Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 08:50 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dognight View Post
It got altered. Barry had a new one made up and wrote Hawaii in the blank instead of Kenya? Do I win?
Troll much?

The birthers persist in the belief that in 1961:

A very pregnant white 18 year old and her African husband magically funded and travelled 11,000 miles from Hawaii to Kenya, with multiple connections, and

Kenya was in the midst of a civil war, and

Interracial relations and marriages were against the law in Kenya.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2019, 08:52 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Based on the degree that a candidates background is investigated it is just a matter of time before some news agency reports that so & so did whatever back in 3rd grade....

Based on the money spent by campaigns and PACs, if there’s dirt, it will come out. If there is no dirt it will be manufactured and spread online.

Old 03-25-2019, 09:03 AM

45,380 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Even though this thread is moronic there is a need for some education.

If you were told about having a permanent record then that is true. While in school all records pertaining to you (attendance, grades, testing, discipline, medical events requiring outside intervention, etc.) are kept on site (usually) and sent to your next school when you leave for the next level or move. They're kept in what is typically called a Limited Access File (LAF) which can be accessed by staff upon sign out for a variety of reasons. Courts can also access them for proceedings.

Once you graduate those documents are removed from the school and stored centrally. They used to be put on microfilm after a period of years, seven was typical, and retained. Today they're digitized.

My former school system, where I taught, claims it has records back to the 1920s. I doubt that simply because it can screw up a one float parade.

My parents' school system no longer exists, it was merged with a couple others, but its successor system still has their records on file. They graduated in 1937 and 1939.

As a note, when I was teaching I often pulled a LAF for a high school kid that was six inches thick, all discipline referrals.

Old 03-26-2019, 11:56 AM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Each of my report cards, parent-teacher conference notes and one sample of my school work from each grade-level were stored by the school.

At the beginning of my military career, I needed an SSBI to be completed for my security clearances. That initial SSBI included some poor slob rooting through my elementary school records.

Old 03-26-2019, 12:16 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
They are held in storage at the BOE in your area. I know that they have mine at my local public school system. I saw it before in my 20s. Had a cute pic of me in it from kindergarten when I first started school! Note some areas/states destroy the records after a certain period of time.

Old 03-26-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Even though this thread is moronic there is a need for some education.

If you were told about having a permanent record then that is true. While in school all records pertaining to you (attendance, grades, testing, discipline, medical events requiring outside intervention, etc.) are kept on site (usually) and sent to your next school when you leave for the next level or move. They're kept in what is typically called a Limited Access File (LAF) which can be accessed by staff upon sign out for a variety of reasons. Courts can also access them for proceedings.

Once you graduate those documents are removed from the school and stored centrally. They used to be put on microfilm after a period of years, seven was typical, and retained. Today they're digitized.

My former school system, where I taught, claims it has records back to the 1920s. I doubt that simply because it can screw up a one float parade.

My parents' school system no longer exists, it was merged with a couple others, but its successor system still has their records on file. They graduated in 1937 and 1939.

As a note, when I was teaching I often pulled a LAF for a high school kid that was six inches thick, all discipline referrals.

Wanted to note on your parents record's and claims of records back to the 1920s, I believe that they probably do have them.

Our local school district sends school records to state archives. As a genealogical researcher, I have reviewed school information for some of my older relatives from the 1930s in particular. One of my elderly cousins died last year and she was over 100 years old and I have some of her records from when she was in school in the 1920s/1930s. She graduated high school in 1932.

In Ohio, our state archives also has information for old and current state hospitals. People would be surprised what states keep and for how long.

Old 03-26-2019, 12:24 PM

45,380 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Wanted to note on your parents record's and claims of records back to the 1920s, I believe that they probably do have them.

Our local school district sends school records to state archives. As a genealogical researcher, I have reviewed school information for some of my older relatives from the 1930s in particular. One of my elderly cousins died last year and she was over 100 years old and I have some of her records from when she was in school in the 1920s/1930s. She graduated high school in 1932.

In Ohio, our state archives also has information for old and current state hospitals. People would be surprised what states keep and for how long.
The system where I taught doesn't pay its bills on time and regularly bounces payroll or forgets to authorize employee insurance coverage. That's the genesis of doubting they have, or have access to, the records.

I'm sure they meant to keep them but someone got distracted. Actually, I do know they've lost records because a few of my former students have needed theirs and they couldn't be located.

Old 03-26-2019, 12:30 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times
The IRS has it.

Old 03-26-2019, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The system where I taught doesn't pay its bills on time and regularly bounces payroll or forgets to authorize employee insurance coverage. That's the genesis of doubting they have, or have access to, the records.

I'm sure they meant to keep them but someone got distracted. Actually, I do know they've lost records because a few of my former students have needed theirs and they couldn't be located.

That's a shame in regards to the bold. Most states have rules about old records in that they are supposed to be sent to state archival locations across the state depending on the record after a certain period of time.

I'm working right now with someone in our state archives to see if I can find some information regarding my great grandmother who died in 1938 at a state hospital. Nurses got off shift and found her laying outside in the snow. Newspapers said she "fell" or "jumped" but older relatives in the family always felt she was murdered/pushed out of a window. Going to see what they have about her death. An autopsy was performed so going to see if they have that too. They may have been lost/damaged or destroyed. Unfortunately many records are destroyed just because they are not housed properly or due to fires. This particular great grandmother actually went to school with my cousin who died last year so I was able to get some of her high school records as well.

Old 03-26-2019, 03:04 PM

1,768 posts, read 567,898 times
I thought you were referring to "Free to Be You and Me".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies