Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 03:29 PM

3,850 posts, read 2,226,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I think marijuana is going to have to be de-stigmatized.
In my experience, marijuana has been completely de-stigmatized. When I was a kid in the early 90s (the "Just say no" era), marijuana had the same reputation as crack. It was hard drugs. When they asked Bill Clinton if he had previously used marijuana, that was serious accusation that threatened his candidacy. Remember the "I did not inhale" nonsense?

Then, there was a slow de-stigmatization that happened over the course of 25 years. It happened mostly in the media. There were light-hearted comedies about weed, sitcoms about weed dealers where the protagonist was never portrayed negatively. Now no one cares. Cops don't even care even in states where it's still very illegal. People in professional settings openly talk about using marijuana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2019, 03:30 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,138,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Those with religion delusion tend to not need intoxicants. That puts them one up on drunks and stoners.
"Stoners" would have a completely different meaning if religious extremists had their way.

12,566 posts, read 10,616,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiociolliscalves View Post
Grown men and women who need to get stoned or drunk to feel good about themselves have tremendous holes in their lives and you and I and even they understand, underneath, that doing these things won't address those holes, thus the lying and denial. You'll see it from the users in this thread.
Not everybody that gets stoned or drunk do it to fill holes in their lives. Some do it for the fun of it.

9,897 posts, read 3,429,020 times
Quote:
Grown men and women who need to get stoned or drunk to feel good about themselves have tremendous holes in their lives and you and I and even they understand, underneath, that doing these things won't address those holes, thus the lying and denial. You'll see it from the users in this thread.
First sentence contains a major assumption. People can smoke pot for different reasons other than the need to "feel good about themselves."

Try again.

19,718 posts, read 10,121,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Those with religion delusion tend to not need intoxicants. That puts them one up on drunks and stoners.
Religion can be an intoxicant. It is based on a delusion about a sky fairy.

Old 03-22-2019, 03:31 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,411,792 times
Quote:
Correct. The cacophony of pro-marijuana propaganda from the industry, from politicians and popular media will drown out dissent and the mounting scientific evidence about the psychological effects of prolonged use of this chemical.
The scientific evidence is already clear that it is MUCH less harmful than tobacco, especially when it is not smoked. Hence, makes zero sense to keep it illegal when tobacco is legal.

Old 03-22-2019, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
First sentence contains a major assumption. People can smoke pot for different reasons other than the need to "feel good about themselves."

Try again.
As well, consuming any amount of cannabis != getting stoned.

Just as, consuming any amount of alcohol != getting drunk.

Old 03-22-2019, 03:32 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,138,783 times
I'd say the daily grind of spending at least half one's waking hours rotting in a cubicle and half the remainder getting ready for and recovering from work (plus commuting) does a far better job of grinding the spirit out of people.

Old 03-22-2019, 03:33 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,094,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
I love weed, it helps me relax when I need to. It makes sex way better.

It even helps me work better sometimes in low doses.

It's no business of the government's or anyone else's if I want to ingest a harmless plant.

It's certainly much less harmful than alcohol or nicotine.
How does it make sex "way better"?

I mean, I agree with most everything else you wrote. But I don't think that it makes sex better.

Also, it is not harmless--nothing is harmless.

Old 03-22-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Religion can be an intoxicant. It is based on a delusion about a sky fairy.
x2. Religion has had a much more negative impact on my life than cannabis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies