Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 02:20 PM

11,785 posts, read 5,795,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis44102 View Post
my father was at pearl harbor during the attack..years later he was diagnosed with PTSD..i remember nightmares and screaming...it is NOT a weakness
Please read my post - I said besides those in the military - I have never come across someone with PTSD - all of a sudden everyone has PTSD - because they've been shamed, went through a medical condition or witnessed a killing besides numerous other situations.

I'm sick of people not reading posts and jumping all over people because of that. No one is attacking your father or the fact that PTSD exists - just that it "suddenly" occurs quite often in many situations that thousands of us deal with every day of our life - ex. being shamed or excluded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2019, 02:21 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,335,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Two in one week. If we can't get serious about gun violence, can we at least get serious about mental health...?

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/loc...228350134.html
And the right first step here would be to privatize all of what now passes for "education".

Old 03-24-2019, 02:21 PM

7,930 posts, read 9,154,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
And there's a law Florida legislature passed prohibiting 18-20 year olds from purchasing firearms...

790.065 section 13 states.
(13) A person younger than 21 years of age may not purchase a firearm. The sale or transfer of a firearm to a person younger than 21 years of age may not be made or facilitated by a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, or licensed dealer. A person who violates this subsection commits a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084. The prohibitions of this subsection do not apply to the purchase of a rifle or shotgun by a law enforcement officer or correctional officer, as those terms are defined in s. 943.10(1), (2), (3), (6), (7), (8), or (9), or a servicemember as defined in s. 250.01.

So if they're under 21... they didn't buy the firearm...
Still weird that they used the one thing they tried to prevent others from getting access to, a gun. Did they steal it from family or buy it illegally? Guess we will find out eventually.

Old 03-24-2019, 02:32 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
I'd like to know why it is in the suicide rate is more in the wealthier, educated countries than it is in the poorer, uneducated countries? We never had grievance counselors come in to schools when a tragic vent occurred to classmates. I know no one who has suffered PTSD outside of the military - and that's only one person out of the hundred I personally know who have served.

Has society become weak - unable to cope with bad things that may happen - is it the lack of religion in people's lives - is it the amt of prescriptions and branding of kids at a early age - that somehow change their psych when they grow up?
How many people did you know who lived through a mass shooting?

The military - something where adults make a choice to join - does not have a monopoly on PTSD. And it makes sense that a small percentage of people you know who served would have PTSD. 1. You don't seem like someone people would tend to trust to tell about their mental health struggles. 2. There is a level of resilience to someone who makes that choice.

A 15 or 16 year old who walked over the bullet ridden corpses of their friends in their school hallway were neither adults, nor did they make a choice to face such an issue. I didn't make the choice to have cancer at 23 and watch most of my friends die before they were 25.

I suspect a lot of people experienced PTSD but didn't have a name for it. Family members who lived with abuse as kids in the 50s and 60s absolutely show signs of PTSD even if they didn't have that name attached.

Old 03-24-2019, 02:37 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Mental health is the issue here.

And Lil’ Davy Hogg is still dancing on the graves of the dead.
That's a mighty cruel thing to say. If your kid was caught in the middle of a school massacre, would he be dancing on his friend's graves?

Shame on you.

Old 03-24-2019, 02:52 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,523,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Oh the drama. Ya that works, paint all gun owners as the next mass shooter.
That's an idiotic misrepresentation of what I said. If I am saying that your sude should not paint all of us with mental illness as the next mass shooter, then I can't logically turn around and say all gun owners are the next mass shooter either. The vast majority of gun owners never shoot anyone, the same as those with mental ilness. Too many people on all sides of the issue seem to want to find one easy answer to solve this problem and that answer always seems to be the other side's fault. The issue needs serious work all the way around.

Old 03-24-2019, 03:06 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,896,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post

The military - something where adults make a choice to join - does not have a monopoly on PTSD. And it makes sense that a small percentage of people you know who served would have PTSD. 1. You don't seem like someone people would tend to trust to tell about their mental health struggles. 2. There is a level of resilience to someone who makes that choice.

A 15 or 16 year old who walked over the bullet ridden corpses of their friends in their school hallway were neither adults, nor did they make a choice to face such an issue. I didn't make the choice to have cancer at 23 and watch most of my friends die before they were 25.

I suspect a lot of people experienced PTSD but didn't have a name for it. Family members who lived with abuse as kids in the 50s and 60s absolutely show signs of PTSD even if they didn't have that name attached.
Thank you! As a vet I made the choice to serve, and was prepared for whatever happened. The difference is I MADE that choice if anything people in the military when seeing someone close to them die should be the least effected we're expecting it, and train for it everyday. For a suburban teenager just going to school to witness such a traffic event must be much harder to deal with. When you look at our urban areas of high crime I feel like PTSD is the missing link to the problem we have so many traumatized individuals in this country that really really need help. Of course people like that poster and their attitude will continue to hold out society back.

Old 03-24-2019, 03:14 PM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
there are NOT numerous and AFFORDABLE resources out there and that is the problem plus insurance coverage is now more limited
Most people that have reached a certain age have had experience with family or at least friends or extended family and their kin having issues with mental illness, addiction etc.

This has been an ongoing issue in this country. Despite these treatments, some (frankly many) have gone on to take their own lives, commit horrible crimes or a variety of other bad actions.

The point here being that even treatment isn't going to remove the potential threat from the group at large.

I mean honestly, that's what we are discussing in any thread like this "the group at large" (aka gun owners)

So, if we're going to suggest large scale restrictions on gun ownership across all owners, then sad to say it, we are going to need much tougher legal controls on a host of others. Just look at people that get a DUI and have to blow in a detector to start their car....or felons with a parole officer.

Even with tighter gun controls, the mentally ill are still able to damage flood levies (happened in illinois), start fires (california), stab people, ram cars into people and a host of other offenses.

I'm extremely interested in this topic because gun violence is not a single source problem towards all American mass violence. If we're going to tackle that then we need to tackle the rest as well.

We already have one poster commenting that they don't want to be lumped in with all people with mental illness but at the same time you have people like my father as a gun owner for 60 years with barely a speeding ticket being lumped in with any general gun killer.

There are just so many ways to create mayhem, treating the symptom is a moving target imo.

Old 03-24-2019, 03:24 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,809,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
That's an idiotic misrepresentation of what I said. If I am saying that your sude should not paint all of us with mental illness as the next mass shooter, then I can't logically turn around and say all gun owners are the next mass shooter either. The vast majority of gun owners never shoot anyone, the same as those with mental ilness. Too many people on all sides of the issue seem to want to find one easy answer to solve this problem and that answer always seems to be the other side's fault. The issue needs serious work all the way around.
I agree with you on the false premise that people assume these shooters are mentally ill. It is hard for most people to imagine or understand that an otherwise "normal" person would commit such horrific crimes on others. But the fact is that evil people exist and will do harm to others. I have seen my share of this and know it to be true.

Old 03-24-2019, 03:25 PM

11,785 posts, read 5,795,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post

And how many of those living in war torn countries and face these exact same situations on a daily basis? Learn to deal with things. Americans are too soft and we've raised these past 2 generations to think everything is rainbows and unicorns.

To have PTSD because you were sick or were fat shamed says you have a weak constitution in the first place. My cousin is facing a bone marrow transplant now due to cancer - she's not feeling sorry for herself. It's a tough situation that any of us may face - but you deal with it. Maybe you need some counseling but people shouldn't be claiming PTSD for these issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies