Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2019, 08:50 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,457,668 times

Advertisements

I can see this here in middle Tennessee and getting worse.

It's a collision of realities that adds up to worsening trouble for American jails: More inmates than ever have addictions or mental illnesses, while county sheriffs don't have the expertise or the resources to cope.

In America's Jails, a Crisis Is Worsening
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2019, 10:17 PM

22,619 posts, read 24,436,315 times
It is how the USA involuntarily-commits the huge amount of crazy/doped-out people in the USA, better build more "accommodations"!

Old 03-16-2019, 10:18 PM

45,064 posts, read 26,231,374 times
Decriminalize all drugs, abolish all non-violent crimes.

Old 03-16-2019, 10:21 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,477,081 times
Ive brought this up before in other threads, why do people automatically think to call 'police' when they see drug use, (like a guy passed out in his car)...they should be contacting CDC or city/county CDC extension offices, they are more equipped to deal with this and trained for it, police can only detain, and arrest, but they really are not trained to effectively deal with these problems, they just end up treating them like criminals.

Old 03-16-2019, 11:26 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,652,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Ive brought this up before in other threads, why do people automatically think to call 'police' when they see drug use, (like a guy passed out in his car)...they should be contacting CDC or city/county CDC extension offices, they are more equipped to deal with this and trained for it, police can only detain, and arrest, but they really are not trained to effectively deal with these problems, they just end up treating them like criminals.
That's a really good point.

I've known a few cops who put in the time and effort to learn quite a lot about various mental and emotional instabilities, but most cops think they already have enough on their plate. The thing is, the other agencies you speak of don't really have clinicians who would be available to drop everything and rush to a "scene". Most likely, a concerned bystander who called for help would be told to call the cops instead.

Old 03-16-2019, 11:38 PM

30,183 posts, read 23,588,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
I can see this here in middle Tennessee and getting worse.

It's a collision of realities that adds up to worsening trouble for American jails: More inmates than ever have addictions or mental illnesses, while county sheriffs don't have the expertise or the resources to cope.

In America's Jails, a Crisis Is Worsening
This is why we should never have gotten rid of institutions for the mentally ill. Instead of them getting the help that they need, they were let loose into the streets where they get hooked on drugs, making their mental state worse, end up homeless, defecate in the streets, and no one sees fit to do a thing about it besides give them more needles to shoot up more drugs.

They need rehabilitation if they can be rehabilitated, or they need to be in an institution where they can get the care that they require. It's disgusting that anyone thought it was a good idea to let them fend for themselves in this society.

This is from 1984:

https://www.nytimes.com/1984/10/30/s...nts-began.html

Quote:
HOW RELEASE OF MENTAL PATIENTS BEGAN

THE policy that led to the release of most of the nation's mentally ill patients from the hospital to the community is now widely regarded as a major failure.
Ya think? Here it is, 2019, and we still haven't fixed that issue. We still let them roam around, without care...for what?

Quote:
Dr. Robert H. Felix, who was then director of the National Institute of Mental Health and a major figure in the shift to community centers, says now on reflection: ''Many of those patients who left the state hospitals never should have done so. We psychiatrists saw too much of the old snake pit, saw too many people who shouldn't have been there and we overreacted. The result is not what we intended, and perhaps we didn't ask the questions that should have been asked when developing a new concept, but psychiatrists are human, too, and we tried our damnedest.''
The result is not what they intended. What's that saying? "The road to hell is paved with good intentions." Ok, so they realized their mistake...and yet, 35 years later, it's still going on!

Quote:
Dr. John A. Talbott, president of the American Psychiatric Association, said, ''The psychiatrists involved in the policy making at that time certainly oversold community treatment, and our credibility today is probably damaged because of it.'' He said the policies ''were based partly on wishful thinking, partly on the enormousness of the problem and the lack of a silver bullet to resolve it, then as now.''
How many times have we suffered because of some idiot's "wishful thinking"?

Bring back the institutions and stop with the feelings - it doesn't help anyone.

Old 03-17-2019, 06:15 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,601,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
This is why we should never have gotten rid of institutions for the mentally ill. Instead of them getting the help that they need, they were let loose into the streets where they get hooked on drugs, making their mental state worse, end up homeless, defecate in the streets, and no one sees fit to do a thing about it besides give them more needles to shoot up more drugs.

They need rehabilitation if they can be rehabilitated, or they need to be in an institution where they can get the care that they require. It's disgusting that anyone thought it was a good idea to let them fend for themselves in this society.

This is from 1984:

Bring back the institutions and stop with the feelings - it doesn't help anyone.
Reagonomics says to save money. Do the will of the taxpayers - you know, the people who know nothing about the situation!

Jail costs less per year than decent institutional care....out of sight, out of mind.

It's yet another one of those "selfish" issues like regular health care "I'm not crazy (or I have my health care), so I don't want to spend money for YOUR family member".

The only "cure" for this type of stuff is a moral and ethical populace who wants a civil and advanced society. I fear we have fewer folks like that and more who want tax cuts.

Old 03-17-2019, 06:18 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,159,565 times
You can't just lock them up and force medicine on them bc it violates their civil rights.

Old 03-17-2019, 06:26 AM

79,907 posts, read 43,965,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
That needs to change. I condemn the police all the time when they do wrong but I also note that much of the problem is a lack of training and how they are trained.

People from other agencies aren't going to come out at 2 in the morning.

Old 03-17-2019, 10:33 AM

30,183 posts, read 23,588,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Reagonomics says to save money. Do the will of the taxpayers - you know, the people who know nothing about the situation!

Jail costs less per year than decent institutional care....out of sight, out of mind.

It's yet another one of those "selfish" issues like regular health care "I'm not crazy (or I have my health care), so I don't want to spend money for YOUR family member".

The only "cure" for this type of stuff is a moral and ethical populace who wants a civil and advanced society. I fear we have fewer folks like that and more who want tax cuts.
They don't belong in jail, they belong in an institution. And you should actually read the article.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies