Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 10:23 AM

8,320 posts, read 4,291,521 times

Advertisements

So … 100 year old news is now a 'hot topic'?

In that case .. the boll weevil decimates cotton crops, some guy named Edison just invented moving pictures and Lizzie Borden was found innocent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2019, 10:25 AM

28,911 posts, read 14,260,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ww3cMgFr2xQ

Bison kept the grass fields healthy and offered Natives food and building material. The savage Americans slaughtered them for market demand and the evil American consumer took it all for their high living standards.

Damn them all.

Yes, you are correct. Americans also slaughtered the Native Indians as well. It was a shameful period, but there isn't much I can do about something that happened over 180 years ago.

Bison is tasty , and I have a pair of hand made boots out of Bison that will out live me.

Old 03-25-2019, 10:28 AM

15,507 posts, read 6,364,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Yes, you are correct. Americans also slaughtered the Native Indians as well. It was a shameful period, but there isn't much I can do about something that happened over 180 years ago.

Bison is tasty , and I have a pair of hand made boots out of Bison that will out live me.
There is plenty you can do.

Stop corporate/outsider organization of local wildlife for production and allow the people who live on the land to organize and manage their nature.

That means less development and consumer choice, but a greater and freer people at harmony.

Old 03-25-2019, 10:30 AM

15,507 posts, read 6,364,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
All it would've taken would be to recognize the tribes as legal entities with ownership rights just as any US or foreign entity. Survey the land on which they resided and record the deeds. The next step by the tribes would've been to limit the number of bison on their lands to allow the ranches to be self-sustaining.
Of course. Local people would still sell bison meat and fur to markets, but they would control production and management of the ecosystem, not some outside corporation/profiteers who only care about maximizing profits.

Old 03-25-2019, 10:32 AM

77,737 posts, read 59,870,178 times
Here is some actual American history for those interested.

Lewis & Clark on their expedition west noted in their journal that one of the tribes that had become better armed had pushed Sacajawea's tribe off good land and westward up into the poorer mountainous land.

They noted a Buffalo hunt using the trick to stampede them off a cliff and how that first tribe only took the best cuts of meat and left the rest to rot. Fast forward to when they got to Sacajaweas tribe and they were starving to the point that when L&C's party shot a deer, the tribe members ate it raw where it fell.

So many interesting realities in history beyond the basic bleached version of things.

Old 03-25-2019, 10:34 AM

52,221 posts, read 33,940,879 times
Quote:
You've never tasted really bison, just processed trash.
you have no earthly idea what anonymous internet forum posters have or have not eaten

Old 03-25-2019, 10:47 AM

78,866 posts, read 46,338,463 times
Quote:

Bison kept the grass fields healthy and offered Natives food and building material. The savage Americans slaughtered them for market demand and the evil American consumer took it all for their high living standards.

Damn them all.
Stupid people Slaughtered the Bison, to starve out the Indians.

Old 03-25-2019, 10:49 AM

14,888 posts, read 9,968,886 times
Quote:
You've never tasted really bison, just processed trash. People who live on the land have to respect the Bison for if they kill them off all suffer, but now all you have to do is wait for a corporation to ship you your meal and eat.
I've hunted bison twice and have never eaten processed bison but thanks for your opinions.

Old 03-25-2019, 10:50 AM

3,950 posts, read 2,937,435 times
Quote:

Damn them all.
Well then why are you using the evil white man's technology?

Old 03-25-2019, 10:52 AM

3,950 posts, read 2,937,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
I live in rural Colorado, next door to a bison ranch. Even had a herd of them stampede through my yard a few years ago.

It isn't like they are extinct.
I just saw some last week on my trip to Denver. I, too, was amazed there were still some. I learned in class a week before that trip that all the bison were gone. I guess not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies