Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2019, 11:49 AM

2,277 posts, read 1,671,627 times

Advertisements

A minor teen should not have been removed from the airplane and separated from a parent after they boarded together without the mother’s knowledge. Period. I can’t imagine getting off the plane hours later and realizing my 15 year old daughter was not there, only to find out she had been left behind in the airport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2019, 11:51 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,912,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Yes, and they frequently offer incentives besides a rescheduled flight. But if there are no volunteers, they start booting people anyway. Happens a lot.
Overselling flights as a practice should be banned.

I understand the economic argument for why it is done, but it is very anti-consumer.

In this day and age of cell phones and social media ubiquity, if I were running an airline, I wouldn't even want to deal with that negative fallout. In fact, I'd go the opposite direction and use it as a selling point (guaranteed seat on every flight!). It's a bit surprising no airline has seized on this opportunity (kind of like Southwest with bag fees).

Old 03-29-2019, 11:57 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post

I understand the economic argument for why it is done, but it is very anti-consumer.
This is why one should always check in online ~24 hours ahead of flight time (and consequently get a seat assignment) when that option is offered. Airlines will frequently boot those who checked in last when they do so when there are no volunteers to take a later flight.

Old 03-29-2019, 11:57 AM

3,536 posts, read 2,859,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Standard airline contracts pretty much allow them to do anything short of beating you with a bat.

don't like it? Start your own airline.

Predicted result: 1000 dollars to go away.
"Start your own airline" hmmmm or the government could tell this airline that it is banned from using puplic run and paid for airports or use the public run and paid for air traffic control system.
Or they could change there practices and stop throwing kids off of there planes.
Or they could build there own airports and traffic control system.

Old 03-29-2019, 12:00 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,912,422 times
Quote:
This is why one should always check in online ~24 hours ahead of flight time (and consequently get a seat assignment) when that option is offered. Airlines will frequently boot those who checked in last when they do so when there are no volunteers to take a later flight.
I think that policy is absurd. If you want to use an order of operations, it should be based on the order of when you bought your flights, not who was the fastest to log on to a website the night before.

The only time check in time should matter is if you miss the ~30 min FAA window - then yeah, your seat is fair game.

Old 03-29-2019, 12:08 PM

3,536 posts, read 2,859,637 times
Quote:
Personally my opinion is if your on the plane and seated, they can offer you compensation but if there is no takers then the late comers are s#$@ out of luck.
Also airlines that overbook should be fined $2500 per person that gets bumped (paid to the people bumped)

Old 03-29-2019, 12:08 PM

Quote:
I think that policy is absurd. If you want to use an order of operations, it should be based on the order of when you bought your flights, not who was the fastest to log on to a website the night before.
People book flights on short notice all the time. For many, it's not always easy to make specific plans months ahead of time. But, yeah, I understand the frustration caused by overbooked flights when the airlines start involuntarily booting people off a flight.

You get to the airport, get to the gate, board the plane with your boarding pass. That's your seat on the flight. Period. That's how I feel about it, anyway.

Old 03-29-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
Personally my opinion is if your on the plane and seated, they can offer you compensation but if there is no takers then the late comers are s#$@ out of luck.
Also airlines that overbook should be fined $2500 per person that gets bumped (paid to the people bumped)
Agree.

Old 03-29-2019, 12:24 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:

I'd argue that the airlines have done enough research on this that they're better off with having to give out vouchers etc. once in a while and maybe angering some people than having higher prices.

As such, I'm not sure why that's anti-consumer.

P.S. If you're arguing that they pass none of that along to the passengers then explain how airlines are not a competitive industry.

Old 03-29-2019, 02:51 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock4 View Post
A minor teen should not have been removed from the airplane and separated from a parent after they boarded together without the mother’s knowledge. Period. I can’t imagine getting off the plane hours later and realizing my 15 year old daughter was not there, only to find out she had been left behind in the airport.
Most time I would in fact sit with family but if I couldn't and this happens you bet I would be suing for the entire ticket package and hotel costs, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies