Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 07:45 AM

4,445 posts, read 1,449,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
^this mindset is unconscionable
Quote:
That's not true, a lot of us (myself included) have insurance, but it has high copays and deductibles, so you still have to pay big $$$ at point of use, which almost defeats the purpose of paying for insurance
LOL. You must have an Obamacare plan. How's that affordability working out for you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2019, 07:51 AM

89,000 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post
Quote:
That's not true, a lot of us (myself included) have insurance, but it has high copays and deductibles, so you still have to pay big $$$ at point of use, which almost defeats the purpose of paying for insurance
LOL. You must have an Obamacare plan. How's that affordability working out for you?
Excellent point!

Old 03-24-2019, 07:58 AM

89,000 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyweight View Post
A third of GoFundMe requests are for Medical Bills: Charitable site reveals need for universal healthcare
I'm good with funding health care via voluntary donations. It lets those who constantly push the need for some to pay for others to put their money where their mouths are.

Old 03-24-2019, 10:22 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,596,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
we should, everybody should pay for their own.....
That's not single payer and you know it

Old 03-24-2019, 10:23 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,939,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Have you ever thought that if you got the damn government out of it, get rid of all of those regulations, and have an actual free market, that the prices would plummet?

No, because it's not that the left wants "cheap" healthcare for all, they want free for them at the added ridiculously high expense to taxpayers.
Healthcare is free market now in the US and its a absolute disaster. We need to adopt a universal system.

Old 03-24-2019, 12:12 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Have you ever thought that if you got the damn government out of it, get rid of all of those regulations, and have an actual free market, that the prices would plummet?

No, because it's not that the left wants "cheap" healthcare for all, they want free for them at the added ridiculously high expense to taxpayers.
Poor people still couldn't afford to see a doctor if a doctor's visit declined to $50.

Old 03-24-2019, 12:20 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,224,058 times
True health insurance would be great. But we don't have that. What insurance has become is a pre-paid medical plan and since medical providers know there is plenty of sunk cost in the kitty, which YOU have contributed, they are going to milk every cent of that, and then take actions to ensure that you pony up even more. They will extract whatever they can get.

So the solution is to put NOTHING in the kitty. No guaranteed source of funds....THEN the providers will lower their prices to compete for scarce healthcare dollars. That doesn't happen today because they have a captive audience that has already walked in and said, " I have X to spend"...well guess what the minimum fee is gonna be??

Can all you bright folks figure that out?

Good for YOU!

Now, act like the bright folks you are and STOP being stupid!

Old 03-24-2019, 12:23 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
we should, everybody should pay for their own.....
And if the poor can pay for their medical needs, then they must learn to accept being sick as a daily way of life?

Old 03-24-2019, 12:32 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,436,084 times
For those saying pay for your own...

How much money did you make when you were 23? How much did you have in savings?

6 months of cancer treatment cost $500,000. Even if it was theoretically reduced because of the "free market" (unlikely, as I had a rare cancer), 1/5 of that cost would have still been close to triple my fresh-out-of-college salary. And that was just initial treatment, not any of the follow up care or treatment for side effects from treatment.

The "free market" has seen insulin dramatically increase over the past 5 to 10 years. How many of you could have afforded $1000 a month JUST for insulin if you were a type I diabetic in your 20s?

Old 03-24-2019, 12:39 PM

5,993 posts, read 3,732,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
For those saying pay for your own...

How much money did you make when you were 23? How much did you have in savings?

6 months of cancer treatment cost $500,000. Even if it was theoretically reduced because of the "free market" (unlikely, as I had a rare cancer), 1/5 of that cost would have still been close to triple my fresh-out-of-college salary. And that was just initial treatment, not any of the follow up care or treatment for side effects from treatment.

The "free market" has seen insulin dramatically increase over the past 5 to 10 years. How many of you could have afforded $1000 a month JUST for insulin if you were a type I diabetic in your 20s?

They're too blinded by right wing propaganda to see your point. They're gone. We don't need them to get single payer in this country. The support for it is growing exponentially.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies