Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 09:41 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,618,997 times

Advertisements

Americans are consuming more and more stuff. Now that other countries won’t take our papers and plastics, they’re ending up in the trash.

After decades of earnest public-information campaigns, Americans are finally recycling. Airports, malls, schools, and office buildings across the country have bins for plastic bottles and aluminum cans and newspapers. In some cities, you can be fined if inspectors discover that you haven’t recycled appropriately.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/mark...cid=spartandhp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2019, 09:46 PM

3,861 posts, read 2,230,919 times
The only thing worth recycling is aluminum cans and scrap metal...that's why they pay you for it. Everything else can thrown in the trash.

Old 03-14-2019, 09:47 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,342,946 times
Once China changed their policy last year, that was basically the beginning of the end to recycling being worth it in the US. Now it's going to cost huge amounts to resort all the recyclables here in the US for other countries to even accept the stuff and with not that many companies in the US wanting the stuff to use in manufacturing (there are some) most of it is just going to go into the landfill, oh well, it was nice while it lasted!

Old 03-14-2019, 09:52 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,013,867 times
Every day USPS brings to me reams of junk mail, delivered by a gas powered truck. It all goes into recycling, and then is trucked back out by a diesel powered truck. My mailman once explained to me that they get paid to deliver the junk mail.

I thought maybe this would be changed under the Obama admin, since he claimed to care about global warming, but no. Maybe President Inslee or O'Rourke would change it; they are running big-time on climate change. I bet they won't, though.

Old 03-14-2019, 10:09 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,138,519 times
Our local recycling program only takes cardboard and paper now. They say that no one wants anything else.

Old 03-14-2019, 11:53 PM

1,950 posts, read 1,130,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
My mailman once explained to me that they get paid to deliver the junk mail.
This. Exactly this.

The post office takes money to deliver mail. Those stamps you see on the upper right hand corner of the letter (or in the case of bulk mail, just delivering from a specific address), actually costs money. Alarming once you realize that the post office collects money for delivering mail.

Old 03-14-2019, 11:54 PM

1,950 posts, read 1,130,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
The only thing worth recycling is aluminum cans and scrap metal...that's why they pay you for it. Everything else can thrown in the trash.
Paper products are still worth recycling.

Plastic, on the other hand is definitely not. The only solution is to use as little plastic as possible.

Old 03-15-2019, 03:35 AM

29,835 posts, read 24,927,606 times
If anything should be recycled, it's plastic. The stuff is toxic and does not break down in a timely manner like other materials. It will linger in the environment for a thousand years after we are gone, probably more. It's terrible that we use plastic for packaging and bottles, which are used once and thrown away generally. Very wasteful.

Old 03-15-2019, 10:36 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,817,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
My mailman once explained to me that they get paid to deliver the junk mail.
I have no issues with you people that are so wealthy that you don't have to even think about what has to go into mailing a letter. But I am very concerned about you being so out of the loop with reality that you don't know that the post office gets paid by collecting postage fees.

You should visit a post office and learn how to mail a letter. They are generally very helpful to the ignorant

Old 03-16-2019, 07:23 AM

11,144 posts, read 10,718,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
If anything should be recycled, it's plastic. The stuff is toxic and does not break down in a timely manner like other materials. It will linger in the environment for a thousand years after we are gone, probably more. It's terrible that we use plastic for packaging and bottles, which are used once and thrown away generally. Very wasteful.
A problem easily alleviated - not completely solved, but definitely improved - by pushing for hemp production.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies