraud are serious and he has to do some time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies