Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should assaults on people wearing MAGA hats be covered under enacted hate crime laws?
Yes 110 66.27%
No 54 32.53%
Undecided 2 1.20%
Voters: 166. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 11:15 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,388,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
That's a deranged comment. Its a patriotic hat.

Get help.
The MAGA hat is not patriotic. It is a symbol of being a Trump fan.

America was MORE great before Trump came on the scene. All he has done is sow division and hate. Many of his supporters, especially those wearing the MAGA hats, espouse the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2019, 11:51 AM

22,501 posts, read 12,045,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
You must be reading “revised history.” The Emancipation Proclamation was enacted by Abraham Lincoln in 1863. The last politician espousing White Supremacy was George Wallace.

Actually, deep down Donald Trump is a White Supremacist.
Per the bolded --- So now you're a mind reader?

You must be a mind reader because you have no proof to back up your bogus assertion.

Old 03-15-2019, 12:06 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,388,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Per the bolded --- So now you're a mind reader?

You must be a mind reader because you have no proof to back up your bogus assertion.
l

Trump is not hard to read. You can just follow his many crazy hand gestures!

(Or read the list of symptoms of a Narcissist’s personality. P.S. He has every symptom.)

Old 03-15-2019, 01:57 PM

1,131 posts, read 2,030,838 times
Assault is Assault and it's a crime. Not sure why we have to have a separate category of assaults for "hate crimes." Judges already have discretion in the sentencing phase to adjust the punishment of those who's motives are revealed to be bigoted.

Old 03-15-2019, 02:22 PM

10,250 posts, read 15,962,115 times
I'm a Trump supporter who wears my hat around but it's not a hate crime, just an act of political violence. A hate crime is against someone's unchangable characteristics like race, ethnicity, gender, etc (though Caitlin Jenner beleives gender can be changed.....)

Old 03-15-2019, 02:47 PM

3,617 posts, read 1,825,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
It is motivated by hatred after all.

I would say no, but only because I don't believe in the concept of "hate crime" laws to begin with. If we're going to have hate crime laws though, perhaps it should apply to people who are assaulted due to wearing a political logo as well, so I'll answer yes...as long as their are hate crime laws it ought to be covered.

NOTHING should be a "hate crime". The concept of a hate crime deals with some thoughts which are considered unacceptable and therefore illegal. If someone has that thought while committing an encroachment upon the rights or property of another, punish them for their encroachment, but NEVER, in a free country where we have natural rights including the right to own our own body, mind and thoughts, punish a person for what they think or believe. To do so is antithetical to LIBERTY.

But then again, that's just MY opinion, for what it's worth.

Last edited by KS_Referee; 03-15-2019 at 02:59 PM..

Old 03-15-2019, 03:29 PM

4,911 posts, read 3,435,520 times
Quote:

I would say no, but only because I don't believe in the concept of "hate crime" laws to begin with. If we're going to have hate crime laws though, perhaps it should apply to people who are assaulted due to wearing a political logo as well, so I'll answer yes...as long as their are hate crime laws it ought to be covered.
Why does it only protect those wearing MAGA hats? What about Yes We Can pins etc?

Old 03-15-2019, 04:02 PM

37,155 posts, read 42,278,198 times
You'll never convince me that "hate crimes" or "hate speech" are anything more than tools with which progressives try to bludgeon their critics with. There is just NO SUCH THING.

Old 03-15-2019, 04:08 PM

2,486 posts, read 827,386 times
That 1/3rd of people in here voted NO is isane. Stupid is as stupid does.

Old 03-15-2019, 05:00 PM

29,221 posts, read 22,421,319 times
Quote:

I disagree about the concept of hate crime's nonexistence, but I don't think wearing a MAGA hat constitutes a hate crime.

In fact, I believe no apparel anyone wears- a hajib, a Jewish skull cap or one of the Orthodox Jewish hats, a ball cap, a cowboy hat, or a fedora constitutes a hate crime. Neither does any other apparel item.

I believe everyone should be able wear anything they want unmolested and without being charged with a hate crime for wearing it.

The only limits I would impose are those for sanitary reasons and basic human decency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies