Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 04:49 PM

24,621 posts, read 9,449,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Two in one week. If we can't get serious about gun violence, can we at least get serious about mental health...?

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/loc...228350134.html
It's 2019, anyone is free to check themselves into a mental health facility

If they don't think they need help, then you can't force them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2019, 04:52 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Two in one week. If we can't get serious about gun violence, can we at least get serious about mental health...?

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/loc...228350134.html
JC! This is horrible. They need to get that plan for counselors going, asap.

Old 03-24-2019, 04:53 PM

50,264 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Oh the drama. Ya that works, paint all gun owners as the next mass shooter.

We can look at turning schools into something harder to get onto like we did here in SD. That and getting armed people with the ballz enough to actually shoot back at an active shooter.

There are more solutions than ban ban ban. If someone keeps breaking into your shed you don't try and get the cops to force ACE hardware to quit selling bolt cutters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
That's an idiotic misrepresentation of what I said. If I am saying that your sude should not paint all of us with mental illness as the next mass shooter, then I can't logically turn around and say all gun owners are the next mass shooter either. The vast majority of gun owners never shoot anyone, the same as those with mental ilness. Too many people on all sides of the issue seem to want to find one easy answer to solve this problem and that answer always seems to be the other side's fault. The issue needs serious work all the way around.

Gun rights people eager to have people keep dying. That's what you said, own it.

Old 03-24-2019, 07:30 PM

16,035 posts, read 6,840,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
I'd like to know why it is in the suicide rate is more in the wealthier, educated countries than it is in the poorer, uneducated countries? We never had grievance counselors come in to schools when a tragic vent occurred to classmates. I know no one who has suffered PTSD outside of the military - and that's only one person out of the hundred I personally know who have served.

Has society become weak - unable to cope with bad things that may happen - is it the lack of religion in people's lives - is it the amt of prescriptions and branding of kids at a early age - that somehow change their psych when they grow up?

Well done!
I think you kind of nailed some of the reasons.
Unwillingness to work thru struggles.
Lack of family spirituality.
The drugging instead of rearing children.

Old 03-24-2019, 07:39 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,519,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I guess we need legislation targeting all people with a mental diagnosis for some sort of group home.
You're clearly not paying attention. I keep asking why politicians are not making it harder for the mentally ill to legally acquire guns. So let's start with that. If you folks keep saying that it's a mental illness problem, then should the criteria for the mentally ill at the very least be harder for them to (us) to get a gun?

Old 03-24-2019, 07:47 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
Quote:
PTSD and survivor's guilt are real things as are depression and anxiety.

Snarky comment -- I guess they ran out of thoughts and prayers.

There has to be some gun control measures to stop this. The gun rights people need to wake up and smell the 21st century. And you can't just say it's a "mental health issue" and leave it at that. And before you start typing, gun control includes stopping the folks who are getting guns they legally should not be getting. It can't be all gun control or all mental health. It doesn't have to be mass gun confiscation.
So.... you are saying that stricter gun control laws would have prevented these two suicides? That because we didn't overreact and take guns away from all law abiding citizens, they felt their lives weren't valued?

Teens commit suicide all of the time, regardless of being a survivor of a mass shooting. They are subject to bullying by their fellow students, their parents put a lot of pressure on them to get into top schools and win scholarship money, their love lives s*ck, they have poor self-image, and maybe they missed the public's attention that they got right after the shooting at their school.

Stricter gun controls is not the answer.

Old 03-24-2019, 07:53 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,171,874 times
Young people need to know that that we are endeavoring to protect them. It is our responsibility as adults to show them that we value their lives. I fear that the more school shootings occur without clear measures taken, the more suicides we will see as a result.

Old 03-24-2019, 07:55 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,519,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
So.... you are saying that stricter gun control laws would have prevented these two suicides?
That;s actually not what I said. There is no way to know. I don't know how either of them got the guns they used in the first place. Do you? We can sit here in the safety of our homes and speculate. Hell, we could even doa Google search! But let's say at some point in the future, there is a law enacted making it harder for there to be a gun in the same home as a mentally ill person. So somone secures their gun elsewhere because of that law. That law will very likely save lives we never know about. The two young kids who have killed themselves this past week as well as the dead from their school are gone. I'm sorry about that. Let's try to save people in the future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Teens commit suicide all of the time, regardless of being a survivor of a mass shooting. They are subject to bullying by their fellow students, their parents put a lot of pressure on them to get into top schools and win scholarship money, their love lives s*ck, they have poor self-image, and maybe they missed the public's attention that they got right after the shooting at their school.

Stricter gun controls is not the answer.
I actually agree with you, in part. Stricter gun laws are just part of the answer. Responsible gun owners should want better laws to keep those who do not need them away from them.

Old 03-24-2019, 08:03 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Gun rights people eager to have people keep dying. That's what you said, own it.
As long as there are bullies in school, and other pressures, students will off themselves or lash out at others. And as proved by the Parkland shooting, having a SRO can't prevent a mass attack from happening. If not with guns, a knife or machete will do. Even with metal detectors, every school cafeteria has kitchen knives. Or like in prisons, one could make a plastic shiv to bring to school and have a stabbing spree.

And making a Molotov cocktail or pipe bomb, or throwing acid like they do in India... all horrible means of attacking a group of students.

Guns are not the only means of suicide or mass murder.

Old 03-24-2019, 08:34 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,496,023 times
Quote:
That;s actually not what I said. There is no way to know. I don't know how either of them got the guns they used in the first place. Do you? We can sit here in the safety of our homes and speculate. Hell, we could even doa Google search! But let's say at some point in the future, there is a law enacted making it harder for there to be a gun in the same home as a mentally ill person. So somone secures their gun elsewhere because of that law. That law will very likely save lives we never know about. The two young kids who have killed themselves this past week as well as the dead from their school are gone. I'm sorry about that. Let's try to save people in the future.

I actually agree with you, in part. Stricter gun laws are just part of the answer. Responsible gun owners should want better laws to keep those who do not need them away from them.
Nah...
Enforcement of what laws were put in place...

Such a law exists. In Florida too.
There's the Baker Act where if someone exhibits being a threat to themselves or others, and there's the federal law of being adjudicated mentally defective...
Oh then there's that redflag nonsense where one does not even need valid proof just call the cops and claim a person is a threat, then police show up, confiscate, and then the individual that is accused has to prove they're not guilty of being a threat...
Another law in Florida, nobody under 21 can purchase a firearm.

Short of a police/nanny state with agents or cameras in the home. Exactly how do you propose enforcement of the law?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies