Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2019, 04:11 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
Sounds great but if they were capable of doing those types of jobs consistently (meaning every single day are able to show up for work and can do so at a stable pace) they would not be homeless.
It's one of those Catch 22's, like filing for bankruptcy (you know, where if you had the cash to pay the lawyer up front, which they require to file, you wouldn't need to file)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2019, 04:15 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,752,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
I think the answer is, if you do not work, you do not eat.
Wouldnt California be a fine example of free market capitalism in action for the homeless there?

Also, what is free market capitalisms response to homeless pooping in the streets and littering used needles all over the place?
17. oh, I'm sorry. I thought you asked me on a scale of 1-10, how idiotic is this thread. in a free market capitalist system, you'd have charities like you do now that help the homeless. if there is a problem, you start a charity. you get churches and communities involved. I am so sick of idiotic questions.

Old 03-23-2019, 04:21 PM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post

This is a central principle of how any advancing society operates, and it can likely be incorporated into the overall "safety net" at minimal cost; but those who display minimal responsibility deserve minimal rights, and minimal amenities.

Old 03-23-2019, 04:27 PM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.â€" (set 2 days ago)

27,178 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post

I can't dispute this, over the short run; the notorious Enclosure Acts were a method of forcing the peasantry into the industrial slums of the cities -- a measure made possible only by misuse of the monopoly on power granted to the modern nation-state (something most of the Lefties here can't wait to get their hands on).

But over the long run, better living standards found their way into everyone's life -- something which doesn't happen as quickly, nor as completely in a statist/collectivist society.

in other words, despite the whining and carping of those with a short span of attention, prosperity trickled down, as it always does, always will and cannot by any other means without persecution and the misuse of power.
Just because people were forced in to cities and industrial slums does not make them better off.

Friedrich Engels wrote extensively about the conditions in industrialised England, and his close friend Karl Marx also based much of his work on what he had seen in Engand, a country he spent and lot of time living in and which both Engels and Marx died in.

The Condition of the Working Class in England - Wikipedia

Old 03-23-2019, 04:41 PM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Homelessness isn't a "problem".

Nothing is a problem unless there's a violation of the non-aggression principle.
Correct.

It is a lifestyle choice.

Old 03-23-2019, 04:54 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
From what I have seen they move to Florida where they can stay outdoors all year round.
Many do, but the heat and humidity and mold and insects mean an early death here....after much suffering.

A recent story followed some homeless in the tampa area...22 died during the story.

"A majority of the dead were white men. Five were women, two were black, one was American Indian and four were Hispanic. Four were military veterans. Their average age: 51."

Old 03-23-2019, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Many do, but the heat and humidity and mold and insects mean an early death here....after much suffering.

A recent story followed some homeless in the tampa area...22 died during the story.

"A majority of the dead were white men. Five were women, two were black, one was American Indian and four were Hispanic. Four were military veterans. Their average age: 51."
at least we know democrats and liberals won't want to propose another tax to stop this from happening. as a white man who hates taxes, I have mixed emotions.

Old 03-23-2019, 04:56 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
17. oh, I'm sorry. I thought you asked me on a scale of 1-10, how idiotic is this thread. in a free market capitalist system, you'd have charities like you do now that help the homeless. if there is a problem, you start a charity. you get churches and communities involved. I am so sick of idiotic questions.
Wouldn't it have helped in the new Tax law didn't do away with charitable deductions for most filers?

A society needs to tune their policies in the right ways to address their problems. Perhaps even more tax credits could have been given for certain charities???

Instead, we get them for corporations....

Old 03-23-2019, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Wouldn't it have helped in the new Tax law didn't do away with charitable deductions for most filers?

A society needs to tune their policies in the right ways to address their problems. Perhaps even more tax credits could have been given for certain charities???

Instead, we get them for corporations....
that really has nothing to do with the question or the thread.

Old 03-23-2019, 04:58 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Woodchippers r us
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies