Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Maryann White right about her concerns about 'leggings', as discussed below?
Yes 27 25.96%
No 77 74.04%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 11:22 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,894,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I know a woman with bright pink hair who makes 6 figures. I know lots of people like that.

Times have changed dramatically, plus, it all depends on where you live.

In Hawaii you NEVER (almost) wear corporate wear, it is just not a thing here, men don't even wear ties, except in rare occasions like being IN court. Plus, I worked in an ultra-conservative line of work (politics) and STILL wore leggings, but with a blazer over them. No one batted an eye.
Absolutely. And I would have no issue with pink hair, as long as it was groomed. Not groomed, again, says something about that person's decision-making ability.

So why are some people so shocked that leggings aren't appropriate? All that is in the thread is defense defense defense because well, they are so super great for everyone and should be worn in every setting all the time, no matter how tight, no matter if the shirt is cropped, tucked in, no matter what, etc.

Which is not the case at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2019, 11:28 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,516,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Absolutely. And I would have no issue with pink hair, as long as it was groomed. Not groomed, again, says something about that person's decision-making ability.

So why are some people so shocked that leggings aren't appropriate? All that is in the thread is defense defense defense because well, they are so super great for everyone and should be worn in every setting all the time, no matter how tight, no matter if the shirt is cropped, tucked in, no matter what, etc.

Which is not the case at all.
It’s a nonissue that you’re trying to make into an issue.

Old 04-01-2019, 11:31 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,894,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
It’s a nonissue that you’re trying to make into an issue.
So why are you posting??? SMH.

Old 04-01-2019, 11:34 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,516,827 times
Quote:
So why are you posting??? SMH.
Because I want to. Also, to point out you’re wrong about it. Also, you’re bringing up things that no one has said simply to argue.

Old 04-01-2019, 02:01 PM

36,163 posts, read 30,636,498 times
Quote:
Go back and read the conversation.

Amazing how people think one post = conversation, then comment with complete ignorance of context. Seems the same posters do this over and over.

Pretty problematic in CD land, I would agree wholeheartedly.
I read the posts. No one said anything about going to a job interview wearing leggings except you.

Old 04-01-2019, 02:12 PM

10,196 posts, read 6,267,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
I wouldn't, personally. But I don't want a corporate job, so I wouldn't go to a corporate job interview in the first place. I rarely ever wear a Real Human Woman Bra anymore... only sports bras, so I know my limitations. You hardly ever see a Big Boss with a Uni-boob.

But if some other person wanted to wear leggings and thought it was best for them, I'd respect their choice. I wouldn't call them "skanky" or any other pejorative word. I'd just assume that perhaps they'd live and learn... or maybe they'd actually get the job. Maybe the Head Honcho also likes leggings and would think, "Hey, that's exactly what this company needs. More comfortable clothing choices." He or she would send out a memo to the entire company, saying, "We're implementing a new dress code. Clad your 'nethers in leggings, if you feel the desire." The accountant exclaims at the next board meeting, "We're all rich! We're in the black for the first time, ever!"
"Hmmm," the CEO thinks, "Maybe buttless chaps would be the next logical step."

I'm only joking around, but I think that most of the tech startups have lost that old dress code mentality and leggings probably wouldn't cause anyone to even take notice today.
My husband used to have to wear a suit and tie to his engineering job. (He's in his late 50s, so that was pretty standard then, I suppose.) And then they realized it really added to the chasm between the engineers and the factory workers with whom he interacted every day, so they loosened up the "stuffed shirt" look. He wears jeans and T shirts to work in his office. I've offered him my leggings but he doesn't want the other guys getting all jealous.
My husband worked in Tech. Moved to Florida in the early 2000's. At first they had a Business Casual Dress code. Then it went to pretty much anything goes: shorts, tshirts, and sandals. It gets very HOT and Humid in South Florida.

I worked in Public Schools there. Almost the same. Male Teachers wore walking shorts and golf shirts. Female Teachers wore the same and long sleeveless sundresses, and both sexes FLIP FLOPS! Since I worked with disabled students, it was whatever was whatever was reasonable to take care of the students. Never wore flip flops; too dangerous.

Old 04-01-2019, 02:16 PM

10,196 posts, read 6,267,801 times
My feeling on the leggings. Sexy is all in the mind of the beholder. If you find a 5'1", 100 lb. woman dressed in leggings to be too sexy, maybe you are the one with the problem. Do you find 8 year old girls in leggings to be sexy too?

Old 04-01-2019, 02:32 PM

19,468 posts, read 12,103,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
My feeling on the leggings. Sexy is all in the mind of the beholder. If you find a 5'1", 100 lb. woman dressed in leggings to be too sexy, maybe you are the one with the problem. Do you find 8 year old girls in leggings to be sexy too?
Not sure I want to touch this one. A couple of Kardashians are about that height and could hardly be confused for child's bodies. OK, Kim is no 100 lbs., but Kourtney prolly is.
How about Eva Longoria, or Kylie Minogue. Just sayin.

Old 04-01-2019, 03:25 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,671,498 times
Such a dumb argument, but I think that leggings shouldn't be worn as pants. Before 2012 or so, they were really only worn for exercise or under skirts or long blouses.

Also, there are some people out there that really shouldn't be wearing anything tight. People need to wear clothing that fits your body style correctly.

Old 04-01-2019, 04:49 PM

29,108 posts, read 14,425,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
I have a friend who is a body builder. She posted a photo of herself yesterday. She is in Aruba, rescuing stray dogs. In the photo, she just happened to be in a swimsuit, which was appropriate for being on a beach in Aruba. Most of the comments were respectful. She's doing something good to help the world, after all. People like that.
But then, the One Guy... "Hey, why don't you take those swimsuit bottoms off so I can see your tattoo?"
Yesh, toxshic mash-koo-linity. That's it right there. Buff lady wants to help save dogs. Icky guy on the internet wants to see her pu**y. He's like a turd in the punchbowl and he doesn't even realize it.

Like you said, subtlety is the key word. I don't care who looks at me and what they think. But if they start spouting off opinions at me or asking me to change something, I'm going to put on my leggings so I can really kick and stretch... and then I'm gonna kick and stretch, maaaan. Really give them something to talk about.

PS. please take my words in the lighthearted way I intend them. The dang internet seems to have ruined any kind of conversation other than the angry kind.
It's all good. And i agree with you 100%, a subtle look is harmless...the moment one opens their mouth to make a stupid comment, they deserve to get called out or smacked upside the head.

Love your punch bowl analogy , it couldn't be more spot on. There are just too many guys that just don't get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies