Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 01:27 AM

55 posts, read 353,546 times

Advertisements

Ok, I read this long thread from December. Did he sue?

And now to end my day I have to go Google Jesus Fish as I haven't a clue what that sticker is.

Everyone have a safe weekend.

Linda

Old 06-16-2007, 02:27 AM

1,502 posts, read 4,082,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logic316 View Post
Daily dangers, my ass. I'm sorry, but I'm just sick of seeing this kind of garbage. Statistically, police officers are NOWHERE near being in one of the most dangerous professions. Even a housepainter or a fisherman is far more likely to get killed on the job than a cop, and yet you never hear about them on the news. Here's the proof to debunk the myth about how oh-so dangerous a cop's job is:

Dying To Work: America's Most Dangerous Jobs - Forbes.com
You have got to be kidding. Do you call a fisherman or house painter when a bank is being robbed, or a murder? No. You call the police. This is the only profession that requires you to wear body armor and carry a gun for your own protection, from other human beings. Police are in the most dangerous job.

This is the only job where people are sent in to danger while everyone else is fleeing.

Old 06-16-2007, 07:21 AM

217 posts, read 799,941 times
Honoring Officers Killed in the Year 2007 (http://www.odmp.org/year.php - broken link)

Go here and tell me that law enforcement is not dangerous.

Nobody seems to want a cop around until you are the one needing help. Not only to "cops" have to worry about some drunk with a gun when they pull over a car but they have to worry about the idiot that has fallen asleep at the wheel and runs off the road killing the officer that is just trying to do his job.

It is there job to enforce the law...they don't make the law. Are there bad apples...yes...of course that is true in all walks of life...oh and the blue wall of silence is BS. We could also claim the "red" wall of silence about the catholic church. As I said...there are bad apples everywhere....you do the best to weed them out with Psyc. testing but some get thru...and sometimes you are surrounded by the worst of humanity and the bad guys get to go free faster than you can arrest them, for so long that you start to loose that part of your self. This can happen in the military...you start to assume that everyone is bad.

I salute all past and present law enforcement officers....Thank you for your sacrifice and keep up the good work.

Old 06-16-2007, 07:24 AM

217 posts, read 799,941 times
KTVZ.com Central Oregons News, Weather and Sports Leader - Deschutes sheriff's K-9 eats car-seat foam, dies

Koda you will be missed! A salute to all K-9's in the field and retired.

Old 06-16-2007, 07:24 AM

1,495 posts, read 3,719,746 times
Logic316...your post was insulting...

Old 06-16-2007, 07:36 PM

10 posts, read 20,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
You have got to be kidding. Do you call a fisherman or house painter when a bank is being robbed, or a murder? No. You call the police. This is the only profession that requires you to wear body armor and carry a gun for your own protection, from other human beings. Police are in the most dangerous job.

This is the only job where people are sent in to danger while everyone else is fleeing.
What, you think people in jobs who face REAL danger on a daily basis (such as coal miners, commercial fisherman, farmers, roofers, garbagemen, iron workers, lumberjacks, etc.) don't have to carry tools and equipment to protect THEIR personal safety? Just because a guy wears a bulletproof vest and a gun, doesn't mean his job is any more dangerous than that of a guy who has to wear a safety harness and a hardhat to keep from getting hurt or killed on the job. And just because a trash collector has to avoid fast-moving cars in the street rather tackling criminals, doesn't make him any less of a hero. Without those people, we wouldn't have homes to live in or food to eat, and our cities would be swimming in garbage, yet I don't see THEM getting any recognition in the news, do you? Obviously, you didn't even bother checking out the link I posted. So please dump your emotionalistic hero-worshipping mentality for a moment and take a look with your own peepers:

Dying To Work: America's Most Dangerous Jobs - Forbes.com

and here's another one:

Many hazardous jobs are well-paid - Oct. 13, 2003

read it and weep:

America's 10 Most Dangerous Jobs

Police are NOT in the most dangerous profession. They never even made the top ten list!

Old 06-16-2007, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALUKI_LOVER View Post
Logic316...your post was insulting...
I didn't personally insult anybody here, Saluki. But I don't have any regard for people's false beliefs, no matter how deeply or personally they hold them. I'm not going to sacrifice the truth just for the sake of maintaining warm fuzzy feelings. If I see somebody coming into a forum and worshipping a sacred cow (and expecting that everybody else should do the same), you can damn well bet I'm going to whip out my barbecue and make some tasty hamburger.

What it comes down to is that this place is not a chat room, but a forum where people are allowed to present controversial and important political topics and may often seriously disagree with each other. If one doesn't like hardball or doesn't understand the rules of the game, then perhaps it's best for one to get off the playing field.

Old 06-16-2007, 08:17 PM

123 posts, read 485,852 times
To me even if police officers don't hold the title of "most dangerous job" - let's say we give you that - it's still about the point that their job is to protect us. If we are in trouble, they show up to help. As someone else said, we don't call a fisherman if we are in danger, we dial 9-1-1 and expect police to show up and help! For that alone, we should be thankful, even if it's not in the top ten "most dangerous" jobs....don't ya think?

Maybe you have never personally needed the services of a police officer - hope for your sake you never will.

Old 06-16-2007, 08:20 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,054,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logic316 View Post
What it comes down to is that this place is not a chat room, but a forum where people are allowed to present controversial and important political topics and may often seriously disagree with each other.
Just so you know, there is an entire section of the city-data forums called "Politics and other Controversies". That might be a more appropriate place to continue this discussion.
//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...controversies/

Old 06-16-2007, 09:11 PM

>> Go here and tell me that law enforcement is not dangerous.

There are dangers in every occupation, Chimp. A common housepainter could be climbing high up on a ladder, and an attacking swarm from an accidentally disturbed hornet's next could knock him off it causing him to be killed or paralyzed for life. It happens every day, and it happens FAR more often than a cop getting hurt or killed in the street. I'm just sick of people making it sound as if cops have one of the most dangerous jobs. It isn't even close, pal.

>> Nobody seems to want a cop around until you are the one needing help.

Well, nobody wants a garbageman around unless you have garbage to collect. Actually, the presence of a dirty smelly sweaty garbageman when he isn't needed is even more welcome, because a cop's personality only seems to operate in two distinct modes: a (sometimes) nice cheerful "help" mode, and a (usually) hostile angry "bust" mode, and for them there just doesn't seem to be anything in between the two. People like being helped but don't like being busted. This is normal everywhere and should come as no surprise. But all I want is that all cops be held accountable for their actions, just like everybody else. Nothing more, and nothing less. Unfortunately, in too many jurisdictions they're not properly supervised and there is little or no official system in place (i.e. independent review boards) for citizens to redress any complaints against a bad cop. And the courts usually give cops the benefit of the doubt unless you have a veritable mountain of evidence against them. And in some places, videotaping the police is actually illegal so getting any evidence of misconduct can be virtually impossible.

Some videos for your enjoyment:

Police Complaint Center : Policeabuse.org

>> Not only to "cops" have to worry about some drunk with a gun when they pull over a car but they have to worry about the idiot that has fallen asleep at the wheel and runs off the road killing the officer that is just trying to do his job.

Are you referring to that curiously hostile and paranoid seige mentality of many cops who automatically treat everybody they pull over as if they're potential serial killers, drug dealers, cop killers, etc. just to "be on the safe side"?

>> It is there job to enforce the law...they don't make the law. Are there bad apples...yes...of course that is true in all walks of life.

Except that a bad apple cop has a gun and a tazer, and the support of the legal system behind him.

>> ..oh and the blue wall of silence is BS.

Depends on which jurisdiction you're in. Some police departments have better systems of accountability in place and better relations with their communities (not to mention, less dirty internal politics) than others.

>> We could also claim the "red" wall of silence about the catholic church.

Sure, except nobody has to be a Catholic and the Catholic Church's officials aren't backed by our tax-funded public government.

>> As I said...there are bad apples everywhere....you do the best to weed them out with Psyc. testing but some get thru...and sometimes you are surrounded by the worst of humanity and the bad guys get to go free faster than you can arrest them, for so long that you start to loose that part of your self. This can happen in the military...you start to assume that everyone is bad.

A cop shouldn't even be concerned about who goes free and who doesn't, convicting criminals is the job of a duly appointed judge and jury. This country was based on the presumpton of an accused person's innocence, so the fact that a lot of bad guys may end up with a slap on the wrist shouldn't depress anybody.
"It is better one hundred guilty persons should escape than that one innocent person should suffer." - Benjamin Franklin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies