Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: In March ‘19 is there a labor shortage in the United States?
Yes 8 36.36%
No 14 63.64%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 09:26 PM

18,560 posts, read 7,362,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
No, we're experiencing a skilled labor shortage. One of the biggest complaints employers have is not being able to find employees who are qualified. There are plenty of people out there who still want to work but aren't, and that's because they don't have the required skills to take advantage of the job openings that are out there right now.

Companies creating jobs is great, but you have to have someone who can actually do the work to fill them.
No, you have to pay the market rate. If you don't find someone "who can actually do the work", it is because you are not paying the market rate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2019, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
That link says that manufacturers are trying to pay less than the market rate, which means no shortage.

Which should not surprise anyone, since a labor shortage is basically a logical impossibility in the absence of a catastrophic reduction of the number of people in the normal working age range.

Old 03-20-2019, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The birth rate is half what it was in 1960.

There has been an ongoing dramatic decline in the teen birth rate.
Which is another way of saying that Americans don't think there is a labor shortage.

Old 03-20-2019, 09:49 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,765,810 times
Quote:
No, we're experiencing a skilled labor shortage. One of the biggest complaints employers have is not being able to find employees who are qualified. There are plenty of people out there who still want to work but aren't, and that's because they don't have the required skills to take advantage of the job openings that are out there right now.

Companies creating jobs is great, but you have to have someone who can actually do the work to fill them.
If companies were willing to pay what the job is worth, and provide training as required... they'd have no shortage of skilled workers.

We don't have a labor shortage. We have a pay shortage.

Old 03-20-2019, 09:52 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,138,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
In March of 2019 in your view is the US economy currently experiencing a labor shortage? Feel free to make your case once you’ve answered the poll.
Mightn't it be more useful to discuss opinions of experts with statistics, instead of comparing laymen personal option? I don't know if there's a labor shortage overall, but there's apparently a shortage of SKILLED labor.

Old 03-20-2019, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Mightn't it be more useful to discuss opinions of experts with statistics, instead of comparing laymen personal option? I don't know if there's a labor shortage overall, but there's apparently a shortage of SKILLED labor.
There are no statistics that could ever be relevant to this topic. And, no, there is not a shortage of skilled labor.

Old 03-20-2019, 10:03 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,364,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
The expert consensus is there is a shortage across many industries, which includes blue collar/low skill jobs. However there appears to be some dissonance between reality and what Joe the Plumber thinks. So this is more of an exercise to show the perception of posters on this message board...plus a few dozen Russian trolls.

Old 03-20-2019, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
The expert consensus is there is a shortage across many industries, which includes blue collar/low skill jobs. However there appears to be some dissonance between reality and what Joe the Plumber thinks. So this is more of an exercise to show the perception of posters on this message board...plus a few dozen Russian trolls.
What the hell is a Russian troll?

And there is no such thing as a labor shortage in this country. It is an impossibility by definition except in an extreme situation like the Alamo where there is literally no additional labor available at any price. So, no, the expert consensus is NOT that "there is a shortage across many industries".

Old 03-20-2019, 10:30 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
If companies were willing to pay what the job is worth, and provide training as required... they'd have no shortage of skilled workers.

We don't have a labor shortage. We have a pay shortage.
Skilled labor shortage, I can understand. So my question is why aren't American companies willing to train people? I mean like they do in Germany?

Two things I see about American companies. The first you can easily see, just look at so many of the job postings for any job. They expect you to have a degree AND 5 years experience for a entry level job with entry level pay. Basically they want other companies or the government to train their employees for them.

The second thing I see is related to the problem above. American companies only think short term, how can I increase dividends and share price for my stockholders. So they increasingly see workers as a burden instead of a skilled asset. Instead of looking to train and keep employees long term for the future, they are looking short term to layoff people so their stock goes up.

I agree with Turkey-head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies