Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 12:18 AM

3,617 posts, read 1,820,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
I originally posted this in Entertainment/TV and after 7-8 pages, Mod asked me to move it

When I watch entertainment, I want to be entertained. I do not want pseudo science global warming bull c**p on Madam Secretary or anti illegal immigration stories on For the People or Law and Order, SVU.

The news, on both sides, is crappy enough. I watch news during the day (both Fox and CNN to get perspective)....

I don't want it slammed down my throat on a "show"

The really sad thing is that a lot of younger individuals with not so great education take this a gospel and real!!

This is not a boycott call.

What do you think?

Change the channel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2019, 12:40 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,083,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Girl View Post
Or, maybe gay people exist. So, they show up in stories. You know, because stories are about things that exist.
Sometimes, matter of fact, many times, stories are about things that don’t exist.

Old 03-19-2019, 01:00 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Girl View Post
Or, maybe gay people exist. So, they show up in stories. You know, because stories are about things that exist.
But at one time, it was a big NO NO to depict homosexuality or interracial couples, in a positive way on network tv...it was always depicted in negative ways.

This is how public opinion on the 2 things changed so quickly (relatively), this was textbook 'conditioning'.

If you have a really good eye, you can see some of the things they are trying to do the same thing with, on tv today!

Old 03-19-2019, 01:09 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,397,655 times
Well, there is politics even in TV shows that don't have some agenda-driven angle: there's the studio politics and Executive Meddling (thank you, TV Tropes).

Old 03-19-2019, 02:04 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
this is why i tend to watch older shows, like from the 50s to the 70s, much less political. i also watch shows on astronomy, and shows on building cars. there are some new shows that i watch, like the orville, and lethal weapon, where they tend to stay away from politics in general. and yes you can find them around the channel guide. i also tend to watch shows dealing with food as well.

Old 03-19-2019, 05:35 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,583,387 times
I understand the frustration. Hollywood liberals are passionate in their politics and many put that into their shows.

No way to stop it.

Old 03-19-2019, 05:51 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
I originally posted this in Entertainment/TV and after 7-8 pages, Mod asked me to move it

When I watch entertainment, I want to be entertained. I do not want pseudo science global warming bull c**p on Madam Secretary or anti illegal immigration stories on For the People or Law and Order, SVU.

The news, on both sides, is crappy enough. I watch news during the day (both Fox and CNN to get perspective)....

I don't want it slammed down my throat on a "show"

The really sad thing is that a lot of younger individuals with not so great education take this a gospel and real!!

This is not a boycott call.

What do you think?
Madam Secretary is a show about politics. I figure if I didn't want to watch a politically slanted show I would not watch that show.

For me it isn't hard to stay away from the politics when I want to be entertained.....I just don't watch shows that are politically based....fiction or non-fiction.

Old 03-19-2019, 07:15 AM

19,607 posts, read 12,206,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Madam Secretary is a show about politics. I figure if I didn't want to watch a politically slanted show I would not watch that show.

For me it isn't hard to stay away from the politics when I want to be entertained.....I just don't watch shows that are politically based....fiction or non-fiction.
Politics are stuffed in all the tv shows and movies now. It cannot be avoided.

Old 03-19-2019, 07:19 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Politics are stuffed in all the tv shows and movies now. It cannot be avoided.

We find what we are looking for.

Old 03-19-2019, 07:34 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,747,353 times
Political correctness and social progressivism are being pushed hard in our entertainment media in the last few years, but I'm hoping it is an over correction that will level off with time. It's nice to see some diversity, but not every couple is interracial, not every white guy is either a villain or a homosexual and not every black guy is a scientist. I like to think that if I tune in to TV shows in ten years, all of that stuff will still be represented but it will be more background noise and less forced. It all has a "look at me!" feeling to it right now.

Has anyone watched the new Star Trek Discovery show yet? By the end of the first season every single white male main character either got killed off and/or turned out to be a gay person or a secret villain. Every single one. I think they realized they went a little overboard because at the start of season 2 they promptly added Captain Pike in to the mix and knew better than to make him a black guy. I'm a few episodes behind right now though, so maybe they've killed him off or given him an interracial gay lover by now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies