Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2019, 06:17 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,254,619 times

Advertisements

How do you avoid getting caught up in it? I used to think that if you were good enough and tried hard enough, you could fight the stupid and evil people in politics. Like Mr. Smith going to Washington.

Now I'm more likely to defer to Nietzsche, who said
Quote:
Beware that, when fighting monsters, you yourself do not become a monster... for when you gaze long into the abyss. The abyss gazes also into you.
I am so disgusted with the actions of politicians and I know that I would just become demoralized if I "went to Washington", so to speak. And I know that the politicians know that about me, and are counting on it, and make politics such a hellish place because they want control over it. So politics is dominated by awful people who drive everyone else away.

There is a Chinese national at my work who says life in China is pretty good as long as you stay away from politics. If you try to mess with the system, it comes down hard on you. Is the US really all that different?

How democratic is the US actually? It seems more like a bully oligarchy to me. If you have a bully personality, you can hack it in government. If you don't, well keep your head down and pay your taxes. Or else.

At least in the US we can caterwaul online and make jokes about our "leaders". And you can nibble around the edges like move to a different city or state that suits you better. But it seems like an inescapable part of the human experience that we are doomed to be lorded over by sociopaths.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2019, 06:40 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,120,999 times
Anarcho-capitalism, agorism, voluntaryism, or a combination of any of the three.

Old 03-27-2019, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
Anarcho-capitalism, agorism, voluntaryism, or a combination of any of the three.
Sure you can drop out of the system, but that doesn't mean it will leave you alone.

I know how to live with a clean conscience. I'm despairing more about how to live without being pushed around.

Old 03-27-2019, 06:51 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
Sure you can drop out of the system, but that doesn't mean it will leave you alone.

I know how to live with a clean conscience. I'm despairing more about how to live without being pushed around.
You converted to one of the aforementioned philosophies?

Old 03-27-2019, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
You converted to one of the aforementioned philosophies?
No, I think they are utopian and expose oneself to greater exploitation than a well-prepared defensive posture.

Also, I don't see coercion as the root of government evil. I'm more concerned with corruption.

Old 03-27-2019, 06:57 PM

3,930 posts, read 2,098,635 times
Speak your mind, stand for what you believe in, be willing to listen to others, AND do not waste your time debating with those that are not willing to listen. Enjoy life outside of the political bubble

Old 03-27-2019, 06:59 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
This is very simple.

You wake up in the morning and wash the dishes, keep yourself clean and then help as many people as you can. You spend time on your own education, entertainment and enjoyment.

Period.

We Hippies went through all the various sages, gurus, religions and substances. We came to the same conclusions that most of those in history came to.

Be Here Now.

Chop Wood and Carry Water.

Old 03-27-2019, 07:02 PM

45,230 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Keep voting. Remember government is you and you are it.

Old 03-27-2019, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Sportsfan View Post
Speak your mind, stand for what you believe in, be willing to listen to others, AND do not waste your time debating with those that are not willing to listen. Enjoy life outside of the political bubble
This might be as good as it gets, in the US at least.

If you speak your mind in China you can end up in prison or worse.

My problem is that I want the world to be better, rather than accept it as it is. And, probably foolishly, I see politics as a means because its influence is so obvious.

That said, politics is about the worst way to try to improve things. It always goes sideways. If you're really committed to helping the world, you cure polio and give it away for free.

Old 03-27-2019, 07:03 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post

Work for yourself.
Marry the right partner.

Don't get involved with toxic people.

Accept being pushed around by your mate.....but give as good as you take (in a nice way).

Having to do things for money seems to be a tough one. I was lucky and hardly ever had to do this...that is, I worked for myself as soon as I learned enough trades to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies