Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2019, 11:11 AM

20,454 posts, read 12,372,428 times

Advertisements

if we don't abandon ACA and the current insurance scheme we will eventually end up with a single payer system which is in effect an insurance scheme run by the government....that cant even run the freaking post office....

we have death panels today because we have insurance companies in charge of healthcare.
we will have death panels in charge tomorrow if we turn this over to single payer government run healthcare.

we need to blow the system up, and create a system where there are actual doctors and patients being in charge of health care.

its doable. but we wont do it because no one wants to fix this problem. there is too much money and power out there for the taking by having this problem. there is too much fear among those who might really lean toward fixing the problem.

there is no way we fix it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2019, 11:14 AM

2,271 posts, read 1,665,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
McConnell announced today that he will wait for Trump's plan. The last time McConnell waited for Trump the Govt was shut down for 35 days.

Trump has no plan as usual
Yes, I don’t consider McConnell a funny guy but his response was hilarious. He basically said to Trump “sure, buddy, you get together with Speaker Pelosi, hammer out this wonderful new plan, and then you can get back to me”. Major put-down.

That said, premiums, deductibles and drug costs are way too expensive. At the very least, the income level for subsidies for singles and families need to be at least doubled. Just not sustainable for the middle class paying a huge amount of money every month for health insurance. There should also be a catastrophic option offered to everyone at the level they choose.

I belong to neither political party.

Old 03-29-2019, 11:29 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,006,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
That is a terrible analogy. When it comes to health care, anyone is susceptible to getting sick or injured at any time. If you don't drive a car you are not at risk of having a car accident. You may get hit by a car and if the driver of the car doesn't have insurance you are screwed if you don't have your own. Everyone should have health insurance -because every one of us is at risk.
I think you've missed the point.

If the idea that costs are reduced simply by mandating people to purchase it--then it shouldn't be a problem, regardless of whether we're talking about healthcare or cars. If it's for the "good of society" then it shouldn't be a problem.

And to the specifics of your point--while we all have "risks" we all do not have equal "risks." I should not have to pay for you being at a a higher "risk" than me--you should only be responsible for your own risk.

Old 03-29-2019, 11:50 AM

8,116 posts, read 3,661,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
I don't give a rodent's rectum whether the GOP has a plan. I care that the DNC, as usual, screwed the working class in order to buy the votes of the poor. Obamacare needs to go away and the government needs to get their greedy paws off of healthcare. There has never been a government program which couldn't be done cheaper and more effectively by the free market. Want the cost of health insurance to go down? Open up the market. Want the cost of health care to go down? Abolish insurance altogether and get rid of the extra 4 people in every doctor's office that do nothing but deal with insurance companies. Anyone who thinks that more government involvement will do anything other than inflate prices has never read a history book and/or has the reasoning skills of an 8-year-old.

I have no idea what you are calling "free market" in relation to healthcare, but Medicare overhead is about 2-3% in contrast to the insurance companies overhead of 15-20%.

Then you say to "abolish" insurance but keep the government out, so basically direct transactions between patients and providers, is this right? So, say you need 1 mil cancer treatment, you go in, write the 1 mil. check and get it?

For many reasons free market does not work for healthcare. One important reason being that people are averse to dying. One should not have a problem not buying a new and shiny phone, if it is "too expensive", but most will get a needed life-saving treatment regardless of the cost.

Old 03-29-2019, 03:07 PM

3,354 posts, read 1,231,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
That's very true, and of course Democrats will oppose anything that is truly affordable and logical.
Huh? (More eyerolls)

Old 03-30-2019, 08:44 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,644,836 times
My husband has had Medicare for some years now. We've never had one issue w/ it or coverage. We have, however, had plenty w/ his secondary, which is private insurance. You can pound your fist all day about "government run" insurance, but until you have it and see how it works you don't understand much.

Old 03-30-2019, 07:20 PM
exm

3,720 posts, read 1,777,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post
The judges keep rejecting and striking him down. Great judges!

Federal judge rejects Trump’s health-care plan to go around Obamacare

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.1cf131fea552

Why is this is a good thing? Why is giving people the option for a stripped-down version a bad thing? Let me guess, you want them to either:
- Don't have insurance
- Pay a boatload of money for insurance with sky-high deductibles?

This is the middle class that's getting hurt.

Old 03-30-2019, 07:33 PM

25,436 posts, read 9,793,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
That's very true, and of course Democrats will oppose anything that is truly affordable and logical.
What have they been presented with from the GOP that is affordable and logical? Links please.

Old 03-30-2019, 07:41 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,874,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
What have they been presented with from the GOP that is affordable and logical? Links please.
Not a thing, but sometimes that isn't such a bad thing. Look what we got with the ACA?

The F-35? Ford Class Carrier? Sometimes it's better to wait and be patient than to rush into something so complicated. The Dems rushed the ACA through, they had to threaten and bribe members of their own party to vote for it. As a result we got a really bad piece of legislation. The damned web site cost is over 5 billion... Talk about a porksters dream come true.

We could have studied what Australia and Germany and other successful programs have and reapplied. But, No it is better to spend billions just on a website.

Old 03-30-2019, 07:45 PM

25,436 posts, read 9,793,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Not a thing, but sometimes that isn't such a bad thing. Look what we got with the ACA?

The F-35? Ford Class Carrier? Sometimes it's better to wait and be patient than to rush into something so complicated. The Dems rushed the ACA through, they had to threaten and bribe members of their own party to vote for it. As a result we got a really bad piece of legislation. The damned web site cost is over 5 billion... Talk about a porksters dream come true.

We could have studied what Australia and Germany and other successful programs have and reapplied. But, No it is better to spend billions just on a website.
I and millions more like me are able to have affordable insurance through the ACA. If and when there is a better alternative, I'm all for it. Why haven't the GOP been working on an alternative all these years? It's because many of their constituents have the ACA and it's better than what was out there and they know it. That's why they're all freaked out about Trump talking about repealing and replacing it, which he will never do, BTW. First, because he has no idea "how complicated healthcare is." And if he doesn't have someone putting it together for him, like McConnell has refused to do, he's dead in the water because he sure as hell doesn't have the brains to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies