Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2019, 02:25 AM

4,559 posts, read 1,436,094 times

Advertisements

Repeal and steal.
Trump just slaps his name on Obamas old policies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2019, 03:15 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,621,263 times
Trump building a wall is not a serious solution to the problem of immigration.
It is a campaign promise.
Trump destroying Obamacare while not offering a serious solution to the health care system is a campaign promise.
He is just checking off the campaign promises checkbox so that his base will vote f
or him again!
Nothing more.

Old 03-29-2019, 03:24 AM

5,717 posts, read 3,145,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
As ACA is already in place wouldnt the logical course of action be to fix your percieved problems with ACA rather than starting over from scratch.?
The problem with ACA is that it's just another form of wealth redistribution. But once you "fix" that part, there fundamentally is no ACA anymore. So whether you repeal it or simply defund it really makes no difference.

Old 03-29-2019, 03:39 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
The problem with ACA is that it's just another form of wealth redistribution. But once you "fix" that part, there fundamentally is no ACA anymore. So whether you repeal it or simply defund it really makes no difference.
The repulicans never really gave the ACA a chance as they were trying to repeal it before it even got started and after it was enacted repubs did everything they could to tear the program down, defunding it of course drove the price up and then all the repubs had an excuse to say it didnt work .
https://www.google.ca/search?ei=S-id...30.YKpMkK9CuJc

Old 03-29-2019, 03:46 AM

5,717 posts, read 3,145,508 times
Quote:
The repulicans never really gave the ACA a chance as they were trying to repeal it before it even got started and after it was enacted repubs did everything they could to tear the program down, defunding it of course drove the price up and then all the repubs had an excuse to say it didnt work .
https://www.google.ca/search?ei=S-id...30.YKpMkK9CuJc
Defunding doesn't drive the cost up. It drives it down to exactly zero.

Old 03-29-2019, 05:26 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
I once heard a commentator say that the problem with fixing U.S healthcare is that everybody wants to promote reforms that fix everything related to healthcare. This is what makes things complicated. Instead it was suggested to focus on reforms that fix one thing. Like lowering cost or increasing access. You need to choose which area to improve healthcare in and mainly focus on that.
THIS!!!

I've always said this.

The ACA was over ambitious. It needed to be phased in more slowly. There needed to be a more measured approach and yes -- deal with each problem on its own.

The replace of the ACA should be done in the same way.

But Trump likes a chaotic approach to problem solving. He likes to blow it up, so then whatever solution he implements seems to 'make it all better'.

Identify the problems -- why are some people paying such high premiums and others not.

I've asked that question a million times here and none of us know. ACA didn't have a huge negative impact on me. I know some people that their premiums soared. Why them and not us?

Old 03-29-2019, 05:59 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,501,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
THIS!!!

I've always said this.

The ACA was over ambitious. It needed to be phased in more slowly. There needed to be a more measured approach and yes -- deal with each problem on its own.

The replace of the ACA should be done in the same way.

But Trump likes a chaotic approach to problem solving. He likes to blow it up, so then whatever solution he implements seems to 'make it all better'.

Identify the problems -- why are some people paying such high premiums and others not.

I've asked that question a million times here and none of us know. ACA didn't have a huge negative impact on me. I know some people that their premiums soared. Why them and not us?
The answer to your question is because some people get subsidies and some people pay the full and inflated amount. Example:

60-year-old woman earning $50,000 = pays around $1200 a month for mid-range plan
60-year-old woman earning $35,000 = pays around $150 for same plan

Now think about this. The first woman is earning $15000 more per year than the second woman, or about $1000 more per month after taxes. Because of subsidies, the lower earner has just as much spending money as the higher earner. OBamacare effectively equalized the lower-middle class and the low-income - and killed the incentive to move up the income ladder from working class wages to a middle class salary.

Old 03-29-2019, 06:23 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,708,302 times
Quote:
And if you come down with a medical catasrophe that costs hundreds of thousands then what? just die.?
No, then the insurance that I paid for kicks in. I neither asked for nor wanted the government to get involved in my healthcare. I want the government to do its job as delineated in the Constitution. Artificially inflating the cost of healthcare is not part of their job description.

We already had a system in place for those who legitimately could not afford healthcare, and the preexisting condition issue could have been fixed far more effectively by expanding that system rather than completely destroying what was left of the free market economy by handing the insurance companies what amounted to a blank check.

Old 03-29-2019, 07:57 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Democrats don't and won't support any health care plan Trump comes up with, that's a given. If he supported a single payer plan, they would reject it immediately. America knows.
Would Trump’s supporters embrace single-payer if Trump proposed it?

If so, why?

BTW, further proof that the administration can’t get it right with regards to their ideas about heath care coverage.

“A federal judge ruled against the Trump administration's highly touted small-business health insurance plan, calling it an "end run" around consumer protections provided by the Affordable Care Act.”

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/donald-...n-struck-down/

And:

“For a second time in nine months, the same federal judge has struck down the Trump administration's plan to force some Medicaid recipients to work to maintain benefits.”

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...s-for-medicaid

Old 03-29-2019, 08:06 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
I'm wondering if this is going to be hard for the Repubs in the 2020 election. Do we remember that the 2018 election was really centered on medical insurance, despite Trump's efforts to distract us with his "invasion"? That was a year that Repubs suddenly became believers in covering preexisting conditions. (A rapid conversion.) But voters saw through this and we get a Democratic House. So now Trump brings it us again. He makes a small committee of Senators to make a plan, since he has no idea at all what to do (Who knew it was so complicated?) What are the chances that they will come up with something that covers everyone, covers preexisting conditions, and costs less? This is going to be interesting, and I am thinking that even more people may realize that the Republican plan is basically non-existent. When people see the specter of their families losing their health insurance, it will not be good for Trump and his minions.
I think it’s very likely that it will create issues for the GOP in 2020.
Trump’s announcement seems to have knocked quite a few back on their heels.

“Most Republicans don’t want to openly defy Trump, but many are privately complaining about the president ordering them back in the Obamacare minefield.

“We need a plan, and right now we don’t have one,” said one frustrated Republican senator, who requested anonymity to speak candidly. “I’m not going to just throw this to the whims of our creativity.”

Other lawmakers have tried and failed in the past few days to steer Trump away from the idea, telling him the anti-ACA push is bad for his own reelection campaign.”

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...h-care-1241142
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies