Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 01:28 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,110,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
well, you could bring a phone charger to work and plug it in while your working instead of using it....
(just a thought)

we were just discussing this, a few hours ago...lol

we all had jobs when we were 13 years old, my brother had a paper route....our parents didn't have the money to put us thru college....we worked for what we wanted...and I'm glad we did.
Its almsot like you grew up in a different time..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2019, 02:28 PM

45,319 posts, read 60,489,441 times
Here's one of the problems, like anything, the oddball gets the publicity. There are millions of Millenials who are working, paying their bills, buying houses, just generally getting on with their lives.

As such, being "normal" (if you will) they're not going to make the human interest stories. What does make it into those stories are things like stress caused from forgetting a phone charger.

Old 03-19-2019, 02:43 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,406,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Here are the top 20 stressful scenarios reported by millennials:
https://www.studyfinds.org/survey-mi...n-ever-before/

1. Losing wallet/credit card
2. Arguing with partner
3. Commute/traffic delays
4. Losing phone
5. Arriving late to work
6. Slow WiFi
7. Phone battery dying
8. Forgetting passwords
9. Credit card fraud
10. Forgetting phone charger
11. Losing/misplacing keys
12. Paying bills
13. Job interviews
14. Phone screen breaking
15. Credit card bills
16. Check engine light coming on
17. School loan payments
18. Job security
19. Choosing what to wear
20. Washing dishes

Oh, the humanity!
Pretty sure these two matter most
12. Paying bills
18. Job security

Old 03-19-2019, 03:12 PM

19,603 posts, read 12,203,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
I blame the parents more than the millennials themselves. My cousin is a parent of 3 millennial girls and he allows them to be so up his butt all the time and he just jumps when they need/want something. They all wanted to move to the next state over to be on their own, they all have BF's too but when something goes wrong with one of their vehicles they call him and he rushes over to them even driving 6 hours to go fix their cars. He threw lavish weddings for them when they got married and gave them boat loads of cash as gifts. He even stresses himself out trying to build savings accounts for all of them while they **** their money away. He gives them down payments for houses and everything meanwhile they all have decent jobs. He's not rich either by any means. I have no idea why he is like that, he wasn't brought up like that and was taught to be responsible and take care of himself. I see that same type of parenting a lot. Parents of millennials have ruined many of them from the beginning. Never gave them a chance to succeed by doing all that stuff for them. Drive by any high school parking lot now, you'll see brand new cars, many BMW's and Lexus' too. That NEVER happened when I was going to school.
I think the parents like how it reflects on them -"See, I can buy my kid a beemer, I'm successful and my kid is higher tier than your riff raff kid because he has all this high end stuff. And see what an amazing parent I am driving six hours to help my kid change a lightbulb. My mean parents would never have done this for me, I was so deprived, wahhh."

When I'm around parents who brag and whine like that my eyes glaze over. I really want to tell them what I think but I just nod.

Old 03-19-2019, 04:04 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,874,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post

Should we really be blaming Millennials for how they turned out though? Parents are always saying that they want a better life for their kids and then complain when they turn out the way they did & not have some of the horrific problems & challenges we had growing up!
You nailed it. Each generation weakens the next by providing an easier life for them. I am no exception and I think it is normal. As a parent you love your children more than life. Their pain is your agony. I can say with all honesty that the very first second I saw my daughters after they were born, I was crazy, insane, in love with my babies. I still am. Guess what? They love their dad too.

I was strict, they had chores, they didn't get a free allowance. They didn't get their first cell phones until they were leaving for college. They started Karate at age 5 and I made them stick with it until they were 17 then it became their choice. The chose to stay with it. My daughters are not the girls who need safe spaces, freak out because a politician they don't agree with won. They never bum money off of their parents or anyone else.

Now their brother is a hard case. LOL. He may be adopted but there has never been a son more like his dad than he is. Hated school, hated in a classroom. He needed to be outside. He went to welding school and is doing great, but growing up he loved to break the rules. Thank god for his mom or I might have choked him. He admits now that he did it just to get me POed.

If millennials are weak or petty, their parents did it to them.
Edit:
The one thing I have seen is parents trying to be the BFF instead of the parent. Children need that parental guidance, they need to face discipline and failures. It prepares them for life. It's our job to get them ready to survive without us.

Last edited by boneyard1962; 03-19-2019 at 04:59 PM..

Old 03-19-2019, 05:34 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,743,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post

Did you know that 30 years ago, a family of four could survive on one income? Won't cut it today.
We can thank Clinton for supporting NAFTA that caused a ton of or jobs to be shipped overseas and allowing illegal immigrants to take our jobs for low pay.

Old 03-19-2019, 06:07 PM

30,246 posts, read 23,716,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
Uh, it was a joke.
No it wasn't. You were incensed for a few posts before you trotted that out. I didn't even read it, I just thought it was ridiculous that you were acting all put out. It's a stupid "Top 20" list, no one actually cares.

Old 03-19-2019, 06:53 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,137,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
No it wasn't. You were incensed for a few posts before you trotted that out. I didn't even read it, I just thought it was ridiculous that you were acting all put out. It's a stupid "Top 20" list, no one actually cares.
Please teach this foolish millennial your mind-reading skills. I could probably figure out a way to employ them to solve all of my "first world problems."

Serious note: I wasn't upset. I'm honestly surprised that you interpreted it that way. Threads about the LGBTQ community here genuinely upset me, though.

Old 03-19-2019, 11:01 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,221,847 times
Wait til they get ass cancer or become dependent on physical aids or daily medications due to chronic health conditions. I worry about people who find such trivial mundane things to be their top stressors...it tells me they have no resiliency at all and will not be able to cope with actual hardship when it finally is their turn in the barrel.

A nation of easy-living snowflakes , has a harsh date with reality.

Old 03-19-2019, 11:44 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,904,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
Wait til they get ass cancer or become dependent on physical aids or daily medications due to chronic health conditions. I worry about people who find such trivial mundane things to be their top stressors...it tells me they have no resiliency at all and will not be able to cope with actual hardship when it finally is their turn in the barrel.

A nation of easy-living snowflakes , has a harsh date with reality.
Why would they deal with cancer any differently? One of my good friends (30 years old) is going through chemo right now. She's taking it better than one of my wife's uncles (boomer) who is really having a hard time mentally and emotionally dealing with it.

Some of these perspectives on millennials is so funny. Really living in some alternative reality.

Something something bootstraps and walking through snow uphill in both directions...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies