Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should there be expungement for 1st-time drunken drivers?
Yes 29 40.85%
No 42 59.15%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 05:39 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,381,911 times

Advertisements

Perhaps, if they've gone ten years without another arrest and have gone though AA and therapy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2019, 05:47 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,752,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Lol, they tried that once, did not work.

Alcohol is absurdly easy to make, any attempts at making it overly restrict people will just get it very easily anyway, and even better, no way to tell nor enforce how they got it.

Hell, i got a batch of wine going at home now.
Marijuana is just as easy if not easier to produce yourself as alcohol is, yet the government keeps that illegal. I doubt if alcohol prohibition were the law today it would be reversed just because it created more organized crime and could be made by individuals. It would instead be used as an excuse to increase law enforcement budgets and further oppress otherwise law abiding citizens, like marijuana prohibition is used today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
IF it didnt work, why was it the first thing they tried with prescription painkillers then?
Because they are idiots, or actively pernicious. The alternative to many of those pain killers is not making your own at home, it's using heroin and other harder, destructive and intensely addictive drugs. The use of those drugs has skyrocketed in recent years and destroyed countless lives. That was either a very unfortunate unforeseen consequence or someone somewhere wanted that result.

Old 03-21-2019, 05:50 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times
I think the laws should be tougher.

One offense, lose your license for a year.

Second offense - lose your car.

Done.

Old 03-21-2019, 05:56 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
I think the laws should be tougher.

One offense, lose your license for a year.

Second offense - lose your car.

Done.
Agree and should apply equally to all other infractions such as speeding, failure to signal, rolling a stop, driving too slow, expired license plates

Old 03-21-2019, 05:56 AM

19,842 posts, read 12,102,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
The biggest reason we are so soft on it is that pols and LE do it to the max (I am very familiar with both), so even good cops feel a little kinship with that poor drunk driver.

I knew a Vietnam Vet who was caught at least 5 times totally drunk and driving. He actually assaulted the cop who stopped him once or twice.

Nothing happened because the cops felt bad for him (he did have horrible PTSD, but still).
What decade was that?

Old 03-21-2019, 05:58 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times
If you're too stupid to realize you're too impaired to drive a motorized killing machine, then you should lose the privilege to own one.

Old 03-21-2019, 05:59 AM

5,752 posts, read 2,781,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Agree and should apply equally to all other infractions such as speeding, failure to signal, rolling a stop, driving too slow, expired license plates
Right, and you should go to death row for a triple murder, and jaywalking.
Don’t you people have the least bit of common sense?

Old 03-21-2019, 05:59 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
If you're too stupid to realize you're too impaired to drive a motorized killing machine, then you should lose the privilege to own one.
Agree and same with speeding, driving tired, speeding, failure to signal...

The cops could implement roadside IQ tests

Old 03-21-2019, 06:00 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,752,145 times
Quote:
Better yet, let's force everyone to use uber, or even better still, government licensed taxi cabs. If prices skyrocket due to use of the service becoming mandatory, the government can just enact strict price controls. It will be a ride sharing utopia!

Old 03-21-2019, 06:01 AM

73,013 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
I dont think drunken driving should be a crime.
And I think you're wrong. Drunk driving is dangerous driving. Deadly driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies