Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which decade was more conservative?
1980s 23 67.65%
1990s 11 32.35%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 08:49 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,610,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Both were common in the 1980s. High schools had shooting teams and smoking areas. My own high school dropped the smoking areas around 1986/1987. Shooting club remained until 1991, I believe.
Believe me, schools in most places didn't have shooting clubs after 1969 or so. Perhaps you were brought up near where you live now?

My military school, of course, had plenty of shooting and so did all my summer camps. But that had nothing to do with conservative or liberal (the camps were VERY liberal, one Quaker and one Jewish).

Also, both in military school and camps there was zero obsession. That is, I never remember talking to a single person or having a single conversation about guns outside of the range, even tho I had a medal and ribbons (marksman) for it.

I would therefore put it outside the realm of conservative vs. liberal except that "rural-military" places like JAX area may have held onto the shooting clubs longer since guns were much more prevalent in most homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2019, 09:24 PM

41,816 posts, read 74,868,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
By the way I don't remember high schools allowing their students to bring guns or smoke on campus.
I didn't know anyone who had guns, other than for hunting, and why would they bring those to school? We did have a smoking lounge, though, for seniors and juniors - this was mid to late 70s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Born and raised a New Yorker
What does this vomitorium of words have to do with the thread topic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbobbbb View Post
The republicans didn't control congress until Jan 1995,so they only controlled it for 1/2 of the 90's and had a democrat in the whitehouse during that period.
Republicans started their "revolution" the instant Clinton was elected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
The Media for example could not find one critical thing to say about the Yugoslav wars, the gulf war, NAFTA, or the breaking of anti-trust laws.
What media were you reading? There was plenty critical said about each one of those issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Music in the 80s was also quite “safe” compared to the 90s. Grunge and hip-hop really shocked people as the 80s became the 90s.
We must not have listened to the same music in the 80s. And the only thing shocking about grunge was how derivative and monotonous it was.

Old 03-23-2019, 09:36 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,462,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
The 90s were more socially liberal. TV and music were a lot more “safe” and “family oriented” in the ‘80s. In the ‘90s, things were a lot more experimental. TV sitcoms were more likely to use profanity or touch on controversial social issues. You didn’t see that as much in the 80s. TV in the 90s was more likely to feature non-traditional families and was less uptight about sexual themes. Music in the 80s was also quite “safe” compared to the 90s. Grunge and hip-hop really shocked people as the 80s became the 90s. The 90s was also the first decade that it was somewhat acceptable to be gay and open about it, even though back then you had to be in a major coastal city.
The 80's had metal, which was quite controversial at the time.

Old 03-23-2019, 09:38 PM

776 posts, read 391,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Believe me, schools in most places didn't have shooting clubs after 1969 or so.
I think that 1969 is when guns went from being a universal American norm to being something that divided Americans.

Old 03-23-2019, 10:37 PM

78,866 posts, read 46,445,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalist View Post
The 80s by a mile. It was a conservative revival and the decade of upward mobility. From what I've heard from those older than me, it was my Happy Days decade. I turned 21 a few days after New Years 1980.

The morning of my first day of High School, I learned it was open bar and what a bong was, in the parking lot.
18 was legal drinking age and many Juniors and Seniors were 18.
They all drank Schiltz back then. YUCK!

Old 03-23-2019, 11:53 PM

5,528 posts, read 3,219,270 times
I'd say the 80s.

But one thing that's often forgotten about the 80s is that 70s liberalism bled over into the early 80s. In 1981 Reds was nominated for Best Picture. By 1983-1984 the culture had changed into what we regard as prototypical 80s culture.

Old 03-24-2019, 01:17 AM

776 posts, read 391,533 times
I wonder: Do people who believe that gun control doesn't work want their kids to be able to bring their guns to school?

Old 03-24-2019, 04:35 AM

77,013 posts, read 47,426,499 times
Quote:
All you have to do is see which party controlled Congress in both decades and you will have your answer.
Dems in the 80's and the Repubs in the 90's.
Well, most remember the 80's as the decade of conservatism, so your argument would mean it was because of Democrat congress.

The national debt tripled under Reagan, and he launched a massive amnesty program for illegal immigrants. Also, taxes AFTER his cuts were still higher than even Obama's taxes.

Old 03-24-2019, 04:52 AM

19,963 posts, read 30,087,977 times
id say it wasn't so much a movement towards conservatism....but the recognition...that our so called media ...started leaning so far left when 99.5 % of so called journalists vote democrats and despise the other party...the news is bias and not balanced..

so in the late 80's and 90's because the left media were cheerleaders for the democrat party......this opened a void....for rush Limbaugh and fox news..
yes that's right...the media did this to themselves because they moved so far left...
trump is also a result of the rights' disgust over the left media and how they protect democrats..

Reagan was a great president...…. he made America great again .. jimmy carter was a nice guy and meant well but soft leader...18% interest rates on mortgage...looked weak around the world....you cant appease dictators and hope for the best..

id choose the 80's because it was the first time a president ..Reagan ..articulated what conservative values were.... he believed in the American dream....no matter your background.....if you work hard...you can be rewarded.... and get government out of the way ..

Old 03-24-2019, 05:48 AM

9,897 posts, read 3,409,857 times
Quote:
All you have to do is see which party controlled Congress in both decades and you will have your answer.
Dems in the 80's and the Repubs in the 90's.

By the way I don't remember high schools allowing their students to bring guns or smoke on campus.
Where did you go to school that this happened?
My high school had a gun safety class for hunters, so there were some guns in school (though it was after school).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies