Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2019, 09:24 AM

37,937 posts, read 17,789,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo3000 View Post
Why would a gay person be a Republican?

Being gay and a Republican is an oxymoron.

Why do you think some on the Democratic side say this?
Why would a man be a Democrat?

Being a man and a Democrat is an oxymoron.

Why do you think some on the Republican side say this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2019, 01:36 PM

44,256 posts, read 64,192,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I disagree. I am happy that the GOP has become more libertarian in the last decade, but there is still a minority within the GOP that is made up of bible thumpers. They are in the minority, but they still have a strong foothold on the party. Mike Pence is evidence of that.

And I can easily overlook that as a necessary “evil” because it has little effect on my life, but I am sure a gay person has to weigh that more heavily than I do because the agenda of the religious right has a direct and profound impact on their lives. Prior to gay marriage, a gay spouse had no say in the treatment of sick spouse in the hospital, they had to pay inheritance taxes that heterosexual spouses did
Well, the many gay people I know and my wife and I who general hold what used to be considered Republican views (as opposed to religious right pandering) do not find it difficult to not vote for democrats just bc now they have found it convenient to pander to gay people.

As for spousal rights, before gay marriage was legal, we had a lawyer draw all that stuff up. I'm not saying gay marriage was not awesome, but I won't pretend it was really important to the democrats.

The lawyer cost me $3000.
Obamacare cost me over $100,000.

Old 03-29-2019, 01:59 PM

20,410 posts, read 12,328,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo3000 View Post
Why would a gay person be a Republican?

Being gay and a Republican is an oxymoron.

Why do you think some on the Democratic side say this?
oh that's simple. Democrat ideas suck. they cant win by putting their ideas forward. they have to have something else. so they go with fear and loathing. its who they are.

PS. Donald Trump is the first Republican presidential candidate to have an openly gay person speak (in prime time) at the Republican National Convention.

Donald Trump as a candidate stated flatly that gay marriage is settled law. He has done NOTHING to back away from that view.

Trump was forceful in his denunciation of the attack on the Florida gay night club. stating clearly that attacking people for being gay was wrong.

Nothing about Trump is now or ever has been anti-gay.

Old 03-29-2019, 02:21 PM

78,866 posts, read 46,469,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibginnie View Post
You must not know many gay people. I'd say half of the gay people that I know consider themselves conservative. They have often said that it was much easier to come out of the closet as gay then it is to come out as conservative. However, some do not consider themselves Republican. They lean more Independent or Libertarian but still, conservative.

And before you think I must not know many gay people, my roommate from college is gay. We roomed together for 3 years. I met many gay people during that time. I still socialize with most of them. Last year we had a large pool party/BBQ and out of the 40ish that attended more than half are gay. I also have a few gay family members. I know their friends too.

Being gay and conservative is only an oxymoron to those that have little tolerance for someone different than themselves.

Brilliant minds that will not let others think for them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9_6ua1qLw4

Old 03-29-2019, 02:47 PM

5,901 posts, read 2,828,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
oh that's simple. Democrat ideas suck. they cant win by putting their ideas forward. they have to have something else. so they go with fear and loathing. its who they are.

PS. Donald Trump is the first Republican presidential candidate to have an openly gay person speak (in prime time) at the Republican National Convention.

Donald Trump as a candidate stated flatly that gay marriage is settled law. He has done NOTHING to back away from that view.

Trump was forceful in his denunciation of the attack on the Florida gay night club. stating clearly that attacking people for being gay was wrong.

Nothing about Trump is now or ever has been anti-gay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies