Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 01:53 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,368,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
We cannot afford it.

Yes we need to keep an eye on automation taking almost all jobs but we are not there yet.
If we take 1,000 dollar from you, and then give it back.....can we afford that?

If we take 1,000,000 dollars from bill gates, and give him $1,000 back, can he afford it?

If we take nothing from the homeless guy, and give him $1,000 back can we afford it?

If we do that, and kill food stamps....can we afford it?

We can absolutely afford it. Its just not the right time for it yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2019, 01:59 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Rubbish. How did basic income turn into an anti-parent rant? Most kids today will add far, far, far more into the system than what their parents take out of it. That’s not even counting the economy based around children’s activities and merchandise.
My kid has 2 jobs and is taking college classes.....
Some have a determination and some don't.

In the old days, we called them skinny. Now they want to get their hands in my pockets.

Old 03-15-2019, 02:40 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
I'll play devil's advocate here...

Technically there aren't enough jobs for everyone looking for one.
do tell.

https://www.bls.gov/charts/job-openi...ob-opening.htm

Old 03-15-2019, 04:54 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,224,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
I am a hard right winger but Andrew Yang's $1000 a month basic income idea holds some appeal to me. What I like about it is that unlike every other handout program it does not descriminate against those without children. In our current system if you have kids you are not only protected from destitution you very likely can get a bonanza of cash and prizes from the U.S government. If you don't have kids (or have adult children) you pay into this system but if you ever need help you are on your own buddy...you can dive down into homeless and no one would care. This system is terrible and no one can guilt me into thinking otherwise. God bless you Andrew Yang.
I don't think your comment is accurate. Means testing is means testing.

Nobody is protected from destitution. Even if you have children you literally have to spend down all your assets to get aid, unless you're illegal of course. If you're an invader, states like CA roll out the red carpet.

Old 03-15-2019, 05:05 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,114,378 times
Think of UBI as a concrete foundation. Its a part of our money thats keeping all of us above ground.
Like we all own the floor, that money “doesnt exist”, its like our heartbeat, its keeping us alive or afloat. The rest of the money you earn yourself.

UBI DOES NOT MEAN LIVING LAVISH.

Just keeps you from complately starving.

Old 03-15-2019, 05:40 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,601,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Sure you are.

By the way, trying to neutralize your supposed viewpoints to appeal to the opposition doesn't make you intellectual or reasoned. It makes you disingenuous, gutless, and fickle. Stand behind what you believe or go hide in a corner.
He actually is, look at his posting history

Old 03-15-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Everything moves to equilibrium, the $1000 would eventually be as if it is $0 today... So your prices today reflects that you didn't get the $1000 and will increase as you get the $1000... Spending more to buy more makes the item in more demand and it's price goes up... Eventually everything goes up to basically wipe out the $1000 gain... Except the government had to borrow that money that they didn't need to to begin with....
That's a malthusian fallacy

Old 03-15-2019, 05:43 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,220,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
I am a hard right winger but Andrew Yang's $1000 a month basic income idea holds some appeal to me. What I like about it is that unlike every other handout program it does not descriminate against those without children. In our current system if you have kids you are not only protected from destitution you very likely can get a bonanza of cash and prizes from the U.S government. If you don't have kids (or have adult children) you pay into this system but if you ever need help you are on your own buddy...you can dive down into homeless and no one would care. This system is terrible and no one can guilt me into thinking otherwise. God bless you Andrew Yang.
No. No free money. Ever. Work or starve. Those people are not my fiscal responsibility.

Old 03-15-2019, 05:54 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,624,120 times
If $1000 is good, then why not give everyone $100,000/month?

Then everyone can live like millionaires.....

Where's the flaw in that logic?

Old 03-15-2019, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
If $1000 is good, then why not give everyone $100,000/month?

Then everyone can live like millionaires.....

Where's the flaw in that logic?
Oh good, the slippery slope fallacy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies