Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 06:32 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,705,767 times

Advertisements

This entire forum is filled with posts that might start off promising (in a few cases) but rapidly devolve into partisan name-calling. I'm wondering if we can have a thread that spans, I don't know, five pages, where we talk about what we agree on. This is for the rightest fringe of the right wingers, the most leftist lefties and everyone in between.

Rules:

1. Talk about something important to you that you think the "other side" would not argue with. If you find something that you don't agree with due to your political beliefs, simply quote it and say "no, I disagree," then move on with no further argument or explanation on that topic. If your post gets disagreed with, don't come back to explain to argue, just let it go.

2. If you don't agree with it due to your personal preferences (such as maybe someone says they love their flower garden and you actually hate flowers but it's not because you subscribe to a political theory that says flowers are harmful to society), then please just ignore it without comment.

3. Don't waste space saying that this can never be done because you have nothing in common with the "mentally ill liberals" or the "stupid conservatives." If you can't think of anything that's important to you that isn't partisan, then please don't play.

Can we do it? I suspect that we all have more in common than we think. Ready, set, go!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2019, 06:36 AM

I'll start:

My children are teenagers now and they spend lots of time with their friends, in their rooms, and otherwise not snuggling with me on the couch the way they did when they were little. My dog, however, thinks he's a child and wants his 70-lb body within 12 inches of mine at all times. He is my constant companion when I'm home. I never really understood when people treated their pets like children, but now I'm guilty of it. We buy him special treats and we don't break the dog's routine and we interview dogsitters the way we interviewed babysitters. My dog, with all of his annoying quirks, is one of the joys of my life.

Old 03-15-2019, 06:47 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,920,524 times
Most people regardless of ideology want the same thing; good schools, clean environment, high paying jobs, good health care etc. It's not what people have in common that is the problem, it's how you get from point A to point B where the argument starts.

Old 03-15-2019, 06:55 AM

2,394 posts, read 2,967,636 times
Food. We all love food. Tacos, lasagna, cheeseburgers, French fries, pizza, bacon, pie, and this Sunday both sides of the aisle and Americans of various religions and backgrounds will be eating corned beef for St. Patrick's Day.

Old 03-15-2019, 06:58 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,496,806 times
Food, respect for animals, and we all want what's best for our kids

Old 03-15-2019, 07:01 AM

6,253 posts, read 5,052,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
This entire forum is filled with posts that might start off promising (in a few cases) but rapidly devolve into partisan name-calling. I'm wondering if we can have a thread that spans, I don't know, five pages, where we talk about what we agree on. This is for the rightest fringe of the right wingers, the most leftist lefties and everyone in between.

Rules:

1. Talk about something important to you that you think the "other side" would not argue with. If you find something that you don't agree with due to your political beliefs, simply quote it and say "no, I disagree," then move on with no further argument or explanation on that topic. If your post gets disagreed with, don't come back to explain to argue, just let it go.

2. If you don't agree with it due to your personal preferences (such as maybe someone says they love their flower garden and you actually hate flowers but it's not because you subscribe to a political theory that says flowers are harmful to society), then please just ignore it without comment.

3. Don't waste space saying that this can never be done because you have nothing in common with the "mentally ill liberals" or the "stupid conservatives." If you can't think of anything that's important to you that isn't partisan, then please don't play.

Can we do it? I suspect that we all have more in common than we think. Ready, set, go!
We're coming up on one year of a small business I opened here in WY. I've worked my ass off this past year to build something from the ground up. The space is too small but we're making it work and the size has forced me to be creative. The space is located in a good place but not the ideal place (the rent for the ideal place is 6-10 times higher than what I pay now) so we're making THAT work as well. I look around at it all and feel proud that I moved this thing from the idea stage to make it a reality.

The business paid for itself the first month we opened. Revenues have been extremely decent. I need to get a better handle on inventory control (and how much I spend on it) but have otherwise kept a good grip on expenses. I was warned that winter was tough on small business here and I felt pretty cocky all the way to Christmas because we were still doing pretty well. And then 2019 arrived. January was quiet. February was quieter. There are signs that things are starting to break loose again but March has been up and down (which I guess is a significant improvement over the previous two months). And I'm not cocky anymore.

If I think too much about how much I have actually taken as a salary over the past 12 months you might shake your head. I know I do. But I feel like I am building something. We'll see how this year pans out but I need to see continual improvement this year and will re-evaluate at the end of 19 whether or not to continue, or to shut it all down and get a real job.

Over the past year I've come in contact with a lot of people. This town is a microcosm of the rest of the country. Many rich. Many struggling month to month. Not a whole lot in the middle. I've met mostly good people and an occasional *******. Those with money are not all bad and the unwashed masses are not all good. Not surprisingly since I live in Wyoming, most are conservative as I am, so there's not a lot of disagreement on politics. A LOT are transplants from all over the country. All concerned about where we're headed.

Old 03-15-2019, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
We're coming up on one year of a small business I opened here in WY. I've worked my ass off this past year to build something from the ground up. The space is too small but we're making it work and the size has forced me to be creative. The space is located in a good place but not the ideal place (the rent for the ideal place is 6-10 times higher than what I pay now) so we're making THAT work as well. I look around at it all and feel proud that I moved this thing from the idea stage to make it a reality.

The business paid for itself the first month we opened. Revenues have been extremely decent. I need to get a better handle on inventory control (and how much I spend on it) but have otherwise kept a good grip on expenses. I was warned that winter was tough on small business here and I felt pretty cocky all the way to Christmas because we were still doing pretty well. And then 2019 arrived. January was quiet. February was quieter. There are signs that things are starting to break loose again but March has been up and down (which I guess is a significant improvement over the previous two months). And I'm not cocky anymore.

If I think too much about how much I have actually taken as a salary over the past 12 months you might shake your head. I know I do. But I feel like I am building something. We'll see how this year pans out but I need to see continual improvement this year and will re-evaluate at the end of 19 whether or not to continue, or to shut it all down and get a real job.

Over the past year I've come in contact with a lot of people. This town is a microcosm of the rest of the country. Many rich. Many struggling month to month. Not a whole lot in the middle. I've met mostly good people and an occasional *******. Not surprisingly since I live in Wyoming, most are conservative as I am, so there's not a lot of disagreement on politics. A LOT are transplants from all over the country. All concerned about where we're headed.
That's awesome that you are succeeding at building a business. I have been working on mine for the past decade; only in the past few years have I been able to really devote a lot of time to it. Now that my kids are older, I'm seeing the results I have been striving for all of these years. Not to say that it will take you that long! We are a homeschooling family and I knew going in that it would be a long process. It is so rewarding when those gears really start spinning with some momentum.

Old 03-15-2019, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Most people regardless of ideology want the same thing; good schools, clean environment, high paying jobs, good health care etc. It's not what people have in common that is the problem, it's how you get from point A to point B where the argument starts.
Absolutely. And I think that even the process of getting from A to B is workable save for a few (admittedly large) details, but we humans have the habit (and perhaps even an internal drive) of turning everything into a full-on war by demonizing the "other side" when it really is so unnecessary.

Old 03-15-2019, 07:14 AM

6,253 posts, read 5,052,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
That's awesome that you are succeeding at building a business. I have been working on mine for the past decade; only in the past few years have I been able to really devote a lot of time to it. Now that my kids are older, I'm seeing the results I have been striving for all of these years. Not to say that it will take you that long! We are a homeschooling family and I knew going in that it would be a long process. It is so rewarding when those gears really start spinning with some momentum.
Thanks ATOW. Recently invested in the chamber. Have made a couple of other marketing moves recently that I hope will translate into an extremely busy summer. Hanging tough until the weather warms up. I'm not the only one going through a quiet winter - this is a very small-business-friendly entrepreneur-driven town. It's tough on everyone.

BTW: I home schooled one of my boys for one year when he started going off the rails in a big way back in middle school. If they were still school age now, they wouldn't be in public schools. I would absolutely home school both of them.

Old 03-15-2019, 07:15 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,051,715 times
Most people of all political persuasions, all religions, all races, from all countries, etc have much more in common than not. Unfortunately those with profound differences are very vocal and some media (and politicians) seems to do their best to amplify these differences for ratings, votes etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies