Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2019, 10:12 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times

Advertisements

I guess you have to go back to the 60's and remember the race riots and division. Or you could go back to the Civil War era, which was probably our darkest hour. I think the frustration started with government in the 80's when the corruption was ramping up. It became legal to raid pension funds. The middle class started shrinking in the 80's. In 1971 it was 61% percent of house holds. I remember my father working and my mother staying home. We had a house and a new car every few years. By 2015 only 50% of house holds were considered middle class and both parents had to work to achieve that goal. Add to the mix Citizens United which was in my opinion our further undoing. We now have a Plutocrat/.Kleptocrat in office and big money running our country. Greedy companies use laborers as a commodity and only care about profits. The middle class is struggling even more. That leads to a feeling of hopelessness and frustration. Who better to take that vitriol out on then some one who doesn't look like us or speak like us? Trump saw that and capitalized on it with this constant hate rhetoric that keeps a frustrated base whipped and manipulated. "Only I can fix it." The base believes it. Never mind that their news channels promote conspiracy theories, lies, and gloss over corruption because "everyone is doing it, so there fore, it's normal." Normalizing hate is a destructive way to run a country, but, here we are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2019, 10:16 AM

1,415 posts, read 1,094,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
I guess you have to go back to the 60's and remember the race riots and division. Or you could go back to the Civil War era, which was probably our darkest hour. I think the frustration started with government in the 80's when the corruption was ramping up. It became legal to raid pension funds. The middle class started shrinking in the 80's. In 1971 it was 61% percent of house holds. I remember my father working and my mother staying home. We had a house and a new car every few years. By 2015 only 50% of house holds were considered middle class and both parents had to work to achieve that goal. Add to the mix Citizens United which was in my opinion our further undoing. We now have a Plutocrat/.Kleptocrat in office and big money running our country. Greedy companies use laborers as a commodity and only care about profits. The middle class is struggling even more. That leads to a feeling of hopelessness and frustration. Who better to take that vitriol out on then some one who doesn't look like us or speak like us? Trump saw that and capitalized on it with this constant hate rhetoric that keeps a frustrated base whipped and manipulated. "Only I can fix it." The base believes it. Never mind that their news channels promote conspiracy theories, lies, and gloss over corruption because "everyone is doing it, so there fore, it's normal." Normalizing hate is a destructive way to run a country, but, here we are.

And the liberals made it worse jumping on the blame white people for everything mantra.

Old 03-27-2019, 10:25 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,455,334 times
When Did This Level Of Hatred And Division Start?

June 16, 2015

Old 03-27-2019, 10:33 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Serious question.

I've been around a long time. I remember the Nixon years and onward. I was too young to remember Johnson, and Kennedy was killed when I was a baby. I've thought about all the different presidents and what was happening at the time and I don't recall there being *this* level of pure hatred and division between and among people in the U.S. much before 2016.

I'm not saying it didn't exist, just I don't recall this amount and intensity. It's like an obsession of hatred. What the heck happened?

I read some of these vitriolic posts and wonder what happened to the person to make them like this. When did it start? (And don't start with "liberals did this and liberals did that..." That's a total cop out.)

Seriously, WHAT HAPPENED to you? (you = anyone who is spending time angry at or even feeling emotions as strong as hatred for other people and spewing those feelings).

Forget the media and talking heads and all of that. I'm talking about YOU. What happened *to you*?

tRUMP HAPPENED!

Old 03-27-2019, 10:35 AM

9,897 posts, read 3,429,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Serious question.

I've been around a long time. I remember the Nixon years and onward. I was too young to remember Johnson, and Kennedy was killed when I was a baby. I've thought about all the different presidents and what was happening at the time and I don't recall there being *this* level of pure hatred and division between and among people in the U.S. much before 2016.

I'm not saying it didn't exist, just I don't recall this amount and intensity. It's like an obsession of hatred. What the heck happened?

I read some of these vitriolic posts and wonder what happened to the person to make them like this. When did it start? (And don't start with "liberals did this and liberals did that..." That's a total cop out.)

Seriously, WHAT HAPPENED to you? (you = anyone who is spending time angry at or even feeling emotions as strong as hatred for other people and spewing those feelings).

Forget the media and talking heads and all of that. I'm talking about YOU. What happened *to you*?
Internet.

Old 03-27-2019, 10:35 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,431,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Is this tongue in cheek? If not, one of the more bizarre rants I have read on here. You can't be serious.
He's serious. Read his post at #47 for his solution on getting rid of bad elements in society.

Old 03-27-2019, 10:37 AM

9,897 posts, read 3,429,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
tRUMP HAPPENED!
Good point. A portion of the citizenry (and nons) won't accept the election of Trump, so they unleash their impotent rage on the rest of us.

Old 03-27-2019, 10:38 AM

16,082 posts, read 10,747,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Obama had nothing to do with starting that nomenclature, but he did have more than any other president
As your own cited reference states: "In the United States, the informal political term "czar" or "tsar" is employed in media and popular usage to refer to high-level officials who oversee a particular policy. There have never been any U.S. government offices with the title "czar", but various governmental officials have sometimes been referred to by the nickname "czar" rather than their actual title." This was never an official title but just a catchy label applied to program or policy leaders by the media and pundits too lazy to actually determine or list the person's title.

Old 03-27-2019, 11:00 AM

13,954 posts, read 5,625,642 times
VJ Day.

That was the last time Americans were remotely united on anything. Every day since the division just grows and grows.

Trump, Obama, etc...nothing new. Just more days since VJ Day.

Anger is the default state of human beings.

Old 03-27-2019, 11:14 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
VJ Day.

That was the last time Americans were remotely united on anything. Every day since the division just grows and grows.

Trump, Obama, etc...nothing new. Just more days since VJ Day.

Anger is the default state of human beings.
I don't know. I travel, and see lot of places where people don't hate each other. I think it has to do with the two party system where people's choices are limited to "us" or "them".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies