Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2019, 08:21 AM

9,541 posts, read 4,367,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
To be near cultural and entertainment amenities, they like walkable neighborhoods, suburbs are too quiet and boring (if not too conservative), diversity of personalities and lifestyles (not just race, orientation, identity, etc), more openness to the non-mainstream (which makes them feel less constrained from being their real authentic selves), car-centric culture creates long commutes and pumps more crap in the air relative to living close to the city center.

Nope. They're just falling for a romanticized notion about city life, which you did a great job of describing. As they get older they'll realize that crime, noise, poor schools, having no car is a huge inconvenience, vermin infestation, etc. are the real city and they'll move to the suburbs. It's not just Millennials. This has been going on for generations.

Young folks of all generations did and do dumb things. They don't have the life experience to know any better, but think they're smarter than older people. I was the same way as a youngster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2019, 08:24 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,763,018 times
I don't think is just young white people, jeesh. Their black, Hispanic and Asian friends are rooming with them.

Old 03-31-2019, 08:26 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,065,019 times
I'm ready to retire and want to be in an urban center for all the noise, crime and all that -- and conveniences. Easy access.....

I love city life. It isn't just young people that choose city life.

If you don't like city life -- it doesn't make you a better human being, or smarter -- it just makes you....wait for it.......DIFFERENT.

And guess what different is not better just different.

Enjoy your life and stop judging others for goodness sake.

Old 03-31-2019, 08:30 AM

5,527 posts, read 3,265,568 times
The premise of the thread is wrong.

The back to the city movement was active in 2009-2010, but since then most urban growth has been on the suburban periphery. Regarding millennials, the most attractive cities have begin to shed millennials as they age and start families, and as the born in the mid-90s demographic bulge ends and the supply of young people shrinks.

These Cities Have Already Reached Peak Millennial | Time

Many cities have already passed "peak millennial".

Old 03-31-2019, 08:30 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,763,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I'm ready to retire and want to be in an urban center for all the noise, crime and all that -- and conveniences. Easy access.....

I love city life. It isn't just young people that choose city life.
Me too! Country life and commuting don't suit me at all anymore. I'm planning to move to a medium-sized city in the next few months, and am looking for places within 5 minutes of the city center. I must be a dumb white millennial, who knew.

Old 03-31-2019, 08:32 AM

2,092 posts, read 3,580,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Nope. They're just falling for a romanticized notion about city life, which you did a great job of describing. As they get older they'll realize that crime, noise, poor schools, having no car is a huge inconvenience, vermin infestation, etc. are the real city and they'll move to the suburbs. It's not just Millennials. This has been going on for generations.

Young folks of all generations did and do dumb things. They don't have the life experience to know any better, but think they're smarter than older people. I was the same way as a youngster.
You really don’t have much room to judge what is “dumb” when you yourself are making a pretty dumb argument. I wouldn’t trade my 20s and early 30s living in a big city for anything. Suburban life is for me now, but when I was younger and childless, why would I want to live in a suburb surrounded by families? I had the time of my life in a big city when I was single and mingling and playing music and close to all the nightlife. If that’s what you dumbly consider “dumb” then I am glad I was “dumb.”

Old 03-31-2019, 08:38 AM

9,541 posts, read 4,367,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
You really don’t have much room to judge what is “dumb” when you yourself are making a pretty dumb argument. I wouldn’t trade my 20s and early 30s living in a big city for anything. Suburban life is for me now, but when I was younger and childless, why would I want to live in a suburb surrounded by families? I had the time of my life in a big city when I was single and mingling and playing music and close to all the nightlife. If that’s what you dumbly consider “dumb” then I am glad I was “dumb.”

So, basically, your living choices are precisely what I stated. Thanks for proving my point.

Old 03-31-2019, 08:46 AM

2,092 posts, read 3,580,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
So, basically, your living choices are precisely what I stated. Thanks for proving my point.
Weak response. I would never describe what I did as dumb, it was great, and I wouldn’t change it for anything.

Old 03-31-2019, 09:14 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,724,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
To be near cultural and entertainment amenities, they like walkable neighborhoods, suburbs are too quiet and boring (if not too conservative), diversity of personalities and lifestyles (not just race, orientation, identity, etc), more openness to the non-mainstream (which makes them feel less constrained from being their real authentic selves), car-centric culture creates long commutes and pumps more crap in the air relative to living close to the city center.

I think it started with the success of cities like Seattle and Portland and to a lesser extent cities like Boston and Minneapolis. These were large cities with low minority populations and where whites never fled the high density urban cores....especially the areas with historic housing stock.

The high tech industry seemed to blossom in these type of environments( white urban areas). I think whites who visited those areas, who were from metro areas where whites left the urban core, found it attractive to be able to live in core urban areas where there were white people. The best and brightest young white graduates where being recruited to places like Seattle, Portland, San Francisco and they all became enamored with urban WHITE living and all the amenities it offered as opposed to their suburban upbringing.

Now, corporations are pushing their host cities to create such environments in order to keep and or recruit the best and brightest to work in their companies. Therefore, in cities like Detroit, where whites nearly completely abandoned the core city, has seen a surge of new white residents to its core, facilitated by aggressive investment in the core by wealthy corporate heads located in Detroit. In order for cities to compete for the best and brightest workforce for the "new economy", they have to create urban living spaces for whites in central cities. Young whites are actively looking for such environments and will relocate to other areas if the area that they live does not offer it.

Not coincidentally, the suburbs are now opening up for blacks like never before, for in order for whites to reclaim city territory.....blacks will need to leave those areas and where will they go if the suburbs are still closed off to them? So subsidized and low income housing has increased exponentially in the suburbs of man cities and blacks having coveted the suburbs for so long, but kept out due to cost or discrimination, are jumping at the opportunity to live in suburbs for the perceived "better schools" and lower crime.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 03-31-2019 at 09:22 AM..

Old 03-31-2019, 11:29 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,070,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I think it started with the success of cities like Seattle and Portland and to a lesser extent cities like Boston and Minneapolis. These were large cities with low minority populations and where whites never fled the high density urban cores....especially the areas with historic housing stock.

The high tech industry seemed to blossom in these type of environments( white urban areas). I think whites who visited those areas, who were from metro areas where whites left the urban core, found it attractive to be able to live in core urban areas where there were white people. The best and brightest young white graduates where being recruited to places like Seattle, Portland, San Francisco and they all became enamored with urban WHITE living and all the amenities it offered as opposed to their suburban upbringing.

Now, corporations are pushing their host cities to create such environments in order to keep and or recruit the best and brightest to work in their companies. Therefore, in cities like Detroit, where whites nearly completely abandoned the core city, has seen a surge of new white residents to its core, facilitated by aggressive investment in the core by wealthy corporate heads located in Detroit. In order for cities to compete for the best and brightest workforce for the "new economy", they have to create urban living spaces for whites in central cities. Young whites are actively looking for such environments and will relocate to other areas if the area that they live does not offer it.

Not coincidentally, the suburbs are now opening up for blacks like never before, for in order for whites to reclaim city territory.....blacks will need to leave those areas and where will they go if the suburbs are still closed off to them? So subsidized and low income housing has increased exponentially in the suburbs of man cities and blacks having coveted the suburbs for so long, but kept out due to cost or discrimination, are jumping at the opportunity to live in suburbs for the perceived "better schools" and lower crime.
Here in NYC ethnic whites are still leaving the city and moving to suburbia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies