Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 03:35 AM

37,056 posts, read 42,009,908 times

Advertisements

It would be great if guaranteed federal loans for college were limited to those pursuing education in fields that are beneficial to society. If we went funding the fluff we could devote more to the substance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2019, 08:25 AM

45,027 posts, read 26,183,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
It would be great if guaranteed federal loans for college were limited to those pursuing education in fields that are beneficial to society. If we went funding the fluff we could devote more to the substance.
There is no way a committee of political appointees and operatives in DC can determine the educational needs for 320 million and rising (nor should they). Best to let the fedguv sit it out and let the education seekers and providers work it out amongst themselves.

Old 03-22-2019, 01:09 PM

34,937 posts, read 36,098,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
I'm sick of all the BS - forgive this, give that. I also had school loans as did my kids - but we paid off the loans ourselves. No one forgave anything. I paid off my house mortgage - 5 yrs earlier - no one gave me a special acknowledgement let alone a refund for being so conscientious. I pay off my cars early - again - no extra incentive for me. My son stayed home after college - worked and paid off a new car and $100,000 in 3 yrs. He didn't have a lot of extras - but he knew he had to get that debt off his head.

18 yrs old better know what they are doing or they'll learn a tough lesson. People need to take responsibility for their actions - period. I saw more new cars, spring break trips, apts because living in a dorm wasn't cool - and this was 40 yrs ago and it's only gotten worse. Kids need to decide which classes will be beneficial to take until they figure out what they want to do in life. No more fluff courses and party hardy.
Do you think everyone has your exact circumstances? I can count up a good many things that I've done that other people don't or cannot do and I could point a finger and call them all deadbeats for not "doing what I did," but I do not know them or their circumstances.

For example, you just said your son lived at home... not all people his age had that option after college.

So, the "bootstrap" thing looks good on paper, but the reality is that everyone has different life circumstances.

No need to kick people who are down already.

Old 03-22-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
what % of undergrad degrees do you think pay $150K/year for a 40 hour workweek, 50 weeks/year straight out of school.

what % of liberal arts degrees do you think do?

there are also people that dropped out of school and were billionaires within a decade. Not many, but they exist!!
Well, straight out of school? Probably not many.

LOL. But, that does not mean plenty of people with a bachelor's degree (or less) don't make 150k a year.

Old 03-22-2019, 01:11 PM

Quote:
so apparently, you're saying that they're allowed to negative am their debt after school, since they can't afford the interest with the job they get with all that debt. I believe that was my last point in the quoted post
No. I'm saying that there's a problem. You seem to be saying there isn't one.

The problem is not the students, btw.

Old 03-22-2019, 01:12 PM

Quote:
should be easy enough to show us the data about this.
Oh, good grief. This isn't court.

You can think whatever you want, man.

Old 03-22-2019, 01:13 PM

Quote:
so why wouldn't you expect the same out of others?

You cannot possibly be "independent" and claim that "it's OK for everyone else, I feel bad for them. But I'm teaching my kids the RIGHT way" - which you ARE, btw.

I know several folks who worked and paid their way through school. I know some who farted around, their parents quit paying for it, and they went to work until either a)they realized that "higher education" wasn't for them OR b) they decided they preferred white collar to blue collar work and buckled their ass down and then finished school quickly.

And I know that I worked during HS, during the summers in college, and 20 hours/week during my last semester in college.
So, another "bootstrap" tale? I know I'm giving mine advantages. I don't want them to have to deal with any of this stuff.

Old 03-22-2019, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Will there be a "fluff" committee? What happens when we no longer have any historians and people forget how to communicate properly?

LOL.

I'm all for tying the amount one can borrow to expected average salary for people in those fields once they graduate (as in, first 5 years salary average), but not loaning at all for art majors? Nay.

Old 03-23-2019, 06:04 PM

5,885 posts, read 3,865,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
You mean Nigerian basket weaving is a useless degree? I guess accepting entry brides that causes student to 'hang out' waiting for their degree is not stunning enough?

I heard a great way to eliminate the burden of student loans last night by Tucker Carlson.
Tucker Carlson is the same guy who graduated with a (gasp!) History degree in 1992. Has he ever held a job in that field? I don't think so. I wonder why he majored in History if he never ever wanted to do anything with it? Anyways, I just find it so funny that you listen to mainstream media talking heads with useless liberal arts degrees.

Old 03-24-2019, 05:46 AM

33,797 posts, read 16,800,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
There is no way a committee of political appointees and operatives in DC can determine the educational needs for 320 million and rising (nor should they). Best to let the fedguv sit it out and let the education seekers and providers work it out amongst themselves.
It would be easy. Loans should have various interest rates, tied directly to BLS related studies indicating future quantities of jobs relative to the present trend of future degree holders in the field. The healthier the ratio jobs/degree holders, the more reasonable the interest rate. The lower the jobs/candidates, the higher the interest rate charged students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies