Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you Anti-Vaxxer or Pro-Vaxxer and why?
Anti-Vaxxer 20 12.42%
Pro-Vaxxer 141 87.58%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 09:06 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,875,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
I suspect the reason we haven't found the "root cause" of autism is because there are probably thousands of causes - in concert with one another - that have the aggregate effect of an increase in autism.

People like easy singular scapegoats, and vaccines are the newest scapegoat.
Not me.

I realize that there are likely many. I also realize that it is absolutely an epidemic that is being ignored.
For example in 1980 the rate of Autism spectrum disorders was: About 1 in every 2000 children.. Not Good.
2008 1in 150
2018 (according to the CDC: 1 in 59......
The cost of treatment is massive with fairly poor results.
We really spend very little on researching the causes and or treatments for autism considering the absolute problem we face.

Old 03-17-2019, 09:29 PM

2,974 posts, read 1,982,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
no they are educated in the field and are qualified. It's just that simple.

...you really think it's 'just that simple'?...how's about doing a little reading on your own, there's a ton of data out there...better yet, take half the time you spend on this goofy forum and do a little research...you may be surprised at what you find....

Old 03-17-2019, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
Wow, a Marine defaming the military. What a shame.
That isn't defaming.. Is it defaming to call out the Government for supplying weapons to ISIS? Oh wait yeah when it was Obama at the Helm.

Ok how about when the medical community gave black people with Syphilis placebos instead of actual treatment, just to study the long term effects?

How about dropping agent orange on our troops?
It isn't defaming to call out misdeeds. It's defaming to make crap up.

Old 03-17-2019, 11:20 PM

37,096 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
I am pro vaccines. That said I also feel that we don't put nearly enough resources into finding out what the real root cause of Autism spectrum disorders are caused by. Find out the real causes and drive out the myths.

You will always have the ignorant who refuse to learn or adapt. The rest of us however need to move on from them and not accept a pharmaceutical company's word. The CDC? Questionable.

There are many questions with answers that are lacking. Why do some have adverse reactions to immunizations or vaccines and others dont?m. Research is needed because the answer that "some people just react differently" isn't good enough.

I avoid flu shots. 3 out of the last 4 times my arm swelled up and I got sick. Why? My doctor said "well some people react differently". His answer which this last time got him fired.
It's not just the CDC. It is health experts from around the world. Much vaccine research is done without industry funding.

There is plenty of money being spent on the causes of autism, and the root cause appears to be genetic. The list of genes associated with autism is growing quickly. It is likely that combinations of genes result in the symptoms of the condition. The sad thing is that so much money that could have been used on autism research was wasted on showing vaccines do not cause it.

Obviously it would be wonderful if we could identify people who should not get vaccines. There will not be a way to do that any time in the near future, however, and what we are left with is that people who react badly to a vaccine may have the same bad reaction to the infection itself. Despite what the antivaccinationists want you to believe serious reactions to vaccines are extremely rare.

Your arm swelling and feeling ill might just be a warning that you would have a really bad time with the flu itself. There are people who have posted in other threads about being so sick with flu they had to crawl to the bathroom. One CD poster had a friend who died from flu, home alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
Yes, lets make us all subjects to an authoritarian regime...that sounds fun!
Don't want to vaccinate? Don't. No one will make you. You can just hide in the herd immunity produced by those of us who do vaccinate. Don't expect to send your kids to school, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
I suspect the reason we haven't found the "root cause" of autism is because there are probably thousands of causes - in concert with one another - that have the aggregate effect of an increase in autism.

People like easy singular scapegoats, and vaccines are the newest scapegoat.
There is more and more evidence that those causes are genetic. The scapegoating is absolutely true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
Poorly designed poll. I am for accurate non biased science, - NOT CORPORATE bought and paid for scientific findings to increase revenue $treams.

Do you believe when Pharma Corporations fund research that the research is accurate and that if negative findings result that they will be published if they do not support the companies funding them?

Do you believe the government agency responsible for validating the efficacy of the immunization safety schedule has violated its OWN promise 31 times, cares about the individual safety of those being given the drugs?

In 2007 the government's own witness Dr Andrew Zimmerman told the governments attorney at least 30 percent of autism was due to vaccines.

https://thehill.com/opinion/healthca...link-to-autism

In 1986 The National Childhood Vaccine Injury Act was passed which gave pharmaceutical companies complete immunity for damages caused by their products.

STOP and think about this and what it means systemically.

People need to educate themselves on the topic as the Pharma companies in their massive public relations marketing campaigns have tried to kill dialogue on the efficacy of their products. Note, observe how much of the ads on regular mass media programming is aimed to sell you something to fix some ill. Then ask yourself based on the above facts whether they really care about people or their product revenue streams more?
Please provide a source for those 31 "promises" that were broken.

Vaccine research is done around the world and plenty is done without industry funding. All of it supports the safety and efficacy of vaccines.

About Zimmerman.

https://vaxopedia.org/tag/andrew-zimmerman/

Sharyl Attkisson is strongly anti-vax, and she has no medical credentials at all.

Vaccine makers do not have "complete immunity for damages caused by their products". If the vaccine is defective they can be sued. The one in a million persons who have one of the rare serious adverse reactions to a vaccine can get compensation though the fund set up by the Vaccine Act. Someone who disagrees about a decision on their case in the vaccine court can appeal it.

https://www.hrsa.gov/vaccine-compensation/index.html

"The special master's decision may be appealed and petitioners who reject the decision of the court (or withdraw their petitions within certain timelines) may file a claim in civil court against the vaccine company and/or the health care provider who administered the vaccine."

The people who make, sell, and administer vaccines use them, too. You might want to ask yourself if they would do that if the products were dangerous.

Quote:
Not me.

I realize that there are likely many. I also realize that it is absolutely an epidemic that is being ignored.
For example in 1980 the rate of Autism spectrum disorders was: About 1 in every 2000 children.. Not Good.
2008 1in 150
2018 (according to the CDC: 1 in 59......
The cost of treatment is massive with fairly poor results.
We really spend very little on researching the causes and or treatments for autism considering the absolute problem we face.
Vaccines do not cause autism.

How much is spent on autism research around the world? If you do not have that figure, you really cannot say it is "very little", can you?

Quote:
That isn't defaming.. Is it defaming to call out the Government for supplying weapons to ISIS? Oh wait yeah when it was Obama at the Helm.

Ok how about when the medical community gave black people with Syphilis placebos instead of actual treatment, just to study the long term effects?

How about dropping agent orange on our troops?
It isn't defaming to call out misdeeds. It's defaming to make crap up.
None of which has anything to do with vaccines.

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 03-17-2019 at 11:30 PM..

Old 03-18-2019, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
It's not just the CDC. It is health experts from around the world. Much vaccine research is done without industry funding.

There is plenty of money being spent on the causes of autism, and the root cause appears to be genetic. The list of genes associated with autism is growing quickly. It is likely that combinations of genes result in the symptoms of the condition. The sad thing is that so much money that could have been used on autism research was wasted on showing vaccines do not cause it.

Obviously it would be wonderful if we could identify people who should not get vaccines. There will not be a way to do that any time in the near future, however, and what we are left with is that people who react badly to a vaccine may have the same bad reaction to the infection itself. Despite what the antivaccinationists want you to believe serious reactions to vaccines are extremely rare.

Your arm swelling and feeling ill might just be a warning that you would have a really bad time with the flu itself. There are people who have posted in other threads about being so sick with flu they had to crawl to the bathroom. One CD poster had a friend who died from flu, home alone.

Don't want to vaccinate? Don't. No one will make you. You can just hide in the herd immunity produced by those of us who do vaccinate. Don't expect to send your kids to school, though.

There is more and more evidence that those causes are genetic. The scapegoating is absolutely true.

Please provide a source for those 31 "promises" that were broken.

Vaccine research is done around the world and plenty is done without industry funding. All of it supports the safety and efficacy of vaccines.

About Zimmerman.

https://vaxopedia.org/tag/andrew-zimmerman/

Sharyl Attkisson is strongly anti-vax, and she has no medical credentials at all.

Vaccine makers do not have "complete immunity for damages caused by their products". If the vaccine is defective they can be sued. The one in a million persons who have one of the rare serious adverse reactions to a vaccine can get compensation though the fund set up by the Vaccine Act. Someone who disagrees about a decision on their case in the vaccine court can appeal it.

https://www.hrsa.gov/vaccine-compensation/index.html

"The special master's decision may be appealed and petitioners who reject the decision of the court (or withdraw their petitions within certain timelines) may file a claim in civil court against the vaccine company and/or the health care provider who administered the vaccine."

The people who make, sell, and administer vaccines use them, too. You might want to ask yourself if they would do that if the products were dangerous.

Vaccines do not cause autism.

How much is spent on autism research around the world? If you do not have that figure, you really cannot say it is "very little", can you?

None of which has anything to do with vaccines.
Care to show me where I in any way insinuated that vaccines were the cause? My point is that many anti-vaccine people do believe that. The best way to destroy the myth is to actually invest in finding the cause. Unfortunately like many diseases it is simply to lucrative to come up with ineffective treatments.
Genetics absolutely play a role, but that doesn't explain the massive increase. Some may explain it away as over diagnosed. Not unlike the ADHD rage. That still doesn't explain the massive increase over 40 years of actual cases.
So once again what in my posts insinuated that I blame vaccines for autism or that I am anti-vaccine? Especially after I said that I was pro-vaccine.
People don't trust pharmaceutical corporations for good reason, they aren't trust worthy. You sighted that people who make, sell and administer vaccines use them too. So did tobacco executives even though they knew the dangers. They rolled the dice and hoped they would be ok. So that really isn't a good point.

https://www.disabilityscoop.com/2017...eclines/23630/

Do I know the exact amount world wide? No.. I do know that it is an underfunded endeavor considering how serious it is.

Old 03-18-2019, 12:52 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,905,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Pro. Vaccines are the single most life saving discovery in medicine of all time.
Can't be understated.

Old 03-18-2019, 12:52 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,140,525 times
Pro vaxxer. Both son and Daughter in law are doctors in infectious disease and immunology respectively. Both have said they read as many of the scientific journals as possible in regards to the actual diseases and of course the clinical trials. I was vaccinated, both of them were, and their daughter is. Honestly, you don't want to vaccinate, as I a parent don't have a right to say yes or no, but I'd ask them to think of a couple of points. What will you do when your child comes in contact with say measles? Will you panic then and will you allow your child access to perhaps a child who really cannot be vaccinated for say medical reasons. Measles can kill, so weigh the risk carefully.

Old 03-18-2019, 12:54 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,905,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Saying you're provaxx is like saying you're pro-seafood.

Do you know everything about all seafood?
Would you blindly eat every type of seafood because someone told they were all good and exactly the same?

Or would you do your own homework and make individual decisions on a case by case basis?
Would homework including reading scientific journals?

Old 03-18-2019, 12:58 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,140,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Would homework including reading scientific journals?
Wow, if you can understand them you are smart! I've tried to read son's publications and I might as well be looking at a foreign language.

Old 03-18-2019, 01:11 AM

37,096 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Care to show me where I in any way insinuated that vaccines were the cause? My point is that many anti-vaccine people do believe that. The best way to destroy the myth is to actually invest in finding the cause. Unfortunately like many diseases it is simply to lucrative to come up with ineffective treatments.
Genetics absolutely play a role, but that doesn't explain the massive increase. Some may explain it away as over diagnosed. Not unlike the ADHD rage. That still doesn't explain the massive increase over 40 years of actual cases.
So once again what in my posts insinuated that I blame vaccines for autism or that I am anti-vaccine? Especially after I said that I was pro-vaccine.
People don't trust pharmaceutical corporations for good reason, they aren't trust worthy. You sighted that people who make, sell and administer vaccines use them too. So did tobacco executives even though they knew the dangers. They rolled the dice and hoped they would be ok. So that really isn't a good point.

https://www.disabilityscoop.com/2017...eclines/23630/

Do I know the exact amount world wide? No.. I do know that it is an underfunded endeavor considering how serious it is.
You say you are pro vaccine then bring up autism. Why even mention autism in a thread about vaccines if you are not implying a connection between vaccines and autism?

You absolutely cannot infer that autism research is underfunded if you do not have any idea how much is spent on it.

The increase in the diagnosis of autism can indeed be explained by changes in the way it is diagnosed. Forty years ago it was called mental retardation, and many children with what we call severe autism now just never were seen in public. They were institutionalized or just kept at home. There was really no effort to count them, since there was really nothing that could be done for them. DH's childhood BFF of seventy years ago clearly has high functioning autism (previously known as Asperger's, a diagnosis which officially no longer exists, so the prevalence for it is zero).

Now there is help, but you have to have the diagnosis to get it.

The tobacco execs dug a hole they could not get out of. They hid the evidence of the dangers of tobacco. Vaccines are closely monitored after they are released, by people who have no financial interest in the outcome of the surveillance. That is how the complication of intussusception from the original rotavirus vaccine was discovered, resulting in an improved vaccine and heightened vigilance on the part of pediatricians for the complication came about.

Blanket distrust of pharmaceutical companies does a disservice to the many researchers who have brought us drugs that do everything from controlling hypertension to curing cancer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies