Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2019, 01:27 PM

46,169 posts, read 26,834,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
Cars aren’t designed to kill people. Please.

Yet they do....thanks for proving my point....

Ohhhh and my many rifles and pistols have never killed anything but a few trees....oh, and clay targets...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2019, 01:30 PM

76,842 posts, read 47,156,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Would you be happier with banning sanctuary cities and deporting Illegal aliens if we agreed to call them "undocumented immigrants"?
Makes no difference to me. Feel free to call them anything you want, because it doesn't change anything. That's my whole point.

Old 03-14-2019, 01:37 PM

BREAKING: Court rules gun maker can be sued over Newtown shooting

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/co...pA1?li=BBnb7Kz

Old 03-14-2019, 01:47 PM

46,169 posts, read 26,834,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post

A little late....post 72 already broke it....

And its not for the manufacture of the rifle it's how they advertised the rifle for sale...again, good luck with that....I'm sure Remington had posters of schools and people killing school children....

Look out car manufactures, beer makers, and the rest of anyone who makes something and it kills someone.....

Old 03-14-2019, 01:49 PM

9,126 posts, read 5,757,767 times
Quote:

Since more people are killed with hammers than rifles,
when will someone sue Stanley?

Old 03-14-2019, 01:50 PM

20,221 posts, read 19,772,899 times
Quote:
Not scary to me, I used to own two of them. And a mini 14 and mini 30. And an AK 47.
I have a Mini 14. Never had an AR. Just not interested as the Mini is enough for me.

Old 03-14-2019, 01:57 PM

13,706 posts, read 5,456,096 times
Quote:
Here are the facts, the AR-15 was designed with the express purpose of being a military weapon. What can’t any of you guys just admit that? You love to hide behind “sporting rife” and othe colloquialisms.
Then you say, well it’s only a tool, and I don’t disagree. But a rake is a tool, how often do you use it to dig a hole? Why not just admit what that tool is designed to do?
The AR-15 was designed with the express purpose of being a smaller caliber version of the AR-10, and the AR-10 was designed for the express purpose of winning a government contract to replace the M1 Garand as the Army's main battle rifle. It lost that contest to the Springfield T44, which was redesignated as the M14.

Since Armalite lost the 7.62mm MBR contest to Springfield, they used the smaller caliber, .223 based AR-15 to try and win the government contract, which they did. The sales pitch had exactly nothing to do with lethality, killing bazillions of people at once, or any other anti-gun hysteric's fever dreams. Nope, it was sold on the "lighter and soldiers can carry more ammo since the ammo is so much smaller and lighter than 7.62x51" claim. It won the day and was redesignated as the M16.

All main battle rifles are (or should be) built to accomplish a variety of things:
  • Accurate, hopefully more and at longer ranges than your enemy.
  • Reliable, with minimal maintenance from the operator given their separation from maintenance facilities/materials.
  • Easy/fast to reload.
  • Capable of delivering disabling levels of ballistic energy at ranges expected for common infantry in the expected theater of combat.
  • Modifiable to adapt to different mission profiles, with stuff like Picatinny rail systems, interchangeable barrels, flash suppressors, muzzle brakes, etc.
  • Select fire, meaning at least semi-auto and some amount of burst automatic.
That is what main battle rifles in the military are designed for. A generic infantry weapon used by the majority of the infantry. Sniper, designated marksman, machine gunner, etc all have different weapons designed and built around those specific tasks.

The civilian version modern sporting rifle removes selective fire and changes the range criteria from "what common infantry would expect" to "what that rifle's owner expects to hunt/shoot at."

It is a tool. The specific use for that specific tool is shooting .223 or 5.56NATO rounds at ranges typically less than 200yd, and being able to do so multiple times between reload, typically at either paper targets (practicing marksmanship cheaply) or at animals of < 75 pounds body weight, and with a cheap, reliable, easily maintained platform. I don't have that need, therefore I don't own that tool.

Old 03-14-2019, 01:59 PM

38,967 posts, read 27,331,955 times
well, terminology matters because law can be created around that "word" or"terminology".

Matter of fact, both party leaders have created new terminology in order to dodge the law or create new laws associated with the new "terminology".

For example:

Torture vs Enhanced interrogation

illegal immigrants vs undocumented immigrants

American citizen vs enemy alien

above is the reason why terminology matters to me.

I fully understand why terminology matters little to many people. Like my great aunt for example, anything big is scary to her. LOL Assault rifle or not, she can care less. You are a woman who is less than 120lb, then you don't need a big gun. Period. lol

The federal Assault Weapons Ban (AWB) contained in the 1994 Crime Bill, defined an assault weapon based on stylistic or cosmetic features such as the presence of a bayonet lug, pistol grip, folding rifle stocks, threaded barrels for attaching silencers, and the ability to accept ammunition magazines holding large numbers of bullets. It was in fact, based on a picture book review. These guns were chosen because they look scary. They had no enhanced lethality.

A true assault rifle is the M4A1 Carbine. It is fully automatic – meaning it can fire multiple rounds each time the trigger is pulled. This is a U.S. military rifle that is capable of firing 950 rounds per minute. We can relate to it more easily as a “machine gun” and it has been banned from non-military purchase since 1986.

Even if terminology matters nothing to you, you need to understand why it should matter. Politicians and law makers first changed the terminology, then they could create a new law based on that new terminology.

Old 03-14-2019, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
Since more people are killed with hammers than rifles,
when will someone sue Stanley?
You could be the first

Old 03-14-2019, 02:04 PM

38,967 posts, read 27,331,955 times
Quote:

Anybody can sue anybody for any reasons. (well, almost)

Will they win is the question. If they do win, then I would need a good explanation of why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies