Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 12:39 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,929,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
For those saying pay for your own...
They are literal social darwinists its disgusting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2019, 12:44 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,929,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
They're too blinded by right wing propaganda to see your point. They're gone. We don't need them to get single payer in this country. The support for it is growing exponentially.
Yea fundamentally there ideology works when everyone is doing ok however when healthcare is blatantly broken in this country and people are getting poorer right wing ideas of elitism will fall by the wayside.

Old 03-24-2019, 01:07 PM

88,801 posts, read 44,610,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
They are literal social darwinists its disgusting.
I disagree. As I stated in my post... I'm good with funding health care via voluntary donations. It lets those who constantly push the need for some to pay for others to put their money where their mouths are. That relies on all the supposed altruism being expressed on the issue. Nothing social darwinist about it.

Old 03-24-2019, 01:09 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,948,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Have you ever thought that if you got the damn government out of it, get rid of all of those regulations, and have an actual free market, that the prices would plummet?

No, because it's not that the left wants "cheap" healthcare for all, they want free for them at the added ridiculously high expense to taxpayers.
The Lobbyists for the industries do not want government out of it though.
They want to use the government to keep prices artificially high so they can make bank.
Do you seriously believe the industry is for free market capitalism that would lower their prices and profits?

What we are seeing is them using the government to prop prices up.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/power...d13_story.html

Lobbyists boldly take credit for writing a bill to protect their industry

Quote:
It isn’t unusual for industry stakeholders to draft legislation. But in this case, lobbyists were able to rapidly shepherd their bill to House passage with minimal input from the public or even members of Congress. Lobbyists then crowed about the achievement, boasting that the House-passed measure was nearly identical to one they provided to the House Judiciary Committee and that Rep. Steve King (R-Iowa) introduced on Feb. 24.
The Healthcare system for the Florida Prisons system went private 5 years ago in order to save money, and instead costs are worse than before because so many are on the take.

https://www.wmfe.org/health-care-cos...-prisons/89701

Quote:
The privatization of Florida’s prison health care system was supposed to save taxpayers millions.

But the cost to deliver care to the state’s 96,000 prisoners has instead increased over the past five years, including by $46 million this year alone.

As a candidate Gov. Rick Scott pitched the idea of having private companies provide health care to the state’s prisoners in a plan to save taxpayers $1 billion over seven years. But in the first five years of privatization, the cost has climbed from $278 million to $375 million.

Privatization isn’t the only cause for the steady increases but critics say the system is padding the pockets of some politicians and enriching the company that provides the care.

“It’s been atrocious,” said Randall Berg, an attorney for the Florida Justice Institute, which represents prisoners who believe they were wronged by the health care system. “I mean it’s a terrible business model. And it just doesn’t seem to be working.”

Old 03-24-2019, 01:14 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,530,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I disagree. As I stated in my post... I'm good with funding health care via voluntary donations. It lets those who constantly push the need for some to pay for others to put their money where their mouths are. That relies on all the supposed altruism being expressed on the issue. Nothing social darwinist about it.
Except that creates a prisoners dilemma

Old 03-24-2019, 01:24 PM

15,837 posts, read 21,372,529 times
Quote:
I do put my money where my mouth is - as well as my time.

This week, I spent hours going over the financial records and funding requests from dozens of young adult cancer survivors. Tomorrow, I'll have a phone call where we will deny most everyone their requests (capped at $2500) because the demand is much greater than the support available.

If you don't have a "sexy" cause or wealthy friends, you're screwed. It's as simple as that. Many of our applicants attempted GoFundMe's and most got $5000 - $10,000. So that's a week of medication with no insurance, and maybe 3 months with insurance. Then what?

Charity is not an effective way of managing healthcare needs. To say as much shows just how little engagement you yourself have with charity.

Old 03-24-2019, 01:58 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,434,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Single payer doesn't work. Canada's and the UK's healthcare s*cks. Extremely long wait times in the ERs and most of the healthcare is dispensed in clinics. The quality of medical care in the US is much higher.

GoFundMe is perfect for these medical bill funding requests. The general public should not be forced to pay the medical bills for those who live in an unhealthy manner (overeating, cigarette smoking, alcoholism)... but if YOU feel sorry for them, then YOU donate to their GoFundMe page. I also don't want my insurance premiums covering some mentally ill person's desire for a sex change operation. And there is a lot of really expensive experimental treatments that I don't believe should be covered by insurance. So for all of that, turn to GoFundMe pages and other methods of fundraising.
Lying becomes you. The stats say otherwise.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/22/medi...n-america.html

https://www.newsweek.com/united-stat...d-worst-637114

https://www.amjmed.com/article/S0002...620-X/fulltext

https://annals.org/aim/fullarticle/2...surance-deadly

Old 03-24-2019, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Except that creates a prisoners dilemma
No, it doesn't. It lets people proclaiming their supposed altruism to put their own money where their mouths are.

Old 03-24-2019, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I do put my money where my mouth is - as well as my time.

This week, I spent hours going over the financial records and funding requests from dozens of young adult cancer survivors. Tomorrow, I'll have a phone call where we will deny most everyone their requests (capped at $2500) because the demand is much greater than the support available.

If you don't have a "sexy" cause or wealthy friends, you're screwed. It's as simple as that. Many of our applicants attempted GoFundMe's and most got $5000 - $10,000. So that's a week of medication with no insurance, and maybe 3 months with insurance. Then what?

Charity is not an effective way of managing healthcare needs. To say as much shows just how little engagement you yourself have with charity.
There should be no problem, then. Voluntarily fund others' health care.

Old 03-24-2019, 02:27 PM

15,837 posts, read 21,372,529 times
Quote:
There should be no problem, then. Voluntarily fund others' health care.
How much do you think breast cancer treatment costs? With and without insurance?

How much do you think a stem cell transplant costs? With and without insurance?

How much do you think a broken leg costs? With and without insurance?

How much do you think childbirth costs? With and without insurance?

How much do you think a kidney transplant cost? With and without insurance?

How much do you think mental health intervention costs? With and without insurance?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies