Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 07:15 PM

574 posts, read 382,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I believe in Climate Change, Global Warming, Global Cooling or whatever they are calling it today. It is a natural cycle that the planet has gone through since the beginning but the thing is I don't believe the alarmists like Al Gore that had to readjust his predictions to keep the Fear rolling along. I don't agree with the dire hype and none of us should buy into how politicized the global warming idea has become.

I agree with you OP that the Climate alarmists should practice what they preach by reducing their personal carbon footprints.
I don't think Al Gore could get rid of that jet. He couldn't give up the jet set mentality if he tried. "Joking" aside, your sentiment sums it up perfectly as far as I'm concerned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2019, 07:31 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
Why don't the AGW believers save themselves...
Because there's no escaping a crapsack world. We have the one biosphere. Also, it is possible to actually care for someone not yourself. I know it may feel like a weird thought.

Old 03-22-2019, 07:43 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
AGW believers are very similar to the Seventh-Day Adventists that were convinced that the rapture was coming, but unlike the warming alarmists they tended to keep to themselves. They weren't out proselytizing, trying to get the whole world to come with them. I don't really take issue with anybody believing in things, but they shouldn't be able to change public policy or dictate how other people should live their lives.

Why don't the AGW believers save themselves like the rest of the end-of-the world cults do? Practice what you preach. Move to the mountains to avoid the flood. Let the rest of us non-believers drown. We'll be alright.
Really, what drives people like you in not believing global warming is true? Are you simply afraid you'll end up having to pay higher taxes and put up with prohibitive regulations? Instead, you would rather society pay for damages that global warming brings about as it happens, which may not even happen in the first place, if global warming is a myth.

Old 03-22-2019, 08:18 PM

3,850 posts, read 2,228,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Really, what drives people like you in not believing global warming is true?
We believe the dissident scientists because their argument makes wayyyy more sense. But that isn't what this thread is supposed to be about.

The point is this:
Quote:
Are you simply afraid you'll end up having to pay higher taxes and put up with prohibitive regulations?
Prohibitive regulations, taxing, ect should not be imposed on those of us who don't believe that the world is ending. You are free to believe in AGW, but you can't force other people to change their lifestyle. Run and save yourselves, but leave everyone else alone. That's all I'm saying.

Old 03-22-2019, 08:29 PM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
We believe the dissident scientists because their argument makes wayyyy more sense. But that isn't what this thread is supposed to be about.
No, you believe them not because they are correct, but because it's what you want to believe.

The point is this:

Quote:
Prohibitive regulations, taxing, ect should not be imposed on those of us who don't believe that the world is ending. You are free to believe in AGW, but you can't force other people to change their lifestyle. Run and save yourselves, but leave everyone else alone. That's all I'm saying.
Who said that the world is ending? So what you are saying is that if I don't own a car I shouldn't have to pay for bridges, tunnels and highways? Too bad, that is not the way our society works.

Old 03-22-2019, 08:32 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,117,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemsis View Post
I see that you are unable to provide a reliable source to back up your claims that climate scientists are in it for the money.
lol, its hilarious. Theyed make more just backing oil companies.

Old 03-22-2019, 08:34 PM

16,087 posts, read 10,753,057 times
Climate change ( AKA Global Warming) is coming whether the pea-brain deniers think so or not. Is human activity a contributing factor? Yes. Is it a controlling factor? Maybe, maybe not. If human activity can be amended in a way that mitigates the severity of climate change, should we try that approach? Yes. Will natural factors or natural disasters such as massive or multiple volcanic eruptions or regional forest or bush fires make things worse? Yes. Would it be wise to take that into account and try to mitigate the human contribution to global warming? Indeed, it would. Should we prepare for massive movement of human populations away from places no longer habitable? You bet. Should I buy beachfront property for a long-term residence or investment? No. Should I revisit New Orleans and Venice and try to see the Maldives before they slip under the waves? Yes.

Old 03-22-2019, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Who said that the world is ending?
AGW proponents do.

Quote:
So what you are saying is that if I don't own a car I shouldn't have to pay for bridges, tunnels and highways? Too bad, that is not the way our society works.
Sorry. You don't have the authority to force other people to change their lifestyle or pay some kind of tax for the sake of saving the world from "global warming". Not you, not this government, and certainly not a globalist international organization in some foreign nation. No.

If you believe in AGW, practice what you preach and leave the rest of us alone.

Old 03-22-2019, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Would it be wise to take that into account and try to mitigate the human contribution to global warming?
Mitigate YOUR OWN activity. Leave everybody else alone.

Quote:
Should we prepare for massive movement of human populations away from places no longer habitable? You bet. Should I buy beachfront property for a long-term residence or investment? No. Should I revisit New Orleans and Venice and try to see the Maldives before they slip under the waves? Yes.
YOU MOVE. You move to the Himilayas and prepare for the flood, the rest of us will be fine.

Old 03-22-2019, 09:07 PM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
AGW proponents do.
The only thing I've seen is deniers making that claim....I've never seen or heard of a climate scientist saying it, or for that matter anyone who accepts the science.

Quote:
Sorry. You don't have the authority to force other people to change their lifestyle, or pay some kind of tax, for the sake of saving the world from "global warming". Not you, not this government, and certainly not a globalist international organization in some foreign nation. No.
You're right, I have no such authority, nor do I want it....By the way I have been paying carbon tax since 2008 and it hasn't harmed me in any way.

Quote:
If you believe in AGW, practice what you preach and leave the rest of us alone.
I do...I have been living as green as I can for years....How are you going to feel when the bill comes due on the damage caused by climate change?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies