Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 08:27 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,212,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
In other words.....

The Democrats are trying to improve the country and I don't like it!!!!!

- Studies have shown lowering the voting age to 16 increases voter participation dramatically because for biological and educational reasons the young mind is more receptive to voting around the age of 16, and it becomes a habit that they keep to old age. That's why the Democrats want it. Don't tell me the right-wing doesn't get this when they are all for teaching abstinence and other right-wing hoohaa at about the same age.

- The Federal ID law is being abused by the right-wing to deny votes. This is already well documented.

- You know who was for open border? Ronald Reagan! Yea, what a far left nut that guy is. This used to be a common sense thing. The right-wing gone too far right, not the other way around.

- The EC has not served the country well, it did served the Republican party quite well. Let's get that straight. If you are only for what's good for one party, then keep it.

- Even in San Francisco I have NEVER heard anyone said illegals should be able to vote in general elections.

See, Democrats are for common sense improvement. But for a far-right winger, that can come across as less than desirable.

The term “common sense” used by liberals are mutually exclusive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2019, 08:28 PM

3,346 posts, read 1,267,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
I don't look at individual self-reliance as falling behind. I see other countries falling behind in individual freedoms and liberties, and I see governments pandering to people in an attempt to convince them that they can't live without them. Once you give away a freedom or liberty to a government, you never, ever get it back.
What freedoms have been taken away in other developed nations?

Old 03-20-2019, 08:33 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,957,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli34 View Post
What freedoms have been taken away in other developed nations?
Speech and the right to bear arms (I believe the right to self defense to be a basic right). But that's not all of it. When you hand over 1/3 of the economy (healthcare) to the government, you allow the government to dicatate the terms of service. Same with major social programs. It takes away liberty and responsibility from the individual, and that causes dependence issues and lack of motivation. I don't want the government involved in my daily life.

Old 03-20-2019, 08:52 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Democrats are NOT for open borders. NOT for 16 year old kids voting. NOT for illegals voting. Yes, some have gone too far, waaaay too far. So have some Republicans. It's getting scary on both sides.

Hopefully, there will be a candidate who will support the people in the middle--that's most of us. We do NOT want illegals. We DO want universal health care. Most of us agree on most things. We will never vote for far left or far right.

Old 03-20-2019, 08:55 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
The Electoral College has been working well for almost 235 years.

It balances the rights of both the larger and smaller states. It also helps to minimize political corruption within individual states (such as Illinois, New York, Louisiana, New Jersey or California) which otherwise could damage the National elections.

The proof that it works is the constant swing every 4 or 8 years from one party to another.

It would be foolish to change it and quite possibly would be the beginning of the breakup of this country.
Huh? Since when did the Democrat win the electoral vote but lost the popular vote?

Old 03-20-2019, 09:14 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 205 View Post
(Long post)

I try my best to avoid hyperbole because so many people nowadays engage in especially when it comes to politics but I'm sincerely worried about how incredibly far left the party has gone and even more so how quickly it has occurred. FWIW, I'm an Independent. Didn't vote for either candidate in 2016

This isn't to say that the Republican party is blameless either btw. They spend like drunken sailors too and have dropped the ball on reigning in spending when given majorities in congress so this isn't a zero sum, one sided complaint against the Democratic party as much as it is sincere concern about HOW FAR left they've gone. Throughout our country's history each party has lurched a little left or right as the whole political spectrum has drifted slowly but steadily left over time. Up until a few years ago the Democratic party while strongly liberal was still reasonably practical and at least still within the bounds of the mainstream political spectrum of the country as a whole. Democrats more or less still believed in and respected our Constitutional Republic. The last 2 years however? Wow!!! The party is starting to advocate for and normalize extreme and unprecedented changes to both the constitution and government's involvement in almost every aspect of our economy and individual rights as U.S. citizens. I understand many on the left were shocked that Trump got elected and are appalled at his style, the way he carries himself, and his policies but there's nothing to suggest that the country is collapsing or going to collapse as a result of his presidency. You can hate him and refuse to accept and exercise your constitutional right to protest him but he's done nothing to suggest the country won't survive his term as president. If anything, the economy continues to improve and he's kept his promise to dial back our military involvement in the Middle East which should at least ease your fears that he's going to go on a war binge. Last but not least, despite the left's irrational fears of him being a dictator and shredding everyone's constitutional rights and erasing "norms", he hasn't. In fact, if anything he has actually supported more freedoms and civil rights if you're consider the historic and bi-partisan prison reform bill he worked with Democrats on and signed into law. Unfortunately, I'm not sure the Democratic party can justifiable say the same thing which brings me to the main point of this thread.

The far left fringe is leading the Democratic party to a dangerous place. Consider the following "norms" that are being challenged and threatened by the far left and increasingly the party as a whole:

1) Proposals to stack the Supreme Court - A growing number of Democratic presidential candidates and leaders in the party are in favor of...stack the Supreme Court. A court which in it's current configuration has served the country well for over 200 hundred years conveniently "doesn't work" anymore now that it might always rule in favor of the left's interest so it must be changed. Incredibly short sighted move that would cause chaos with precedents and the rule of law in the country.

2) Proposals to end the Electoral college - Again, an election system that has served us very well throughout our history. The founders brilliantly set it up the way they did representation was spread across the country in order to avoid having all political and electoral power concentration in a handful of large population centers. Two of the last three presidents (and only 4 in history) who just happened to be despised by Democrats managed to win the presidency despite losing the popular vote. Everyone knew the rules going into each election and campaigned and fairly won each election but because it didn't work out a couple of times for Democrats they want to change a system that has served us well for over 200 years.

3) Proposals to lower the voting age to 16 and consider possibly allowing illegal immigrants to vote in federal elections - Why stop at 16? Why not lower it to age 13? Againother proposal that simply doesn't make a lot of sense considering 16 year olds have had a very limited life experience and in almost every case no "real world" experience trying to make a living and/or supported a family themselves. They're still developing mentally and physically and generally speaking aren't mature enough to understand the implications of their vote. From a practical standpoint, I suppose it's not a totally ridiculous proposal. From a cynical standpoint, it's an obvious and transparent attempt by Democrats to create a large crop of new voters that will most like vote Democratic.

4) Proposal to allow illegal or undocumented immigrations the right to vote in federal elections - In fairness to Democrats, this is mostly being pushed by the far left wing of the party. The problem though is that the far left wing is currently driving the party and putting pressure on moderate Dems who still at least for the moment run the party. Again, not saying the Democratic party itself officially supports this, but the fact it's even being brought up publically as a serious proposal by even a single representative at all is nuts. That is a red line with most America citizens that if crossed I worry could lead the country to the brink of another civil war.

5) Support for open borders - I realize that term infuriates most Democrats but a refusal to acknowledge the reality of our broken immigration system and an indifference towards or refusal to get serious about fixing it and properly securing our southern border is by default an admission that Democrats are ok with open borders. The current policy of detaining tens of thousands of illegal immigrants crossing the border, releasing them into our country, and expecting them to pinkie swear to follow the law by showing up later for a
mandatory court date that only about 6% end up for, and considering that a "deportation" is insane. It's "catch and release" or de facto open borders and anyone who is ok with such a system is for open borders

6) Refusal to support a reasonable federal voter ID law - I'm sorry, but this position makes no sense to me. We as citizens are required to show a valid driver's license or valid non-driver ID card to identify ourselves for countless every day transactions. The argument that requiring citizens to find a couple of hours of one day to go to their county courthouse or local dmv and buy a dirt cheap (or in some cases free) photo ID (driver's license, not driver ID card, etc) and/or property register to vote equates to "voter suppression" or creates an undue hardship is patently absurd. A reasonable argument can be made that voting be made for more convenient and more accessible but not the argument that requiring a photo ID to vote is unreasonable. Presenting a valid photo ID of yourself when you vote and haven't them check you against the registered voter rolls is the single biggest way we protect our own vote. Arguing it's unnecessary is ridiculous.

I could go on but you get the point for now. I didn't even get to some of the even bigger issues but will try to add them later when I have more time. I know many on this board will strongly disagree and others will get pissed off and not even bother refuting the points but I'm just calling it like I see it and trying to give you one independent's perspective. Hopefully, it will at very least start a healthy conversation.

Our current two party system works better when both political parties reign in the far left and far right factions of their respective parties and at the moment it looks like the Republicans are doing a much better job of reigning in the radical wing of their party than the Democrats are. When the radicals in either party appear to be taking over their respective party I think it's good idea to point it out. Until we have a viable third party in this country we need both parties to be healthy to keep the our system from cracking apart. Just my humble opinion.
You might be registered as an independent but that^ is straight up Republican talking points. I would be more inclined to respond to it if you had just come out and admitted your partisanship.

Old 03-20-2019, 09:15 PM

5,725 posts, read 2,189,978 times
You nailed it OP. Laid the points out there perfectly and I agree with each one

Old 03-20-2019, 09:16 PM

12,966 posts, read 9,645,364 times
They are no more terrifying than the far right, now that's scary.

Old 03-20-2019, 09:17 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,957,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
You might be registered as an independent but that^ is straight up Republican talking points. I would be more inclined to respond to it if you had just come out and admitted your partisanship.
Weakest post of the day award. (This one gets 2nd place)

Old 03-20-2019, 09:19 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Democrats are NOT for open borders. NOT for 16 year old kids voting. NOT for illegals voting. Yes, some have gone too far, waaaay too far. So have some Republicans. It's getting scary on both sides.

Hopefully, there will be a candidate who will support the people in the middle--that's most of us. We do NOT want illegals. We DO want universal health care. Most of us agree on most things. We will never vote for far left or far right.
Yeah I'm not sure where the OP got some of his/her ideas but I've never heard anyone advocating many of those issues. My mind might change later on but so far I've donated to Amy Klobuchar, John Hickenlooper and Pete Buttigieg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies