Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 02:48 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,114,683 times

Advertisements

Veltz, that is true. Nations all over the globe are increasingly becoming balkanized into their own similar groups. Actually, Denmark is having an issue keeping their workers...many are leaving for other surrounding countries with lower taxes.

Regardless of what a person looks like; welfare is wealth redistribution and fosters hostility among the classes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2008, 02:50 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,413,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
There are so many things to disagree about in this country, just look at how active this board is. Even groups of people that typically agreed with each other are now splintering off and squabbling. In the past we were a nation that was united by a common culture, language, history, and religion; even the immigration laws reflected this…but it is no longer the case.

We most likely all agree that politicians are awful but yet America keeps voting for the same two parties that put forth the same types of candidates.

I would think that perhaps the one thing that we could all agree on is that we’re proud to be Americans, but that’s not true…there is a portion of the population that is “ashamed” of being American, and others who would disregard the sovereignty of their own country.

So my question is this; what in America can unite us, what can we all agree about? Or, have the things that divide us become so numerous, the disagreements so personal, that we cannot unite about anything?
America cant unite because the things I highlighted are no longer important to most of us.
Today the history of where people come from is more important that our history. Today the language of the country people come from is more important than learning English, today the culture you left isn't left any more. folks bring it with them & America bends to it.

Still we can save the Union if we simply insist on adherence to the constitution. The biggest issue as I see it isn't the cultures or languages or divergent histories. Its the expectation of changing America to suit newcomers. If they liked it where they were they should have stayed. If they like what we have to offer then why trash it once you get here?

Old 04-11-2008, 03:39 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,637,107 times
It's an interesting question.......obviously, as others have noted, that an external threat is a great and quick way to unite the country. If our country was actually invaded, or more likely a dirty bomb was to go off somewhere within our borders you would see a great surge of togetherness and common purpose.

I do see more and more people, both liberal and conservative, that are feeling frustrated by others with an entitlement mentality. The harder it gets to build up savings the more resentful this countrys working/middle/upper classes are going to be with those that do not work, and don't even attempt it. I think that there is going to be a 'personal responsibility' revolution within the next 15 years.

Old 04-11-2008, 03:48 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,471,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I think that there is going to be a 'personal responsibility' revolution within the next 15 years.
That would be nice. Especially if it were to lead to greater recognition by some folks of their Personal Responsibility® to work with and help care for others. We have a lot of people trying to walk away from that one around here...

Old 04-11-2008, 03:53 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,416,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
There are so many things to disagree about in this country, just look at how active this board is. Even groups of people that typically agreed with each other are now splintering off and squabbling. In the past we were a nation that was united by a common culture, language, history, and religion; even the immigration laws reflected this…but it is no longer the case.

We most likely all agree that politicians are awful but yet America keeps voting for the same two parties that put forth the same types of candidates.

I would think that perhaps the one thing that we could all agree on is that we’re proud to be Americans, but that’s not true…there is a portion of the population that is “ashamed” of being American, and others who would disregard the sovereignty of their own country.

So my question is this; what in America can unite us, what can we all agree about? Or, have the things that divide us become so numerous, the disagreements so personal, that we cannot unite about anything?
We are not as divided as some would think. Look at the approval ratings of our government, Congress is something like 18%, and the president is something like 20%

we all are united that we do not like what our government is doing.

Old 04-11-2008, 04:01 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,554,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
We are not as divided as some would think. Look at the approval ratings of our government, Congress is something like 18%, and the president is something like 20%

we all are united that we do not like what our government is doing.
Good point. I'm sure MOST of us are also pretty much "against" Syphillis, High Taxes, and corporate fraud......and probably we're mostly all FOR lower gas prices, airline safety, and keeping child molesters 'off the street'...so you're right, we're not TOTALLY divided, at all...

Old 04-11-2008, 04:12 PM

290 posts, read 524,032 times
Go to LP.org and take the worlds shortest political quiz. I think you will find that you lie in the same general area of the spectrum as the vast majority of people.

World's Smallest Political Quiz

Old 04-11-2008, 07:09 PM

208 posts, read 412,131 times
Veltz you are right on the money!

Yes, with a homogenis society you can have more of a national purpose and unity.

It's a safer society, with a better standard of living and a sense of community like Denmark and Japan.

After Pearl Harbor, millions of men lined up in droves to go fight.

Look at "diversified" present day America and 3 planes are taking over by terrorists, 2 crashed into the WTC and the third into the pentgon. No where near as many men signed up to fight as their grand-fathers (or great grand-fathers) did after December 7, 1941.

America is a glass house. I'm an extremely patriotic person but I know when I've been had. This ain't your grandfather's America.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:06 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,114,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Good point. I'm sure MOST of us are also pretty much "against" Syphillis, High Taxes, and corporate fraud......and probably we're mostly all FOR lower gas prices, airline safety, and keeping child molesters 'off the street'...so you're right, we're not TOTALLY divided, at all...
The thing that divides us is not what we're against...it's our proposals for solving the problems. Healthcare is a problem; some want "free" healthcare and others want less government regulation and more free market...it's not the issue itself that divides us it's the solution.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:34 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,508,145 times
Default dreams

Look America needs a new "Dream". Something that give the nation a really worthwhile goal. Something that can get America's energies flowing in the proper direction. A lot of you have spoke of liberty and our Constitution that gives us our right to liberty. OK Liberty is a "Dream" and we have achieved it. So now let us push on with our liberty and make ourselves a new Dream.
Now do I know what that new dream should be? No. I'm not that type of visionary. But I'm willing to listen to someone who may have something to offer.
So what dreams do you have to offer me and the Nation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies