Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 04:03 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times

Advertisements

That those in London are protesting is not surprising as the majority of London voters voted to remain.

No wonder they are marching as they watch financial institutions move their European operations out of the UK, watch the jobs and the money disappear unlikely ever to return, watch their government flounder about, unable to deal with any number of national matters including Brexit, ...

Brexit was sold on lies and magical predictions.

Now the chickens are coming home to roost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2019, 04:27 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,511,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
That those in London are protesting is not surprising as the majority of London voters voted to remain.

No wonder they are marching as they watch financial institutions move their European operations out of the UK, watch the jobs and the money disappear unlikely ever to return, watch their government flounder about, unable to deal with any number of national matters including Brexit, ...

Brexit was sold on lies and magical predictions.

Now the chickens are coming home to roost.
You're deluded.

Old 03-24-2019, 05:06 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,180 posts, read 13,461,836 times
You are always going to get mass demonstrations in London, there are over 400,000 University Students in London, and the trade unions would all be out marching, as would lots of other people who travelled to London because they have nothing better to do.

Marches generally show how week you are, that you have to take to the streets.

In terms of previous marches over the years, 1 milllion marched against Trump visiting, I million marched against the Iraq War, 1 million marched for nuclear disarmament, apart from giving the same people from the left a day out, none of these marches effected public opinion.

Last edited by Brave New World; 03-24-2019 at 05:32 AM..

Old 03-24-2019, 05:09 AM

24,632 posts, read 9,458,962 times
1 million, wow, that's a sweet losers march.

Isn't that like 16 million people short of the votes it took to initiate Brexit?

Old 03-24-2019, 05:16 AM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 2 days ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,599,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
Well 17.4 million people voted in favor of brexit. So get back to me when there are 18 million "brits in the streets".
Sighs, get back to me when over 150 million Americans march in the streets when they express support for the NRA and/or demonstrate against the Affordable Health Care Act (Obamacare).

Old 03-24-2019, 05:42 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,511,211 times
Lots of reports on social media urging these demonstrations to be held weekly because shoppers in popular upmarket supermarket chains such as Waitrose were able to buy their sun-dried tomatoes and Prosecco much more easily.
Car parks were empty of BMWs and Mercs as well.

Old 03-24-2019, 06:06 AM

57,294 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
We don’t have referendums and Brexit was initiated due to a referendum which is about as close to direct democracy as you can get.

The real problem here is in order to have good trade policies you have to accept poor immigration policies.
A good example of why some referendums are a terrible idea unless they have a plan in place to address the outcome. They should have understood the immigration policies would change going into the EU, I doubt they would vote to Brexit short of that issue.

Old 03-24-2019, 06:12 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,180 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Lots of reports on social media urging these demonstrations to be held weekly because shoppers in popular upmarket supermarket chains such as Waitrose were able to buy their sun-dried tomatoes and Prosecco much more easily.
Car parks were empty of BMWs and Mercs as well.
It's looking increasingy like the European Research Group (and possible DUP) will be willing to vote for May's leave deal providing she stands down and lets someone else take over as PM, and in order that she doesn't conduct the negotiations in relation to the future trade deal and future EU relations.

May is determined that Boris Johnson will not take over from her, although I suspect whoever takes over the helm will be a Brexiteer.

This is probably the best outcome, as the whole thing is starting to take it's toll on May's physical health, indeed last time I saw her she didn't look well, and she has to contend with Type 1 diabetes on top of all of this.

Getting May's deal through will depend on the ERG and DUP however if there are assurances put in place and the next stage will be conducted by a Brexiteer PM then May's deal just might get through.

May is currently at Chequers and I should imagine representatives from the ERG, DUP and 1922 committee will be holding tals with her.

Brexit: Theresa May urged to quit to help deal pass - BBC News

Old 03-24-2019, 06:23 AM

20,109 posts, read 9,018,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
Sighs, get back to me when over 150 million Americans march in the streets when they express support for the NRA and/or demonstrate against the Affordable Health Care Act (Obamacare).
no reason to demonstrate against Obamacare, Trump made it optional -- that free will thingy

Old 03-24-2019, 07:24 AM

57,294 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
It's looking increasingy like the European Research Group (and possible DUP) will be willing to vote for May's leave deal providing she stands down and lets someone else take over as PM, and in order that she doesn't conduct the negotiations in relation to the future trade deal and future EU relations.

May is determined that Boris Johnson will not take over from her, although I suspect whoever takes over the helm will be a Brexiteer.

This is probably the best outcome, as the whole thing is starting to take it's toll on May's physical health, indeed last time I saw her she didn't look well, and she has to contend with Type 1 diabetes on top of all of this.

Getting May's deal through will depend on the ERG and DUP however if there are assurances put in place and the next stage will be conducted by a Brexiteer PM then May's deal just might get through.

May is currently at Chequers and I should imagine representatives from the ERG, DUP and 1922 committee will be holding tals with her.

Brexit: Theresa May urged to quit to help deal pass - BBC News

Boris Johnson as PM I guess things can always get worse, I'm surprised that anyone would even want the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies