Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 06:08 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,400,677 times

Advertisements

If I was the CEO of the Fox Empire, the board could fire me if they want, but I would more concerned about the lower level workers and the 104s of film history that would be thrown out another company was to absorb much of it.

It is sad that namesake, legendary film producer William Fox, the man that really saved Hollywood from the Edison Trust, had his own downfall because of an attempted merger. Had he gotten control of MGM, it is estimated his control of the market share would been around 40%, around the same that Disney is going to have. Fox as we know died on 3/19/2019. This is 104 years, 1 month, and 18-19 days (2/1/1915) after the Fox Film Corp was officially incorporated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2019, 06:12 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
You sound like a broken record.
Why would the big dogs that fund politicians want less government?
How do you propose to attack them?

Oh no, we cannot attack the ones buying off the politicians, they are not the problem, the politicians are"

So how come we go after the monetary sources backing terrorism instead of just ignoring them and go after the terrorists?

The ones funding the terrorists are not to blame, the terrorists are.
Yes, let’s say to hell with the first amendment. You are quite the wannabe tyrant.

Just be honest and admit you want more government.

Old 03-23-2019, 06:26 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,960,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Yes, let’s say to hell with the first amendment. You are quite the wannabe tyrant.

Just be honest and admit you want more government.
The deep pockets want more government with a big police state to police the mal contents that do not suck up to them like you.
Me, the free market capitalist way is to form an association around like minded people so the types you defend do not infest our movement, that is, until your friends crack down on our freedom of speech if we are not paying them off.

Old 03-23-2019, 06:30 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
If Elizabeth Warren gets elected president, watch the value of your 401K funds plummet.

Old 03-23-2019, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
If Elizabeth Warren gets elected president, watch the value of your 401K funds plummet.
Why, because the government will quit QE and other artificial propping up of the stock market gimmicks?
I don't care for Warren, but I do not want the government propping up the stock market either because they are beholden to corporations and banks.

We need to make it perfectly clear that supporting losers should not be allowed.
If you put your money in the stock market, you need to accept risk and loss as a consequence.
Otherwise, we need to bail everyone out which is ludicrous.

Old 03-23-2019, 06:43 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Lol

On a few other boards I frequent, there were many that defended using illegal labor because that is American "Capitalism" in action, "Learn to Play the Game" if you want to be rich.

I asked, you mean exploiting people as well?
The response was of course. "That is the way the world works, the Lion eats the Wildebeest, and the strongest survive."
Well, under capitalism there is no such thing as "illegal labor" so that ends this paradigm right there.

Old 03-23-2019, 06:45 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
All I know is that mine haven't gone anywhere in 14 months of the "greatest miracle economy in the history of the world"....so I'd take a chance with Liz.

Remember, in the world we live now....Bad is Good, Down is Up, etc.

Old 03-23-2019, 06:49 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:

We need to make it perfectly clear that supporting losers should not be allowed.
If you put your money in the stock market, you need to accept risk and loss as a consequence.
Otherwise, we need to bail everyone out which is ludicrous.
When the POTUS is a lifetime loser (no ROI, others took his losses, etc.) what do you expect?

As you see, Trump has stopped allowing interest rates to be "market" and he gave away so much money from our children and grandkids that we had the largest monthly deficit in history.

The entire current economic policy is about supporting losers...because, without those losers the economy would cease to function.

Folks like myself who saved and worked hard, etc. - we are thrown under the bus (can't get market returns) just so debtor can pile up more debt.

I'm with you but that is simply not the way the King of Debt or his subjects work.

Old 03-23-2019, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Well, under capitalism there is no such thing as "illegal labor" so that ends this paradigm right there.
Well, under Capitalism, there is no such thing as forced labor either so that rules out China.

About 500 million in Communist China were forced to relocate to the cities and had their historic farmlands bull dozed. They were not given a choice, about the relocation. They were told, you need to do it for the motherland and relocate. You may say, that is none of our business, but if you make deals with people not practicing free market capitalism, their market becomes your market. The chain has been broken and it is no longer free market capitalism. It is slavery and communism.

The business class reaped the benefits of Communism on the worker side and reaped the benefits of capitalism on the profit side.

Most of our trading partners deal in labor under force which fly's against free market capitalism.

Under Capitalism, everyone is allowed a voice to accept or refuse the offer made.

Everyone under Capitalism is allowed to organize under freedom of speech for whatever they want, and so can the business class. But the business class has said workers organizing is evil, only we can do that and off they went to own Washington DC and here we are.

They got in bed with their worst regimes on earth only because there were profits to be made.
I look to Saudi Arabia and China as numero UNO.

Old 03-24-2019, 06:38 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,925,181 times
Quote:
Lol

On a few other boards I frequent, there were many that defended using illegal labor because that is American "Capitalism" in action, "Learn to Play the Game" if you want to be rich.

I asked, you mean exploiting people as well?
The response was of course. "That is the way the world works, the Lion eats the Wildebeest, and the strongest survive."
At first, when I read the title of your thread, I thought for sure you'd be discussing Milton Friedman's 1970 New York Times Magazine article or his book Capitalism & Freedom? From both sources:

Quote:
There is one and only one social responsibility of business — to use its resources and engage in activities designed to increase its profits so long as it stays within the rules of the game, which is to say, engages in open and free competition without deception or fraud.
Likely one of the most obvious problems with Mr. Friedman's "rules of the game” theorizing, is that he assumes the 'rules' are being set by impartial referees.

It seems to me that you are pointing out some of problems with this simplistic style of thinking here?

Agreeing industry lobbyists & their legislative (often libertarian minded) lapdogs are big 'players' in this gaming. The economic rent-seeking behaviors ensure that the 'rules' (i.e. laws, regulations) will favor the biggest spenders. Then when things go FUBAR these same 'rules' can be set aside to, again, favor the biggest players. The most recent global financial imbroglio is a prime example. Those 'too big to fail' entities were bailed out while they continued to foreclose on the people. Too bad the people don't have lobbyists to advocate for them. Unfortunately nothing has changed, the 'big' has just gotten bigger, & they still won't be allowed to fail next time, & there will be a next time. With Steven Mnuchin (formerly known as 'The Foreclosure King) as Treasury Secretary, it would be a mistake to think the people won't get screwed again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies