Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 08:12 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times

Advertisements

Not Trump base but many folks here miss the obvious.

The economy in the last two years has been growing about the same as it had for almost the same pace as the 7 years before Trump. Job growth, gdp....nothing substantial. Some good quarters and some not so good quarters....similar to before Trump.

But I would say the positive job growth that is going on now for 8 years now. (95 months) --- had to eventually impact wage growth, and everyone's economic health.

For some of us -- we didn't have to wait for Trump . My economic situation started showing improvement early. But we didn't get his so hard by the recession. We weren't house poor, my husband had a steady job....we live fiscally conservative so while our 401K took a hit....we used cash on hand to buy low and make some money at that time.My two older boys graduated before Trump & got amazing jobs.

In the last two years - little has changed for my husband and I. Sure the 401K is doing well but that can change any day now...there are no guarantees.

We got a bit of extra money each paycheck last year but I have yet to complete the taxes to see the true impact and measure whether we got that big of a deal. The extra wasn't significant to change our spending habits. We weren't living that close to paycheck to paycheck.

Trump has brought economic uncertainty -- we still don't know what is going to happen with trade negotiations. The new NAFTA hasn't been implemented so we don't know if it will work -- the old NAFTA seems to be working fine according to all of you given how you credit Trump for such a great economy. How could we it be so good, if it so bad --lol?

So those of you who think miraculously in 24 months Trump turned around the economy -- all I have to say is -- It doesn't work that way -- it just doesn't....lol. And it is sad that folks are so naive about the economy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2019, 08:16 AM

30,369 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMES67 View Post
Curious what affect Trumps election has had in your lives if any. A job? tax cut? etc. etc.

Share your political rags to riches of any noteworthy changes in your life and family.

As a youth I was a strong conservative, but evolved more middle of road as the years went by due to living in california and working in a diverse environment.

The biggest change I've experienced so far is paying more taxes this year as a result in Trumps change in the RE tax / state tax deduction, capped at $10,000.

Share your stories! Democrats or any other parties share your stories too if you wish.
I'm happy every day since the day Trump was elected.

I'm happy folks that have not paid their fair share as many rich New Yorkers, Connecticut, Jersey and Californians are now being required to pay their fair share of taxes instead of taking gigantic deductions every year and shifting the burden to the rest of us.

Old 03-24-2019, 08:20 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Trump's base has gained many things. One for example, is a feeling of freedom to express their racial, ethnic and religious bigotry.
This 100%

If you aren’t white, straight, and the right kind of Christian (born again) you are the absolute scum of the earth in Trump’s America.

Old 03-24-2019, 08:23 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,582,090 times
The best thing about the past two years is NOT that Trump is President, it's that Hillary ISN'T.

All the other good things that have happened are just icing on the cake

Old 03-24-2019, 08:24 AM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
I own firearms. I can feel safe for the next few years there won't be another "ban" of most of what I own especially with a red SCOTUS. I paid less tax and there is finally someone trying to do something about the 11-40 million illegals in our Country.

Old 03-24-2019, 08:28 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,351,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
This 100%

If you aren’t white, straight, and the right kind of Christian (born again) you are the absolute scum of the earth in Trump’s America.
Ummmm....Many of my immediate and extended Trump supporting family are atheist/agnostic or at least self described cynics, skeptics, or just "unchurched". Myself, let's just call me a "Lapsed Lutheran".

And I forgot to agree that not having to hear Hillary's screeching and cackling is a definite plus.

Old 03-24-2019, 08:29 AM

9,456 posts, read 5,216,910 times
My life has not significantly changed for day to day stuff but since the election, I do find my distaste for liberal idealogues has grown by leaps and bounds. I'll use the remark above as an example. ^^^^ Although there may definitely be racially, ethnically, and religiously bigoted people who are part of Trump's base, I am not one of them. Of course, I am not sure I would consider myself 'one of his base.' As with all other presidents in my lifetime, I have tried to give him the benefit of the doubt, that he is doing what he believes are the right things for the country. I try to overlook the annoying personal habits, as I actually do with all people, not just presidents, and not get too attached to the daily drama. He will either be gone in 2 years, or 6, LIKE EVERYONE ELSE, and it will be on to the next thing. THAT is where the change comes in for me. I am afraid of what our country is becoming. Nasty, partisan, hyper-political, polarized. yada yada yada.

Old 03-24-2019, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
The best thing about the past two years is NOT that Trump is President, it's that Hillary ISN'T.

All the other good things that have happened are just icing on the cake
At least you are honest.

Truthfully -- it is the 'feeling' that things are better for many.

Had a good friend that was a die hard Republican who felt unhappy when there was a Democrat President. When things went wrong it was all part of their negative feelings. At the time I wasn't really feeling anything -- not yet a citizen --so I thought it was funny how anything good was in spite of the Democrat and everything bad was because of them..

I don't feel like my life is BAD because of Trump. I would prefer someone who is more competent.

But -- and I will get slammed for this --- part of me finds this all very entertaining...we will never have a President in our life time like this who says some of the most ridiculous and easily spoofed things.

He is a character.

Think about it -- we get a regular human being in the White House, that does their job, addresses issues like an adult, doesn't engage in Twitter wars with celebrities, TV shows, etc.....we are all going to be bored to tears.

Old 03-24-2019, 08:35 AM

10,531 posts, read 6,165,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I'm happy every day since the day Trump was elected.

I'm happy folks that have not paid their fair share as many rich New Yorkers, Connecticut, Jersey and Californians are now being required to pay their fair share of taxes instead of taking gigantic deductions every year and shifting the burden to the rest of us.

But you didn't answer the question - materially how has your life changed?
I realise you are 'happy'. All Trump voters are apparently 'happy'. But how has your life actually changed?

I notice a few other staunch C-D Trump supporters haven't been along and answered the question either.
Curious since they spend 24/7 on C-D so they cannot have missed the thread.

My life hasn't materially changed at all.

Old 03-24-2019, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I own firearms. I can feel safe for the next few years there won't be another "ban" of most of what I own especially with a red SCOTUS. I paid less tax and there is finally someone trying to do something about the 11-40 million illegals in our Country.
When was the last time you experienced a ban -- not FELT like you were scared of a ban (because feelings are not facts).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies