Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 09:40 AM

3,617 posts, read 1,821,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I would think we all agree, the Bad cops are getting the good cops killed.
Consequences of the Police State.

I agree with this one too, but much of it comes from the insane war on drugs, or I should say war on peoples' choice.

But then again, that's just MY opinion, for what it's worth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2019, 09:42 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,259,424 times
Crumbling infrastructure and melting ice.

Old 03-15-2019, 09:48 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,926,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
What do they have in common?

1. Rigid, doctrinaire thinking.

2. The remarkable ability to accept one set of facts as the Gospel, while rejecting another set of facts as nothing more than a bunch of lies.

3. Choosing ideology over objective thinking. Declaring oneself a liberal or a conservative is the equivalent of taking a math test and writing the number 5 in all the blanks. There will be times when you are dead on. There will be times when you will be close to correct. And there will be times when you are disastrously wrong.

4. A smug and overweening confirmation bias.
Number 3 is awesome. This is why people should strive to be a "practical centrist" . As soon as you declare fealty to some strict ideology, political platform or person - you have immediately restricted your usefulness. This frees you to cherry pick from what works and has lasting value, no matter the origin - and also frees you to reject that which is inefficient or incomprehensible or useless. In other words, don't let the emotions of rigid doctrinaire belief be the puppet-master of your decisions.

Old 03-15-2019, 09:52 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
If you have grandchildren, you love them. I certainly love mine. I can’t imagine anyone not loving their grands.

Of course I love my kids too! A lot.

Surely we all share these same feelings, whatever our political beliefs.

Old 03-15-2019, 09:59 AM

17,004 posts, read 12,589,940 times
The US government shall not ban the importation of the same drug from a foreign pharmacy in Canada, Japan, UK, Australia, Netherlands, Germany, Ireland, (The rest of Western Europe). IE no screwing over US consumers for the exact same drug.

Old 03-15-2019, 10:07 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,692,387 times
Present day. I really have no idea.

In the past I'd say love for the US. But now liberal seem to look at that has no love.

Old 03-15-2019, 10:16 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,794,120 times
This is a great thread. So often we lose sight of the fact that we are all more than a vote. We are going to go to a phonograph preview auction with a dear friend. He's a Trump supporter and listens non stop to Rush. We are never Trumpers, yet, we love and respect each other and get along just fine. He won't talk to me about politics. He's very low information and prefers to live in his right wing bubble. That's fine, I respect it. He will always be a treasured friend no matter who he votes for. I have this image of him forever burned in my memory. His wife almost died (the first one died in her 40's) and he was kneeling at her bed praying and crying. It didn't matter who he voted for. I just hugged him. It broke my heart to see him in so much pain. Presidents will come and go, but good friends are forever.

Old 03-15-2019, 10:26 AM

23,974 posts, read 15,078,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
What do they have in common?

1. Rigid, doctrinaire thinking.

2. The remarkable ability to accept one set of facts as the Gospel, while rejecting another set of facts as nothing more than a bunch of lies.

3. Choosing ideology over objective thinking. Declaring oneself a liberal or a conservative is the equivalent of taking a math test and writing the number 5 in all the blanks. There will be times when you are dead on. There will be times when you will be close to correct. And there will be times when you are disastrously wrong.

4. A smug and overweening confirmation bias.

Old 03-15-2019, 10:28 AM

23,974 posts, read 15,078,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I would think we all agree, the Bad cops are getting the good cops killed.
Consequences of the Police State.

Common ground

Old 03-15-2019, 10:30 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
Present day. I really have no idea.

In the past I'd say love for the US. But now liberal seem to look at that has no love.
quality education
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies